It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Maverick 88
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:48 am 
Field Grade

My son just bought one a few days ago for $212 OTD. We shot it and it seems like a very nice gun.

He got the all purpose model with 28" barrel in 12 gauge.

Post subject: Re: New Maverick 88
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

priell3 wrote:
My son just bought one a few days ago for $212 OTD. We shot it and it seems like a very nice gun.

He got the all purpose model with 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Nice gun and a good price. You should get some great service from it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got my first Mav in 90....paid a whole $60 for it at the local pawn shop. Still have it and use it regularly. Only changes were adding a Mossy 500 slide action tube and a set of 500 wood. You'll get good service from yours, no doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have had an 88 for about 25 years, still shoots great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

I have a new security model, 12 gage, Maverick 88. Love it but am looking to change out the fore end grip, I have been looking and looking for some information on how to do it but keep coming up with different slide action tube sizes. Want to dress it with Magpul MOE Forend. Not sure if I need the 7 5/8 or 6 3/4 tube.
If any one has information on it I would greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

7 5/8". Be sure you get a dimpled one, not an older straight wall. If you do end up with a 6 1/2", there's an adapter nut available if you can find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the heads up, so to be clear, either size is fine as long as you get the right nut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's the problem, though. Finding that right tube is easy. Finding the nut might not be. I know it's out there, I haven't seen one on sale in a while, though and it's extra gold for not much reason. Just get the right tube ;)

Found one on Ebay....you see the cost. You could probably find it cheaper, just don't buy it at all if you don't have to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-500-Action-Slide-Tube-Forend-Adapter-Extended-Nut-12-Gauge-NEW-/191533511426?hash=item2c98497302:g:ecwAAOSwBLlU93G3

Pretty much all of the "tactical" forarms are for the 7 5/8" tube, though. It's still the standard. The shorter tube is mostly on the current wood forarm guns. Maybe ONLY on the sporting wood guns. Not sure anymore. Been a few years since I bought one new off the shelf. I know of at least three aftermarket parts that are adjustable, so to speak, though. ATI has one that's sort of AR type that has a cut off line where you cut it down to fit a 6 1/2", the TacStar Thompson type vert front grip has a cut off ring, the ATI "universal" has adapter thingies etc. By comparison, I can't really name a single aftermarket part that's solely for the shorter tube. Just go for the longer tube and you can't really go wrong. Most folks end up with two or more stock sets inside a year anyway. You will, too.

This is the Tacstar Thompson type. You see the cut off line I mean.

There's a couple of diff MagPul forearm installation vids on Youtube if you want to watch them. You can see the longer tube in both, I think.

But forearms, as they go, you can't really go wrong. It's going to work out for you, it just depends on how many extra days it takes is all. You'll get great experience in switching yours. Mossy's are really user friendly when it comes to mods. there's only two parts that I suggest you stay away from....#1 is the Blackhawk/Knoxx forearm and #2 is the Speedfeed "bird's head" grip. The Blackhawk forearm was badly molded with an actual curve to it like a banana....impossible to fit. The second gen supposedly fixed it. It didn't. Third gen, I haven't held in my hands so I don't know. The speedfeed grip, contrary to what the dealers would tell you, was for the Rem 870, not the Mossy. The Speedfeed packaging actually said Mossberg....the PART however, had Rem 870 molded into it. It overhung the Mossy in places and didn't fit flush in other places. Speedfeed refunded all sales on that one and dropped the part at that time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bought a 88 in 2003. Love it, Best squirrel shotgun i have.