It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maverick 88 nomenclature question........
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:37 pm 
Field Grade

Why is it called the "88?" Did it debut in 1988? Just curious.

Post subject: Re: Maverick 88 nomenclature question........
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Think the "Mexican manufactured parts put together in The USA" 88 is a recent innovation. In '88 the 500 was being built in CT, not Eagle Pass, Mexas. Maverick 88 sounds cool, that's probably the origin of the 88. Nice little shotgun for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 pm 
Field Grade

Conn 500 wrote:
Think the "Mexican manufactured parts put together in The USA" 88 is a recent innovation. In '88 the 500 was being built in CT, not Eagle Pass, Mexas. Maverick 88 sounds cool, that's probably the origin of the 88. Nice little shotgun for the money.

Sorry, I don't follow. You're saying it's called the Maverick 88 because in 1988 the Mossy 500 was built in CT? I'm not seeing the connection. Or are you saying there really is no connection and Mossberg just came up with a name out of nowhere?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Not sure what he meant, either. But the serial number database that was being worked on had Mav's listed back to 88 and no further. I think you're right. The Mav 91, same?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 am 
Field Grade

drahcirl wrote:
Not sure what he meant, either. But the serial number database that was being worked on had Mav's listed back to 88 and no further. I think you're right. The Mav 91, same?

Mav '91? No comprende.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Mav 88 was a slightly less expensive 500....the 91 is a slightly less expensive 835. 3.5" chamber. Came out around 91.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:52 pm 
Crown Grade

The US made parts were shipped to TX where the Mexican barrels were assembled.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

drahcirl wrote:
The Mav 88 was a slightly less expensive 500....the 91 is a slightly less expensive 835. 3.5" chamber. Came out around 91.

I must confess prior to now I never heard of the 91. Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:52 am 
Field Grade

Joe10 wrote:
Conn 500 wrote:

Sorry, I don't follow. You're saying it's called the Maverick 88 because in 1988 the Mossy 500 was built in CT? I'm not seeing the connection. Or are you saying there really is no connection and Mossberg just came up with a name out of nowhere?

The Mexican 500 clone 88 came out with double slide rails in late 1990. The original 88 came out in an even more bare bone version with a single bar slide. It was not popular hence the 500 clone with a different trigger/safety in late 90 but essentially a 500 clone with dual slide rails.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Ummmm, ok. So the 88 came out in ummmm 88? And it's a Mossberg. It's not a clone of anything. No more so than an 870 Express is a "clone of a Wingmaster".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Not for anything but all the countless Mav 88 reviews which are out there which hint "this is Mossberg 500 for under $200" omit a key detail: the Mav 88s get a one-year warranty while the 500s get ten.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:50 pm 
Field Grade

drahcirl wrote:
Ummmm, ok. So the 88 came out in ummmm 88? And it's a Mossberg. It's not a clone of anything. No more so than an 870 Express is a "clone of a Wingmaster".

Oh, right............every part on the 88 interchanges with the 500 except the trigger so it can't be a clone of the 500. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

The trigger works on both, too. Not the point, though. The Mav 88 is made from the exact same receiver castings, the exact same parts, by the exact same people in the exact same factory by the exact same Mossberg. The Mav 88 is simply the lowest cost version of the 500, it is NOT a clone of the 500. Your argument is that diff level models of the same gun are somehow separate and distinct individuals....they aren't. They are simply diff models of the same gun. An 870 Express is NOT a clone of a Wingmaster for example. An 835 is NOT a clone of a 500 etc. I can write that in smaller words if you need me to. I see you have that eye problem after all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe10 wrote:
Not for anything but all the countless Mav 88 reviews which are out there which hint "this is Mossberg 500 for under $200" omit a key detail: the Mav 88s get a one-year warranty while the 500s get ten.
And anyone who has used enough Mossbergs hard enough and long enough will know that they will take care of any gun they ever made, as long as the parts are available. Ruger is another company that does the same.

