It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 wood
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:32 pm 
Field Grade

I see that the wood stocks on new Mossbergs are described simply as "hardwood". It seems to me when I acquired my Mossy back around 1984 the stocks were described as walnut. Does anyone know if this is correct? I can't tell one kind of wood from another :roll: .

EDIT: I e-mailed Mossberg with the serial number, because although I acquired it new I'm curious about the manufacture date, and they should be able to tell me about the wood. In case anybody cares, I'll post the info when I get it.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 wood
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think the new ones are birch, but Mossberg has made walnut stocks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Strength-wise Birch is good, but ihs very little character, Birch has about as much grain as a popsicle stick...

Walnut (even "plain") shows off it's gain much better than the birch. The reason they changed I'm sure has to do with cost, walnut is more expensive than birch....

I've seen some of the "crown grade" models advertised with walnut stocks...

Smitty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys. From your post Smitty, I'm thinking the stock on mine is walnut, because it shows a very nice grain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

My dad bought me a brand new New Haven 600CT in 1979. The hardwood stock on mine appears to be mahogany and nicely figured mahogany at that. I traded for a late 80s / early 90s vintage Mossberg 500C for the 24" vent rib Accu Choke barrel that has graced my New Haven ever since. The stocks on that 500c were definitely birch. I've seen older M-500's from the early 60s that had plainish walnut on them. As previously mentioned, the Crown Grade M-500s had walnut stocks, too.

I've never seen another New Haven with wood like mine, whatever it is. I do recall that the New Havens at the particular department store where my dad bought mine (Gemco in So. CA) had similar wood, but not as nicely figured in the butt as the wood on the gun I wound up with.

My gun also tips the scale at around 6 pounds, and is lighter than any other 20 guage Mossberg with birch or walnut that I've handled.

-JP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm pretty sure this is birch. The stock is from '95. The forearm is the original and from the late '70's.

This is after the God awful factory finish has been removed and redone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I have 2 1994 Crown grade 500's and both are walnut. One has good figure to it! I shoot the plain one the other is still NIB. I got it so when I wear out the 1st one I have a backup.
15000 rounds and the first one is still going strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am 
Diamond Grade

smallgamer wrote:
I see that the wood stocks on new Mossbergs are described simply as "hardwood". It seems to me when I acquired my Mossy back around 1984 the stocks were described as walnut. Does anyone know if this is correct? I can't tell one kind of wood from another :roll: .

EDIT: I e-mailed Mossberg with the serial number, because although I acquired it new I'm curious about the manufacture date, and they should be able to tell me about the wood. In case anybody cares, I'll post the info when I get it.

Side by side you will be able to see the difference very easily. The older Walnut on most Mossbergs I've seen is not what I would call nicely figured but still Walnut to me is much nicer to look at than the "hardwood" substitutes they use now. The good part about the plain grain Walnut is it is very stable. You don't see many Walnut Mossberg 500s with dry crack splits through the wrist area like you do on a lot of highly figured Walnut guns.
Though Mossberg has a Walnut lookalike treatment on the Birch I have not seen a Birch stock that I fell in love with (sorry Tn. Jim :( ) No matter what treatment other than paint they just look like a Pine 2X4 to me and sound like plastic when you handle them.
The cheapest way to get Walnut might be to buy a synthetic 500 and buy used Walnut on an Internet auction site. Then you can put the plastic on to trash around with it and have the nicer wood to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Havlin Sales is showing a walnut "Regal" 500 buttstock for $25, but they don't have the matching forends. (Web Specials page).

There's also a walnut dual-comb stock & forend set on the Modern Shotgun Parts page.

http://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Both of my 500's are from the late 70s and early 80s. Both are wearing birch stocks with a "walnut" finish. My Dad had one from the mid 60s that had a walnut stock and forearm.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Smitty in CT wrote:
Strength-wise Birch is good, but ihs very little character, Birch has about as much grain as a popsicle stick...

I dunno... I kinda like this. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:26 am 
Field Grade

I do like the color contrast, as a suggestion - it would really pop out if you had used a single color background. Is that DuraCoat?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 am 
Field Grade

Wow 1K, that is a sweet, sweet looking gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 pm 
Field Grade

I haven't received a reply from Mossberg yet. Here's a pic of the wood on my gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

This is my wife's pre68 500 with the original 40+ year old finish still intact.
It's Walnut with the very small groves cut in the forend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Very nice. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:02 pm 
Limited Edition

fibersport wrote:
I do like the color contrast, as a suggestion - it would really pop out if you had used a single color background. Is that DuraCoat?

Nope... it's just the standard Mossberg "Marinecote" finish. I swapped out the black plastic stocks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:54 am 
Utility Grade

Hey brothers! I know this post is like 6 years old but can anybody please tell me where I can find that wood stock and foregrip at? I would like to replace my Marinecote furniture with wood. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to ShotgunWorld, bbyrd7. A starting point would be to search for "mossberg wood" on eBay.com and something more specific on gunbroker.com. Neither stock nor forend pictured above are police furniture, and for sake of discussion I will assume that is what you want. Sellers often price police wood for far more than it is worth, say $140 or more. Watch the two sites often until you spot a set being sold by someone that does not know what they are and limit your bid to about $60.

Truthfully, my best approach has been to win gunbroker auctions for the entire old wooden riot guns where the seller is clueless about what he has for sale. I only buy the ATP8 riot guns, and never the ATP6 police guns. Be patent and watch auctions for perhaps five months if necessary, and spend no more than necessary. usually $200-$225, but I have spent as much as $375. Good luck, sir.