It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maverick 88 nomenclature question........
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Try AGAIN:

No, YOU try again. The Conn factory closed like three or four years back. Conn passed those laws banning some Mossberg products and they moved. ALL Mossberg shotguns, Mavs included, are manufactured from the exact same parts in the Eagle Pass factory. The only parts still American made, to the best of my knowledge, are the receiver....Mexican and US laws on manufacturing, exporting, and importing firearms, and the wood....US laws on exporting and importing wood. ALL else is made from the exact same parts by the exact same folks in the exact same factory. No idea on the rifles. Needless to say, that wiki is a bit out of date.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Conn 500 wrote:
Where is this exact same receiver casting? Mexico? As you have a thinking disorder and not necessarily an eye disorder-I'll make it easier for you. One-the 88 trigger assembly does not work in the 500-not even close. The Mossberg factory in Connecticut is 40 minutes from where I live and I have a cousin who was laid off about 3 years ago from Mossberg. The EXACT same factory is virtually vacant and has been for the last couple of years. Mossberg has been contracting out interrupters, extractors, barrels, bolts, plastic/synthetic stocks for years now. These parts are not made in Connecticut or Eagle Pass, Texas, rather, various contractors have been making them cheaply for the last few years. The 590 is supposedly still made in America of mostly American parts. You'd be hard pressed to find two models more interchangeable than the 88 and the 500. Aside from the trigger assembly and a slightly different shell interrupter on the 88, essentially the same gun. The 88 using even more out-sourced parts thereby cheaper for the consumer.

This one is getting strange. One insists the Conn factory is closed....but doesn't seem to know all Mossy shotguns are now made in the exact same factory in Texas....the other doesn't know the Conn factory is closed and that all Mossy shotguns, Mavs included, are manufactured in the EXACT SAME FACTORY IN TEXAS. Tell you guys, what....you two argue amongst yourselves. You're giving me a headache.

The 835 being a clone of the 500 was an example....same as trying to call an 870 Express a clone of a Wingmaster. Examples only. Didn't say you said it. Both were examples only. The Express is simply the lowest cost form of the same exact 870....the Wingmaster is the upper limit. The Mav 88 is the lowest cost form of the 500, the 500 in its diff forms is the higher. Both make a police version....the 590 and the 870 Police etc etc etc. ALL are the same family of guns, the 870's vs the 500's.

This pic is a Mav 88 and a 500.

Those are both copied and pasted together so the scale is a tad diff between them. My table here isn't that large.

These are the trigger groups of both.

Both together so same scale. Notice the ONLY functional part diff on the Mossy is the safety connector....that little vertical piece at the left of the 500 trigger group. Notice the safety connector slot is there in the Mav trigger group and the safety connector tab is present on the identical triggers themselves.

This is self explanatory.

Please excuse the oily smears and fingerprints. I wiped them off more than once but the guns are oily.

The Mav is made from the exact same receiver casting as the 500. The SAME. Not similar. Not a clone. Same part, same people, same factory. The Mav cuts costs by eliminating as many individual parts and steps as possible over the 500. The receiver isn't cut for the safety....that saves manufacturing costs. The Mav safety is a part of the trigger group which again saves parts and labor. I don't have a stripped trigger group handy to show the inside, but trust me, they are identical. The safety connector slot is still there on the Mav as you see. The forearm on the 500 is a steel slide action tube with wood....or the same slide tube with a synthetic forearm depending on the model. The Mav forearm deletes the steel slide tube and goes with a one piece pinned synthetic forearm. The EXACT same synthetic stocks are used on both....the Mossy 500 is drilled and sling swivels added. The Mav stock has the exact same location spots on the undrilled stock and no swivel. The Mossy receivers, all since about eight years back, have been drilled for a rail which is sometimes included depending on your model, The Mav is undrilled.

You can add a 500 trigger group to a Mav 88 and have a gun with zero safeties. You can add a Mav trigger group to a 500 and have a crossbolt safety. If you want, you can add the safety connector part to a Mav trigger group, install it on a 500 and have TWO functional safeties. You can use all 500 forearms on a Mav by adding the steel slide action tube. You can use a Mav forearm on a Mossy. All stocks are identical.

