It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Action lock spring problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all. Nice place you've got here. :)

I have an older Western Field 550 that I recently replaced both action lock springs on. It wasn't always locking into battery (i could rack the action back and forth numerous times without having to dry fire or push in the release), and several folks recommended that the springs needed replacement. Given the age of the gun, and the lack of maintenance on dad's part, I agreed and did so.

Now, the action won't UNlock unless i press in the release button--even after dry firing. It stays locked until the release is pressed in no matter what.

Did I just reassemble things incorrectly, or is there something else wrong here?

Any information anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. :)

Post subject: re: Action lock spring problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

One of the two springs you replaced is used to release the action lock. Double check to make sure it is installed correctly. Also check to see that the pin is still in the hammer that hit and operates this spring. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:06 pm 
Utility Grade

don't suppose you'd have any sort of diagram or photo to help me along by chance, would you? brownell's and numrich's schematics are blurry at best; detail is much to be desired.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

http://www.americangunsmith.com/video.p ... .swf&id=40

If I were you I would order this DVD manual. It will walk you through complete disassembly and reassembly. It is well worth the money if you are going to do your own gunsmithing on the model 500. With this DVD or tape you can fix anything that will ever come up. The Mossberg is an easy gun to work on yourself if you are even a little bit mechanicly inclined.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 am 
Utility Grade

already got photos from another (non-shotgun-related) forum.

thanks though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 am 
Utility Grade

just to follow up, i had reassembled without getting the action lock hammer spring "tail" (the part the hammer actuates) in quite the right spot, so the hammer wasn't actuating that spring.

Got it taken back down, analyzed, and reassembled and now everything's running smoothly. :)

The factory polychoke barrel has certainly seen better days, as has the wood, so i think it's time for an 8-round magazine, 20-inch barrel, speedfeed stock set, and LPA ghost ring fun. :D