ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 Not cycling right NEED HELP
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, i have a Mossberg 930 and it isnt cycling right. I put 3 shell in it, shoots once, then the shell gets stuck. Then i pry the casing out and engage another shell into the chamber. then it doesnt even shoot for some reason. I need help i really love the gun. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 Not cycling right NEED HELP
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We need information.

How old is it? Exactly what is it doing? Round hanging in the chamber after firing? Failure to fire after cycling, failure to extract?

Have you completely tore the gun down and cleaned everything, and I mean everything. Had the shell stop out, magazine follower and spring out, butt stock off and action spring and plunger out, scrubbed the gas piston, magazine tube and barrel lug? If not it needs to be thoroughly cleaned and lightly oiled, just a light film, good coat of anti-seize on the choke tube threads. Take a eye dropper and your gun oil to the range and only use it to oil the rails of the bolt if it fails to cycle after cleaning.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Your problem may very well be what mossberg calls the forearm retainer. This is a plastic spacer like piece that is at the end of the gas operating system. Just unscrew the cap in the end of the forearm, take everything off until you reach this black plastic spacer. It has two tabs on each side of the spacer, one of them could be missing. Inspect the forearm retainer well to see if its cracked or installed backwards the tabs should be facing the receiver end. Maybe this helps, I had this happen to me and this is what fixed it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

Can you show a picture of what it looks like

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where are you located? I think you might need some help in person.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 pm 
Utility Grade

SD

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Red box is the retainer:

I highly suspect that is it. I think it needs a thorough cleaning, an inspection of the extractor, chamber and trigger group. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Exactly what is it doing, in infinite detail

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok I put 3 birdshot shells in it. Then I shoot it and the first one fires but doesn't eject. So I have to pry the bolt back. Would changing that black thing fix this?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Something else is wrong, when you say pry it back, are you physically using a tool to pry it back? If so you need to stop shooting it immediately and contact Mossberg for warranty

Have you torn the gun down? Is there a gunsmith in your locale?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Yea that's what im prolly gonna end up doing is take it to a gunshop and get it checked out

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 pm 
Limited Edition

No where in any of your post have you said what ammo you are using. My 930 SPX will not shoot some brands of ammo. Win Super X and Win Universals come to mind right off the bat. I have had win super x stick in the chamber so bad I had to use the side of the shooting bench to hit the bolt handle to get the rd. out. Some times the extractor will slip past the rim of the rd. it is stuck so bad. Go back to first base. Clean the gun , lightly lube, go get some GOOD ammo. Win AA, Rem STS, Federals, etc. Start with rds over 1200 fps. You need to figure out if you have a gun problem or ammo problem. If with good ammo you still have the same problem then you know it is the gun and back to Mossberg it goes. If the gun works with the higher grade of ammo then it may not be the gun. I have shot alot of rds. through my gun both factory and reloads ,with good ammo or good reloads the gun has given me very little trouble. Check the Mossberg Owners website and Brians forums there is lots of stuff on the 930 all the models.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I just picked up a brand new 930 SPX last night and when I took the gun apart for cleaning the forearm retainer was already cracked----is there a metal part to replace this plastic piece of crap?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Don't know of any aftermarket forearm retainers yet. Now that the 3 gun guys are looking at the 930 platform I am sure that if the demand is there someone will start to make a alum. one before long. My retainer has caused no trouble since I got my SPX. Since the gun is new call Mossberg and get them to send you a new one.