It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Silver Reserve" Serial Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Have they ever determined what the reason for the firing pin breakage was?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Smitty,
I know this is an old thread but has anyone considered that the firing pin problem might be an opening and closing problem involving the top lever and the blocker plate? I just had a pin replaced at Gander on warrantee and it seems to me that just before the pin broke I may have made two mistakes. If you move the top lever to the right, it's possible to open the gun without locking the lever over. Also, I may not have (and probably didn't) open the gun all the way and cock both hammers. In this case, the hammers are laying on the firing pins and they are still extended into the breech. I unloaded the spent shell and loaded a fresh one and tried to close the gun. So, the side of the shell wapped into the pin and bent it. After that, it was sort of like driving a bent nail into a 2x4; it just wants to bend more. The gunsmith at Gander thought is was possible. By the way, TR12032xxx, if you're still taking notes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 pm 
Utility Grade

i've sent my 20/28ga. combo to maverick 4 times .the people are pleasant ,but the product is crap all 4 had cracked stocks after 3 times they sent me a different gun this one is aTR # at least the firing pins are improved but one time out the stock cracked ,one more time back now i have wood that doesn't match .I WOULD SAY STEER CLEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I think most people know that the SR is a "low-ball" gun. Mine cost me $500.00, not $5000.00. Therein lies the answer. You get what you pay for. But, what I want to know is, did you tried to close the gun when it wasn't cocked and/or the opening lever wasn't latched over to the right? I was thinking that that was the problem, that that was what was causing the pin breaking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

my 20ga is in the serial group needing retrofit
and was done new from the dealer I bought it from.... before purchase.....
contacted Mossberg after purchase to be sure, they confirmed the fix and they sent out 2 new spare pins in quick order, for free, as a good faith gesture
that was 3 1/2 years and over 2500 rounds ago
have yet to break a firing pin........ or have any failure
never an issue with the wood, stock or forend......
the spare pins Mossberg sent are still in my range bag
I firmly believe that a positive break to full open and positive snap to full close when unloading and reloading is the reason I've had zero failures, that and possibly a real cleaning and oiling regiment
the "bent nail" syndrome makes full sense to me....

my only complaint is with the razor sharp T lever to release the forend, that little rascal cut me more than once before I filed the edges flat.....
had I paid the price of a Citori or Pigeon, the sharp edge would have been inexcusable...
but for 1/3 of the money I can make an allowance....and buy a nail file....

saved by Grace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get yourself a new SR II and forget the problems from the original SR. They have been fixed and now the SR II is a beautiful gun, much better built.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:56 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Mossberg Silver Reserve II. Went and did 3 rounds of skeet this week end, and I broke the upper firing pin. My SR2 has just under 3000 rounds thru it. The SN is: SR 12 0049_ _. The SN falls in the range given as being the faulty lot, but it is a SR2. Contacted Mossberg. Pins and springs are on the way. I'm assuming these pins will be the llloooonnnngggggggggg term fix?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

MY SR2 has a little over 1850 rounds through it. Serial number is SR 12 0025__ Still on the original firing pins, no problems with the gun either. The serial numbers on the start of this thread are TR. Did I miss something?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The SN on my SR 2 is SR 20 120xx. No problems thus far and everyone in the neighborhood has borrowed it. That is no guarantee that it something bad won't happen on the next shot.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm thinking of getting a Silver Reserve, how do you guys find it ? any real issues ?
thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven't heard of any problems with the SR-II, the 1st gen, not so much...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Other than a heavy trigger pull, I like the gun. It's barrel regulation is great and thus far no problems. I wish the trigger pull was a few pounds lighter.