It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Identifying Beretta Choke Tube Types
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wonder, is your barrel and after market barrel? If not, were the chokes added after the fact?

My 303 Special Trap (note: it doesn't say A303, just 303) has a 30" barrel with a fixed Full choke. When I got it, the previous owner had added a second 32" barrel with Mobil chokes. So, it's possible that your barrel was originally fixed and had chokes added later. In that case, they could be unique and not related to Beretta chokes at all.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From the pictures, it looks to me like someone is mixing up, std moblil and "mobll extended" chokes. Of course the extended is going to be longer, and have a knurled portion beyond the muzzle.

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You may be right jug, but notice that the skirt of the tube in question doesn't go much beyond the threads. If it did then I would agree with you, but it doesn't so I think it's a unique animal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ldf wrote:
I just bought a used A303 12ga Special Trap, manufactured in 1988, and I've looked through this thread and can't identify what type of choke tubes it . Any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99037701@N00/7158747791/

Better look now. I believe your 1988 barrel has after market tubes installed. Looks like Coloniel, or True Choke, best I can see.

VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is definitely an after-market choke tube.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:46 pm 
Field Grade

jugchoke wrote:
ldf wrote:
I just bought a used A303 12ga Special Trap, manufactured in 1988, and I've looked through this thread and can't identify what type of choke tubes it . Any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99037701@N00/7158747791/

Better look now. I believe your 1988 barrel has after market tubes installed. Looks like Coloniel, or True Choke, best I can see.

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked up the specs on the True Choke tubes and compared them to the one I have, and everything seems to match (threads/in, diameter, length), so I think that's what it is. I ordered a couple and hope they fit. Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 am 
Utility Grade

This is my first post, so let me first say thank you to all the contributors to this forum. It has made very interesting reading.

I am still left with one unidentified choke tube, which I hope someone can shed light on.

It is an Optima-Choke PB-C-SP C****

The four stars would make it an IC, the C would suggest cylinder perhaps, but that would be abbreviated as CYL. The color band is a dark green, as the choke is used, it may have started out a different color and have faded.

Anyone any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it's an Optima Extended choke, green is usually Mod. My Optima Extended chokes are marked IC-SP-C**** for the Imp Cyl and CL-SP-C**** for the Cylinder.

In the end none of the marks on the choke matter. What does it actually measure? That's the first indicator, but more importantly, how does it perform at 40 yards? That is the true measure of a choke.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I read through this thread and would like to ask a question, Can I use extended Optima chokes on my gun, even though it came with Optima flush chokes.

As a side note -
I purchased a Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting 30". The choke tubes say Optima-Chokes on them, but on the BUSA website I have found it referencing it comes standard with Mobile Chokes. I have also seen it referenced as having Optima Chokes as standards too. Not that is not confusing enough, when I looked on the reference page for choke tubes, its says Mobile. {CR8

Referencing the barrel markings, it has OB adjacent to the guage stamp and is marked sporting, am I to assume the BUSA website is not fully up to date? Because it looks as though the standard uses Mobile Chokes, and the sporting uses Optima Chokes, depending if your on the BUSA or Beretta website. As a side note, it also says my gun comes with a mid-bead, but mine did not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdmartin wrote:
I read through this thread and would like to ask a question, Can I use extended Optima chokes on my gun, even though it came with Optima flush chokes

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 am 
Utility Grade

cdmartin wrote:
I read through this thread and would like to ask a question, Can I use extended Optima chokes on my gun, even though it came with Optima flush chokes.

As a side note -
I purchased a Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting 30". The choke tubes say Optima-Chokes on them, but on the BUSA website I have found it referencing it comes standard with Mobile Chokes. I have also seen it referenced as having Optima Chokes as standards too.

I have the same Sporting Silver Pigeon 1 as you, but with mid bead. The chokes in my barrels say Optima and measure 2-3/4" long. The beretta website also led me to believe Mobilchoke was spec, uggh.

Thanks for the labled picture. This thread is owrthy of a stickey! 8)

Post subject: Optima HP tube wrenches
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Could somebody please give me the part number on this choke wrench?
I can't seem to find it.
Is it possible that it's the same as the regular optima choke wrenches?

Thanks..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I guess they've decided to throw another wrench in the works. My wife's new SP1 uses Optima HP choke tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DouginAlaska wrote:
I guess they've decided to throw another wrench in the works. My wife's new SP1 uses Optima HP choke tubes.

Those are some years old now. I think I have had mine about 5 years, in a second UGB, whereas the first one was the standard Optima.
And I for one, found them seemingly to preform better than the previous types.

VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I screwed up Saturday evening and ordered a couple Comp-N-Chokes for her and ordered Optimas. I've emailed them since they aren't open today and will call them in the morning. Hopefully, I'll get it straightened out before they ship. The order shows as pending. When I ordered I followed the owner's manual which said Mobilchoke or Optima only. I later noticed the large sticker on the box which says, "USE OPTIMA HP only and of course, her choke tubes say the same. Should have paid attention I guess but it is kind of confusing.

Thanks much for the info jugchoke!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, they definitely won't interchange, "threads are even in different places", so it would be virtually impossible to, uh, no, I better hadn't go there!

Someone just might try a little force.

I just had a little trouble finding just plain Crio.
Every website I went to, wanted me to go Crio Plus.

Should be here tomorrow and they better be the right ones!
Ben/Ber, sure has muddled up their choke lines!

VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:56 pm 
Crown Grade

DouginAlaska wrote:

It's the Sporting model, right? The Sporting uses the newer style Optima HP chokes but the Field model used the Mobil chokes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 pm 
Utility Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
DouginAlaska wrote:

It's the Sporting model, right? The Sporting uses the newer style Optima HP chokes but the Field model used the Mobil chokes.

Yes sir, it's the Sporting model.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:53 am 
Field Grade

Guys, need advice... I've recently purchased A400 Extreme, came with 3 chokes.... I was looking to order briley but after research, i'm inclined to buy Poly choke II as you get 9 constrictions in 1 and seems easy to switch during the hunt....

Poly choke site has Optima, Optima Plus, whereas, the A400 xtreme manual says the choke is optima HP.....I wrote to poly choke to confirm which 1 should i order but they haven't replied in 6 days.....

P.S just checked Truglo Titan Adjustable and they don't have optima HP choke...... Strange, cant find adjustable optima HP choke.

Any thoughts, feedback?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, the HP is the newest and the latest, likely with the very tiny share of the market Poly commands today, they just havent seen fit to add another, low paying model.

I say that because the call for such a device has been going steadily downward percentagewise, even while porduction of the more standard type screw-in choke system has been growing by leaps and bounds.

I have been a user of them and they do have their place, say on a very light hunting gun, to add enough weight out at the muzzle, to smooth out a swing problem, more so than as a working choke. Along with the modern view so prevelant that they are just plain ugly, (which I never quite shared.) But am not using any today, either.

On top of the above, their design, I believe is inferior to what can be accomplished with modern physical dimensional capabilities in chokes. (I dont believe certain dimensions lend themselves to being incorporated into the spring type "petals" of the Poly design)

So, its very much a trade-off. At least today, they are not soldered or brazed on the barrel, so there shouldnt be the value of said gun, lost as previously.

VOTE!

NRA Benefactor