It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Year of Manufacture for Italian Firearms
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hopper810 wrote:
do you know if a person could find out any of a gun's history?

No, I don't. Neither Beretta nor BATF will provide information.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for this chart and post. Just found my Beretta 391 Teknys is a 2005 model. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 am 
Field Grade

My Vinci is marked with CF on the barrel, that would suggest the barrel was proved in... 2011?
I believe the barrel was forged in 09 as the s/n on the barrel suggests, and I bought the gun in Nov 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Beretta USA does not have a date code chart on their website which is more up to date than the one above, and I have not yet located the web site for the Italian government proof house. However, I suspect they skipped CE in 2010 just like they skipped BE (E is too easy to confuse with F). If that is correct, CF would indicate 2010.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:43 am 
Field Grade

Confirmation: CF (boxed in) on a new AL 391 Urika 2 Sporting 30" 12 ga. I just picked it up last week from a dealer and they just received it from Beretta.

The CF nomenclature is both on the bottom of the receiver and barrel.

Really a beautiful shotgun (second Urika in my gunsafe). My previous is older 20 ga Urika!

But what does "extra grain" on the grip mean?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

duff645 wrote:
But what does "extra grain" on the grip mean?
It means the stock is made from plain wood that has been treated to make it look like fancy grain.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you very much Seamus, I just discovered my 99% TT25 dates to 2002 [BS]. Will fire it for first time at Orvis Sandanona tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Seamus. I just bought a 24" barrel online for my 390 walmart. It was factory new but cheap so I was expecting a Turkish barrel. I was pleasantly surprised to see everything marked with P. Beretta and Made in Italy! There was even an old 390 sticker on the box under a newer 3901 sticker. My old 28" barrel was new in 2008 and was made in Italy, but only says Beretta, not P. Beretta. So I got to wondering the story on this new barrel. Thanks to you I now know it was new old stock from 1998. That explains why that coat of gunk on it was so sticky. I am tempted to buy all the barrels this place has, because I think they may soon be worth twice what I paid. Thanks again. And I now know the 28" barrel was made in 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 am 
Tournament Grade

My 12ga Legacy 28" has a date code roll mark "BZ" which would be 2005. Really awesome to know, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you for posting this info. I was able to determine the date of production of two of my Italian guns.

687S Beretta 20ga --BB - 1992
Benelli Super Sport --CA - 2006

Last edited by Rod B on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for posting all this. My new 686 has a proff mark CL . Am assuming it was manufactured in 2013 as it has the new back boring, forcing cones, and optima HP bbls. Just my assuming.

bp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

big pattern wrote:
My new 686 has a proff mark CL . Am assuming it was manufactured in 2013...
Correct.

This thread was started in 2006 and was updated in 2012. I see it is time to update it again, and I will edit the original post as follows: 2013 - CL, 2014 - CM

BTW, be careful about using the date codes for recent years from documents or internet posts that are a few years old, as some of them contain errors. I even found a post on an NRA web site that was wrong. The author apparently wrote it several years ago and attempted to project what the date codes for future years would be - but he overlooked the fact that the codes omit several letters because they are easily misread. For example, there is no Q because it is too easily mistaken for O, especially if the code is lightly stamped, and an E looks too much like F. Some other letters are omitted for the same reason. I have searched every source I can find, and I believe I have the codes right.

Last edited by Seamus O'Caiside on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks again seamus, for verifing my assumtions on the proff marks being CL for 2013 manufacture year.
It is sort of confusing because skipping some letters in the proff marks. Speaking of the Beretta web site, I have found several discrepencies in their information. They seem to be way behind the factory with their information.

bp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Type in the serial number and it seems to be a fairly accurate date and info site.

http://www.berettasupport.com/applicati ... ch_new.htm

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WGB wrote:
Type in the serial number and it seems to be a fairly accurate date and info site.

http://www.berettasupport.com/applicati ... ch_new.htm

Bill

That is a good resource. Thanks for the reminder. However, "This application only works for firearms imported and distributed by Beretta USA Corp..." Beretta USA was created in 1980, but it was several years after that before BUSA started importing Beretta shotguns. The date code system goes back to the 1940's. Also, remember that serial numbers of barrels for Beretta automatics do not match the serial numbers of the actions, but the barrels manufactured in Italy do have proof date codes, which can provide useful information about the history of a used gun. The guns manufactured in the USA do not have date codes, so the Beretta USA database is the only source of dates.

BTW, the date codes on Beretta semiauto barrels don't always match the ones on the receiver - I have seen many original barrels with dates one year different from the dates on the receivers, as they came from the factory. A few might be 2 years or more different.

I own a lot of Berettas, but very few of them are in the Beretta USA record system. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:50 am 
Field Grade

I am by no means an expert with any of this. Question on the validity of XX9 mark being the same as XXIX date. I have a S57E marked XX9 but this shotgun was discontinued in 1967 so a 1973 mfg. date would be wrong. Am I missing something? Any chance that the 9 stands for the month? Using just the XX = 1964 seems to be more likely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TN Boy, I am sure that XXIX and XX9 are the same date, and that date is 1973. Apparently, the problem is in your information that the S57E was discontinued in 1967.

I have a copy (in .pdf) of Beretta's English-language catalog covering the years of 1971-1979 (Beretta did not publish catalogs every year in those days) and it lists all of the variants of the S-series, including the S57E. That does not establish a date for the discontinuance of the S57E, but it does prove that it could not be earlier than 1971. Therefore, a date code of XX9 does not surprise me at all.

Where did you get your information that it was discontinued in 1967? If it came from the Blue Book, I'm not surprised: there are a lot of errors in the BB.

If you want to see the 1971-79 catalog, send me a PM with your e-mail address in it, and I will forward it to you.

BTW, thanks again to Gianluca Garolini (an Italian gentleman who moderates an Italian-language forum similar to SGW) for sending me that .pdf.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:08 am 
Field Grade

:oops: That is why I mentioned that I am no expert. I didn't want anyone to think I was calling anyone out with this date thing. :wink:

Seamus, I checked and it seems the mfg. dates came from BB. In my research I found several conversations about mfg. dates and they all ended up referencing the BB. I think one was as far back as 2007.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Can anyone shed some light of a series number from a 686 silver pigeon seriel number L90788B, I can't find anything. Thanks BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the good info! My SP 1 sporting 32 was made (proofed?) in 2011 and purchased in 2012. It's the only one I know of with no mid bead; for the sake of trivia.

Beretta SP I sporting 32" 12ga, Win SX3 Sporting 32"12ga, SX3 walnut field 28"12ga, Marlin LC Smith model sxs by Fausti in 12, Verona 662 sxs (s/n 0008) in 20 by Fausti and Yildiz 20ga-the nicer one, and finally a plain 870 12ga