The written warranty is a nice piece of paper. The real warranty comes into effect when you need it, and how nice you are when you talk to the customer service people.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
the exact same parts,

Incorrect. If it was, there would no need to build it in the first place. Barrels are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. IDK if a few other parts are now also made in Mexico.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

No it's not incorrect. Do you honestly think all the same guns made in the same factory by the same workers, there'd be some mystery Mossberg factory making specific parts that are identical to the others just for Mossberg marked guns? They're all made from the EXACT SAME PARTS by the same folks on the same machines. There is only one factory, you know. The only parts NOT made in

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cerberus wrote:
And anyone who has used enough Mossbergs hard enough and long enough will know that they will take care of any gun they ever made, as long as the parts are available. Ruger is another company that does the same.

The written warranty is a nice piece of paper. The real warranty comes into effect when you need it, and how nice you are when you talk to the customer service people.

Yep. And if it actually NEEDED warranty servicing after a year, someone screwed it up in some really bad way. There's not one more user friendly gun on the market anywhere. The only thing they really charge for is refinishing the barrel bluing if you forgot it in your trunk and it rusts. If you break it, they work with you in any way they can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

drahcirl wrote:
No it's not incorrect. Do you honestly think all the same guns made in the same factory by the same workers, there'd be some mystery Mossberg factory making specific parts that are identical to the others just for Mossberg marked guns? They're all made from the EXACT SAME PARTS by the same folks on the same machines. There is only one factory, you know. The only parts NOT made in

Try AGAIN:

Quote:
The Maverick line of shotguns are assembled in Eagle Pass, Texas, using some parts manufactured outside of the United States, mainly from Mexico, which contributes to their relatively lower price in comparison to the Mossberg 500 series of shotguns, which is entirely domestically manufactured and assembled at the O.F. Mossberg & Sons factory in Connecticut.

The trigger groups will not interchange between Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 models, but the majority of other parts, including barrels, stocks, and magazine tubes, will (the barrel and magazines must be the same length). Maverick 88s do not come equipped with any sling mounts, as the Mossberg 500 series do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Joe10 wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree. Yes, no-charge out-of-warranty work goes on all the time but that is at the company's discretion no matter how nicely one person addresses the other. If the service department's rep says "I'm sorry but the repair(s) will cost $50 and your one-warranty ended six months ago." the customer has nothing to say about it.

IMO paying $90 more for 10 times the warranty, the benefit of having Mossberg pick up shipping both ways for that time frame, wood furniture, and a set of choke tubes is worth it depending on how and how frequently the shotty will be used. (I used the 12G, 28" barrel versions of both for comparision.) Some might say the tang safety on the 500 is another attraction for them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 am 
Field Grade

drahcirl wrote:
The trigger works on both, too. Not the point, though. The Mav 88 is made from the exact same receiver castings, the exact same parts, by the exact same people in the exact same factory by the exact same Mossberg. The Mav 88 is simply the lowest cost version of the 500, it is NOT a clone of the 500. Your argument is that diff level models of the same gun are somehow separate and distinct individuals....they aren't. They are simply diff models of the same gun. An 870 Express is NOT a clone of a Wingmaster for example. An 835 is NOT a clone of a 500 etc. I can write that in smaller words if you need me to. I see you have that eye problem after all.

Where is this exact same receiver casting? Mexico? The 835 is not a clone of a 500? Did I say it was? You might have the vision problem. As you have a thinking disorder and not necessarily an eye disorder-I'll make it easier for you. One-the 88 trigger assembly does not work in the 500-not even close. The Mossberg factory in Connecticut is 40 minutes from where I live and I have a cousin who was laid off about 3 years ago from Mossberg. The EXACT same factory is virtually vacant and has been for the last couple of years. Mossberg has been contracting out interrupters, extractors, barrels, bolts, plastic/synthetic stocks for years now. These parts are not made in Connecticut or Eagle Pass, Texas, rather, various contractors have been making them cheaply for the last few years. The 590 is supposedly still made in America of mostly American parts. You'd be hard pressed to find two models more interchangeable than the 88 and the 500. Aside from the trigger assembly and a slightly different shell interrupter on the 88, essentially the same gun. The 88 using even more out-sourced parts thereby cheaper for the consumer.