It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SA-20 Owners
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 am 
Field Grade

Hey guys, haven't been around here for a while but I'd like to see if there are any mossberg SA-20 owners on here. I've been thinking about getting one with my tax return and I was wondering how the reliable the gun had been for you all. I'm trying to get into upland and I love a lightweight shotgun and I think this would be a neat little gun to have. How well does your SA-20 run on the cheap Walmart target loads? Like the federal 100rd boxes for instance. If this gun will chuck the cheap stuff than it's just what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: SA-20 Owners
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 am 
Field Grade

Hello there. I recently purchased a new SA-20 from Buds Gunshop in October of 2016. I purchased a few flats of Monarch light dove loads from Academy Sports for $49.90 per case with free shipping. These are #8 shot, 2 3/4" 7/8 oz loads @1300 fps. These work great out of my gun and are cheaper than the Federal or Winchester universal loads from WalMart. I recommend you try looking on slickguns.com for deals on where to buy ammo at great prices. My SA-20 is the model that has a walnut stock. I have really fallen in love with this gun. I have not been able to put a ton of rounds through it due to the cold weather here in the north east, but it has worked flawlessly so far. Good luck with your purchase. I would also recommend Buds Gunshop for your purchase. They have awesome prices!!

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

My wife has one , for at least 7 years maybe more. It has been shot at skeet and sporting clays regularly without issue at all. I would not be afraid of recommending one. However the Weatherby sa-08 is similar but has a heavy and light piston for different loads, I own one of those as well and like it lots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have two and they are fine guns. A friend has one too and he has no issues with it except for his very long arms.

One of mine is a Gen2 black synthetic SA-20 All Purposeof 2014 manufacture, the other is a 2015 Gen2 SA-20 Tactical with the non-railed fore-end nut.

No problems with either one of them, and the All Purpose will cycle loads as light as 3/4oz @ 1200 or so. I haven't tried the light loads in the Tactical yet but it works with everything else I feed it.

I managed to get both the 26" & 28" barrels, a compact youth stock and an extra pistol grip stock from Mossberg and now I can mix and match into a variety of configurations.

Choate makes magazine extensions for them too, if that matters to you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska My hometown, but I'll move later...
Kaianuanu,
I think I got your name right. I think I am the exception to the Sa-20 rule. I did break one. A part broke in the bolt assembly. It could be because the roll pin that runs through it in the back came lose. Either way it didn't matter too much. I have the lifetime guarantee through Davidson's. I just sent it back for another. That was a good thing. My first one was a gen. one. It was annoying having to press the bolt release every time to load a shell into the magazine. With the gen. two's you don't have to do that.
As far as the cheap shells my first one had to be broken in and then it shot everything. The second one shot everything from the get go. I believe that you'll be fine and like the gun a lot. I shot mine the other day and my should felt fine with no pain whatsoever. Have fun, Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just bought a SA-20 this past weekend and I am going to shoot it for the first time this Saturday. I have already cleaned off the factory oil and lightly re-oiled with CLP. To those that have them, was there any break in needed such as shooting a box or 2 of heavy loads? Or did it pretty much work from the start? I see that thouk had one of each. How about the rest of you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:43 am 
Diamond Grade

I shot 50 rounds through my new SA-20 yesterday. They were Federal game loads that were 7/8 ounce of shot and rated at 1210 fps. Not a single problem. Shot and cycled all 50 just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Since my last post, I shot 25 of my reloads through this gun with no issues. Seems to cycle well. Reloads were Remington hulls, 7/8 ounce shot, 15.5 grains of 20/28, Remington wad, and W209 primer. According to Alliant's website, this is a standard 1200 fps load.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:48 am 
Field Grade

Can anyone tell me if I need to worry about getting a Gen 1 gun if I buy it new from Buds or another online store? Really thinking about picking one up but not a Gen 1. Is there any way to know which generation it is before you buy? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 am 
Field Grade

Hello Curious. I posted above about my SA-20 that I purchased from Buds Gunshop in October of 2016. So far, it's been an excellent gun. I don't believe there have been any changes to the SA-20 since they came out. I would not be afraid to buy one from any quality on-line store. I myself of course, would use Buds again. They offer a lifetime warranty for a few bucks extra, that is really worth taking a look at. There prices and service were top notch.

Best of luck.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:12 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the reply Joe. If I get one it will be from Buds also. I have bought from them before and it worked out well. I didn't know about the life time warranty they offer, that good to know information. Have you had any problems with the gun? Any problems not loading? Ejecting light loads? Or any other problems with it? I am thinking I will get either the Mossberg SA-20 or the Weatherby SA-08 so I sent Chairman (above) a PM because I would like to hear his thoughts since it looks like he owns both guns.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 am 
Field Grade

Jamie, I started out using a bunch of Monarch High Velocity Dove loads 2 3/4" 7/8 oz. 1300FPS that I ordered from Academy on-line. After a few boxes of those, I have been using the WalMart Federal Field and Target loads 2 3/4" 7/8 oz 1200FPS. I have had no fail to fire or eject with either type of ammo. I thought it best to use the heavier load first, to break the gun in and then try a lighter load. It now seems to work fine with both. I love the fact that the gun is such a soft shooter, with very little recoil. I did get the SA-20 with the walnut stock, and although the wood is not real fancy, it looks very nice.

Good luck,
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Joe. There are a couple of outdoor stores in town so I will take your advice and see if I can find some 1300 FPS ammo to use before I go down to the cheaper Walmart stuff. If they don't carry any than I will look on-line at Academy and see if they can ship it to me. While I am looking at the all black gun I'm sure they shoot the same so I appreciate your input on the gun.

Jamie