Guys, I've got a headache. I'm done with this thread. You guys take care.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I can tell, the 88 differs from a base level 500 in these ways:

• 88 only available with plastic stock
• 88 displays slightly lower finish/cruder "engravings"/cheaper stock than the 500
• 88 has the safety on the trigger guard
• 88 receiver is not drilled/tapped for scope mount
• 88 foream is attached directly to the operating rods, as opposed to riding on a separate carrier/slide assembly like the 500 (to put 500 forearms on an 88 you need the 500 slide assembly).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 am 
Field Grade

In terms of where both are assembled, for anyone who has both and purchased them in the last say 3-4 years or less, does one say "Made in America" where the other (the 88) does not? I've also heard the 88 is assembled with parts made in Mexico and notable youtube gun channels have said the same for what that is worth.

Last edited by Joe10 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe10 wrote:
In terms of where both are assembled, for anyone who has both and purchased them in the last say 3-4 years or less, does one say "Made in America" where the other (the 88) does not? I've also heard the 88 is assembled in Mexico and notable youtube gun channels have said the same for what that is worth.

I don't have a new Mossberg in my pawnshop but I do have two new Maverick 88 shotguns. Both are stamped "Eagle Pass, TX" on both the barrel and receiver. No references to Mexico on either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
Joe10 wrote:
In terms of where both are assembled, for anyone who has both and purchased them in the last say 3-4 years or less, does one say "Made in America" where the other (the 88) does not? I've also heard the 88 is assembled in Mexico and notable youtube gun channels have said the same for what that is worth.

I don't have a new Mossberg in my pawnshop but I do have two new Maverick 88 shotguns. Both are stamped "Eagle Pass, TX" on both the barrel and receiver. No references to Mexico on either.

Thanks Bladeswitcher. I've seen that myself. Do they have the "Mossberg Made in the USA" sticker on the stock like the one you see at the 1-minute mark of this 590A1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfFvWu8zsA

And sorry, meant to say "parts made in Mexico." (Didn't have my coffee yet lol.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe10 wrote:
Thanks Bladeswitcher. I've seen that myself. Do they have the "Mossberg Made in the USA" sticker on the stock like the one you see at the 1-minute mark of this 590A1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfFvWu8zsA

And sorry, meant to say "parts made in Mexico."

No.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Over time the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 have morphed into basically the same gun. The new-style one piece action slide tube/forend that started on the Maverick 88 was moved to the 500 to standardize parts and keep the cost of the cheapest 500 down below the cheapest 870.

As far as I see it, the biggest mechanical difference between them now is the trigger group and location of the safety. You can get wood stocks on the 500 but not the 88.
I really prefer to top tang safety location on the 500 for most uses with a standard stock but if I was going to put a pistol grip on the gun I would choose the Maverick 88, as the trigger guard safety location is naturally suited for a pistol grip stock. You cannot reach the top tang with a PG unless you take your hand off the grip or use your off hand.

Take your pick for the features you like, but if you like the Mossberg platform there is no good reason to overlook the Maverick 88.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:48 am 
Field Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Over time the Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 have morphed into basically the same gun. The new-style one piece action slide tube/forend that started on the Maverick 88 was moved to the 500 to standardize parts and keep the cost of the cheapest 500 down below the cheapest 870.

As far as I see it, the biggest mechanical difference between them now is the trigger group and location of the safety. You can get wood stocks on the 500 but not the 88.
I really prefer to top tang safety location on the 500 for most uses with a standard stock but if I was going to put a pistol grip on the gun I would choose the Maverick 88, as the trigger guard safety location is naturally suited for a pistol grip stock. You cannot reach the top tang with a PG unless you take your hand off the grip or use your off hand.

Take your pick for the features you like, but if you like the Mossberg platform there is no good reason to overlook the Maverick 88.

While I am partial to the 500 for the aforementioned reasons I very much agree with your last statement. Depending on the reason(s) one is buying a shotty, if money is tight (or even perhaps even it isn't), the 88 is still a fine choice. The 8-shot, 20" Mav (item# 31046) has to be the BEST deal in pump-action home defense shotgun.

Also, it's interesting to see Mossberg continue to give all the field models dual beads. Very rare at its price point. Don't know of anyone else who does that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, back to the original question, why is it called an 88 ? .