It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930.....reviews?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Herb. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy. I was sure that the gun didn't have a bulged barrel. I did a bit more searching, and I found the original article I was talking about. It's all about barrel modifications.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/T ... ePort.html

- I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning...and Hoppe's #9 in the afternoon.
- Proud owner of a Mossberg 930.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 pm 
Field Grade

Let me share some info on the Mossberg 930. I bought one with walnut stock and blued barrel. It worked fine. But what I really wanted was a camo model. Sold the walnut model
to my neighbor who eyed mine and loved it. Bought the camo model and every once in a while it failed to eject. I pulled it apart and lo and behold there was some camo paint inside the piston cylinder. When the piston shucked back and forth inside the cylinder sometimes it would stick and thew the timing off. Cleaned the paint out of the cylinder with steel wool
and also cleaned the piston to make sure that the whole assembly slid back and forth easily
You can do this by assembling the spring spacer and piston on the magazine and sliding in the barrel into the reciever with the bolt in the rear position. Then just grab the piston and pull it down towards the reciever and make sure it returns freely. Voila ,problem fixed. BTW
I think I am going to get another 930 in walnut/blue. It looks better on the skeet field than the camo. How is that for vanity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought my 930 with synthetic stock and 18 1/2" barrel a couple months ago. It is NOT my primary SD gun yet because of some problems. I like to load the mag tube with the bolt closed on an empty chamber to store for quick use. I then want to be able to rack the charging handle to chamber a round. However, the forward shell stop would not clear the edge of the shell in the mag to allow it to pop onto the elevator unless I really smacked the gun with my hand, and then it wouldn't always do it. Once I had a round in the chamber and began firing it worked beatifully. The hard jolt of the recoil was enough to shake the next round out of the mag tube. I sent it to Mossberg in late December and just received it back this week. I must say it looked like the mechanic didn't seem to care what it looked like when he repackaged it. It had metal dust in and out and a lot of general dust. I will take it to the range this weekend and put another couple hundred bucks worth of shells thru it to see if it is dependable. So far I'm not a big fan. (On the upside, I told my wife I still needed a defense shotgun so I bought a Mossy 590 pump last weekend. My usual story is that it's to protect her.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I've been looking into the 930. Thanks for the inputs. It's very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

First of all, let me thank each of you for so much input on this topic. I have spent the last month reading through this forum as I began my hunt for a semi auto under $650. I took a look at many models and was able to put a box of shells through each before making my purchase. Here is what I was able to "field test":

Stoeger 2000 - Hung up 3 out of 25 shells.
Remington 11-87 - This was a great shotgun, but it didn't "feel" right for me.
Beretta 930 - Very light gun and well balanced. At the top of the price range.
Franchi 612 - Great price. My second choice at the end of the day.
Mossberg 930 - Overall my choice for best feel, best price, and most reliable.

I wanted a semi auto to use mainly for trap/skeet and bird hunting. I already had a Mossberg Maverick 88 - not a bad pump for under $200. I have put around 1,500 rounds through her without any problems and only routine cleaning.

I was able to pickup the 930 in duckblind camo for $544 at my local gun shop. Taking note from reviews on this site, the first thing I did was field strip and clean the entire gun. Yesterday I was able to put 200 through her on the range - with zero problems. Heading to the trap park today with 400 shells to finish up breaking her in. Thank you all again for providing the information I was looking for. I am looking forward to many great years with this gun!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Surfer Dave.
Let me be the first to welcome you to this forum and congrats on your 930. You wont be sorry you bought this gun. As you know by now there are a lot of happy 930 owners here. When you have a question just ask away somebody will know the answer.

Member of:
Algoma Rod and Gun Club, Delta Waterfowl and NFA.

Last edited by Herb S. on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats and Welcome Dave,

Come back and report often!!

Smitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the welcome Herb and Smitty.

To date I have put 600 shells through the gun with zero issues. Saturday was spent at the range with two cases of shells to get a good look at the pattern. I took four cases of shells with me to the local trap range on Sunday. I shot six 50 round sets and one 100 round set over the course of four hours. I can tell you that my shoulder was a little sore the next day, but no where near as bad as I though it would be after so many rounds. The barrell never seemed to heat up, no ejections issues, and overall performance was above my expectations. I really like the thumb safety on the mossy. I have not made any drop/rise adjustments at this time - the gun seems to fit me well. I am 5'11" and about 190 pounds. This is my first semi auto, and I had no problem field stripping and cleaning the unit.

League shooting starts this week, so I will post often as I continue to put this gun through the paces.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good to hear. :D

Member of:
Algoma Rod and Gun Club, Delta Waterfowl and NFA.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Good evening.

New to the forum and my background is pretty much in pistol shooting, but I would like to get into trap and skeet shooting. I have been looking at 930s to use as a trap/skeet gun and all of your comments have really helped. I'm not sure what barrel length would best for that purpose, 26 or 28.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

woopedpup wrote:
Good evening.

New to the forum and my background is pretty much in pistol shooting, but I would like to get into trap and skeet shooting. I have been looking at 930s to use as a trap/skeet gun and all of your comments have really helped. I'm not sure what barrel length would best for that purpose, 26 or 28.

Any thoughts?

First off, Welcome to SGW and to the Mossberg forum!!

The choice between 26" & 28" barrels comes down to personal preference, I like the way the 28" barrel swings for skeet, it allows for a little more momentum so I don't "stop" my swing and "makes" me follow through... The "old school" of thought was a shorter barrel allowed for faster target aquisition... Nowadays, it seems the opposite is the norm, you'll see 32" & even 34" barrels out on the clay fields..

If you can, try and find one of each and see how they feel...

Smitty