ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Picked up a New SA-20
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:35 pm 
Field Grade

Just picked up a new SA-20 with black synthetic stock with 28" V-rib barrel last night. Disassembled and cleaned thoroughly with Eezox with a good wipe-down to leave no excess.

Took it to the indoor range today and put 30 slugs through it and it performed flawlessly, as I had hoped.

So, this is my first gas gun. I have to admit I was stunned by the amount of the carbon deposited by the gas system. I cleaned it again, obviously, because I'm an "over-cleaner", but I'm now thinking there's no way to "over-clean" a gas gun.

Just after those 30 rounds, I noticed a very hard to clean 'ring' left on the mag tube by the o-ring. How clean do I need to get that area? The two little spots on the tube where the ports empty were also tough to get off. I ended up carefully using some 0000 steel wool to clean it up. I must say, after just those 30 rounds and the re-clean, the action has smoothed very noticeably

With regard to that o-ring, I was careful not to get the Eezox on it, as rubber and Eezox is not a great combination. Should that o-ring be lubed with something else to promote good sealing? What do others do there?

One other question - the tiny brass bead is not going to cut it for my eyes. Any recommendations for a replacement? I'm considering something in the Hi-Viz family. Anyone put one of those on an SA-20?

Post subject: Re: Just Picked up a New SA-20
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have you tried Froglube? I was initially turned on to it by some corrosion inhibition tests posted a few years ago on this site. I repeated those tests with one of my kids for a science fair project with good results: Froglube-treated steel was phenomenal at preventing rust, and my kid got a purple ribbon at the fair.

I generally don’t use Froglube on long arms because it’s a bit of a pain to apply. However I swear by it for my pistols and revolvers because (A) it seems to make them function slicker than snot, and (B) they don’t seem prone to carbon buildup. Even the front of revolver cylinders wipe off nicely after a lot of shooting.

May be something to consider for a gas gun. Also, Froglube is just coconut oil with some color and scent added, so it may be nicer to your O ring than traditional solvents and CLPs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:42 am 
Field Grade

I have never tried Froglube before, but I am in the camp that thinks a dry lube is better for SA shotguns.

So far, so good with the Eezox as far as functionality goes with both this SA-20 and my Franchi Affinity 3.0 12g.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

Those two marks left by the gas ports emptying there are not a real issue unless they were allowed to get built up a great deal! On my Tristar that is similar to your SA-20 I just use old Shooters Choice CLP. In my owner's manual the manufacturer recommends a couple of drops of a CLP in the gas piston area and a light coating on the O ring that is captured in the front groove of the gas cylinder.

Using this technique, the clean up is quite easy and just requires a rub down with a cloth with some more CLP impregnated. It takes much longer to describe than to to do. My gun seems to run better a bit on the "wet" side so that maybe something to consider. IMO, I don't think you need any exotic concoctions of heated frog, lizard, or baby python lube to get 100% reliability. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:36 am 
Field Grade

I went ahead and ordered the Hiviz sight. Looks like an easy swap with a little heat applied to the brass bead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

Hiviz sight arrived yesterday and I installed it - big improvement over the tiny brass bead.

Went and shot 50 rounds of 2-3/4" 1oz 1200fps Aguila #8 shells at sporting clays today, and had zero FTE's but did have 5 instances where on the second shot the front end of the shell hung up on the edge of the chamber and wouldn't go in. In each instance, it seamed that the front of the shell had ended up canted toward the ejection port slightly and got stuck before going in. Pulling the operator re-set the shell and chambered with just a bit of fussing in one instance. Any ideas what may cause that? I suspect perhaps the elevator may be a bit misaligned or something. Would rather not have a 20% failure rate on second shot chambering, if I can help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I would keep shooting it and see if the problem persists before you decide it is an issue. Try different shells next time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:50 pm 
Field Grade

Have to say I like that ammo from a barrel cleanliness standpoint. It barely left anything behind. I will try some Federal 7/8 oz next time out and keep my fingers crossed that I don’t start getting FTE’s instead. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

Just a quick update - took the SA-20 to the indoor range yesterday and put twenty 5/8 oz rifled slugs through it. Had one round fail to chamber (front of shell hung up on edge of chamber). Rounds were Remington Sluggers. This one looked kind of scary as the extractor hook was jabbed right into the primer. I pulled the bolt back and let it chamber and fired it. Wonder if there's any chance that a shell could fire due to such an impact from the extractor? Any body ever seen that happen?

Also of note, it was hot and humid AF in the range, and on the last 3 or 4 rounds i was noticing a pretty good fireball popping out of the ejection port when firing. Quite a show - makes ya feel glad to be wearing eye protection.

Going to shoot some sporting clays on Saturday and going to bring some Federal 7/8 oz shells to go along with the Aguila 1 oz. It has never had an FTE, so I'm going to play around and maybe chamber the 1oz and load the 7/8 in the tube so I can consume some of those while reducing the risk of a FTE. If the 7/8 oz rounds eject well, I'll see how it does using those in tandem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:31 pm 
Field Grade

Quick update - did a round of 50 clays this morning with the SA-20, this time chambering the 1 oz Aguilas and putting the 7/8 oz Federals in the tube. Still no FTE's, but did have 2 chambering jams. I did once accidentally load a 7/8 first, and that one somehow left the bolt back with the shell from the tube sitting on the elevator at the bottom of the receiver. Weird.

Hoping continued shooting will smooth things out some more, but at this point certainly thinking that at least 1 oz loads are a good idea for this gun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

It should not require 1 oz. If you continue to have issues, it may be time to send it back to Mossberg. Hopefully, the issue resolves itself or is repeatable so they can fix it. Thanks for the updates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am 
Field Grade

Dead thread now - moving on to a Montefeltro 20g. Not an entirely rational move - I assume I could have gotten it straightened out eventually.

Still love my 590 12g 8+1 with ghost ring and heat shield, though. No hate for Mossberg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:40 am 
Utility Grade

Schocker65 wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the Hiviz sight. Looks like an easy swap with a little heat applied to the brass bead.

I just picked up a SA-20 yesterday and want to replace the front bead. Which HIVIZ model did you get? Do you know what the thread size is for our bead?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

biblethumpncop wrote:
Schocker65 wrote:

I just picked up a SA-20 yesterday and want to replace the front bead. Which HIVIZ model did you get? Do you know what the thread size is for our bead?

Thanks in advance!

I got the CompSight part#PM1002. I can't say what size the thread was, but the kit included a screw that fit the hole. It was a major upgrade from a visibility standpoint for my old eyes.