It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mossberg in a Nutshell
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Is there any more to know about the Maverick 88 vs. the Mossberg 500?

As I understand it, if the furniture on both is synthetic and the finish is blue, then aside from the difference in safety location & design, the 88 is literally an identical clone of the 500 (except for markings)? Same receiver, same bolt, all the same internal parts in the receiver, mag tubes, same assembly line/factory, etc.?

I'm wondering... if one preferred the safety placement on the 88, would buying an 88 give you the same quality and functional performance of the 500?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

My first shotgun was a 1992 Mossberg 500. Sold it when I went through a phase when I "absolutely" needed a side by side shotgun. Regretted it soon after.

A while later, I sold the SxS to fund another Mossy. Found a beautiful Mossy 500 in a Baltimore pawn shop for the right price and fell in love with it. Discovered after e-mailing Mossberg that is was manufactured in 1971. For a 39 year old gun, she still looks brand new!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:00 am 
Presentation Grade

I have gone full circle, got my first Mossberg in th 60's, went through a BrowningA-5, BPS, Winchester Model 50 and Super-X, Remington 1100, 11-87 and 870, High sStandard Auto, Ithaca 37, 51 and SKB 900, Benelli Montefeltro and now back to Mossberg. Have two now, a 1967 500 in 20 guage and a 500 in 12 gauge. I still had the smooth bore slug barrel from my first 500 so thats what I use for deer. Most guys who look down on our Mossy's probably never owned one!

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Love the Mossbergs. Bought my first 500 for $200 from a pawnshop when I was 18. It took some cleaning up , but it's been my go-to gun ever since. I even use it for trap and skeet sometimes. It makes doubles a little more challenging for sure, but I figure if I can hit them with a pump, an auto or OU would be just that much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

First gun I ever shot was a bolt action 410 mossberg, that was 42 years ago.It has taken many rabbits over the years, and when my oldest grandson gets a little older(7yrs old) it will be handed over to him. Got a 500 in my collection and am getting a 935 this weekend. Hopefully the 935 performs as well as the other 2! Read alot of not so kind reviews on the 935 but hoping for the best! Happy holidays to all! Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:43 am 
Tournament Grade

DHart wrote:
Is there any more to know about the Maverick 88 vs. the Mossberg 500?

As I understand it, if the furniture on both is synthetic and the finish is blue, then aside from the difference in safety location & design, the 88 is literally an identical clone of the 500 (except for markings)? Same receiver, same bolt, all the same internal parts in the receiver, mag tubes, same assembly line/factory, etc.?

I'm wondering... if one preferred the safety placement on the 88, would buying an 88 give you the same quality and functional performance of the 500?

Yes. Dhart, you and I are both Winchester 1300 lovers. The Maverick 88 has the same exact "controls" placement as the M1300. (forward safety, rear/left slide release). However, the M88 safety is tucked up higher than the M1300. The M88 has a small button cross bolt safety, where as the M1300 has a large button cross bolt safety (mid mounted/front trigger guard). However, the M88 has the desired "up" shell lifter, and otherwise (except the "integrated forearm") a model 500.
People will tell you, "oh, the Maverick is made in Mexico!". Bs. The Maverick is made in the same plant as the 500. They BOTH use non-USA made parts (Barrel metal is exported to mexico, formed into barrels, then imported back into US). Yes, Mossberg is NOT a true a "made in the usa" as they claim...but rather "assembled in the USA. None the less... it is a phenominal shotgun which is MOSTLY American made, for a great price, and functions great!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

My first post to this forum was bragging about my mossberg 535 ATS when I took some buddies to the range and tried out 3 1/2" Winchester 00Buck Magnum loads, we are all Army and used to firing just the M9 and M16A2/M4 basic weapon systems, so it was comical to see all these grown men almost getting knocked back on their a$$!

I was amazed to see those magnum rounds hit the back of the burm at the 100 yard range, I estimated the burm behind the targets to be about 125 yards and you could see with each round that some of those pellets hit center mass, so they did not drop much in flight and travelled pretty damn far! Even the 2 3/4" 8 shot shells were hitting the 100 yard target (you could see the paper targets flutter so I don't think it penetrated as much as just dusted the paper with lead) I think this is due to the fact that my 535 has that enormous 24" smooth bore barrel, it holds that shot together in a nice tight wad for a great deal of its flight to target because target shooting 25meters with just 2 3/4" 8 shot showed just a 2" diameter hole in the paper, not muh pellet spread, and that is with improved cylinder choke, I'm sure if I used modified or full then I could have put almost all the pellets of that 00Buck into the burm. Why I would need to do that when I don't hunt, I don't know, I'm a guy, we just do stuff sometimes...

Almost all parts from 500 will fit the 535 with the exception of the barrel. I have some aftermarket parts on my 535 from the 500, since they share everything else. Mossberg currently only offers 22 and 24” barrels for the 535, smooth or rifled.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:14 am 
Limited Edition

Hello to all my Shotgun Enthusiasts,
I am considering adding a Mossberg Mod. 930 Field Model with a 26 inch barrel to my collection. Anyone have any opinions on it. I have heard the porting of the barrel with a 26 inch barrel might cause some problems with certain loads. I dont know how true this is, so Im looking for any input anyone might have. I have owned a Mod. 500 for over 25 years and bought the combo pkg. 18 inch. for home protection and a 30 inch barrel to hunt with. I figured for the price I was getting 2 guns for the price of one. It has withstood harsh conditions while duck and goose hunting and the shotgun still works like a champ. I do however take care of my shotguns and keep them oiled and cleaned. I am looking for a shotgun in that price range and though I dont hunt that much anymore I am starting to get the bug again. I want to use it for skeet and trap as well. Anyone who has information on the 930 model I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again for any input you can give me. The research so far has been positive. I want to hear it from someone who owns one or has shot one. Thanks.
Pasquale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Got a 500 in 20 gauge and 935 in 12. sometimes shoot 3.5" just depends what kind of deal i get on ammo. they'll definitely light you up especially if you aint ready for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

got a 590 in 12g.;bought it last year,is my first shotgun i have ever had.I always wanted one Mossberg and finally i got one....

Θουκυδίδης

Post subject: Mossberg in a Nutshell
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Image I love my m500 20 gauge ;) killed 24 pheasants 1 turkey close to 1000 skeet ;)

Luke95

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 am 
Field Grade

I bought a Mossberg 500A in 1964 for $59. It was a relatively new model back then... only about three years since its introduction, and I might have been taking a bit of a risk, but it worked out fine. It's a good shotgun.

Mine is one of the older models with the single slide bar. I think the wood on the older models is nicer than the recent ones.

I worked the action so many times after I bought it that it became very slick. In fact, when it was in cocked position, and if I pointed the muzzle to the sky and pushed the pump release control the fore end would slide more than half way to the end of its travel just by gravity alone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

I needed to sell a couple of 12 gauges to make more room in my gun safe. So I got rid of a Winchester and a Remington 870. My Mossberg 12 ga. is still in the safe with my Mossberg 410.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Right when I graduated high school I bought a 935 Magnum right off the shelf. If you don't shoot much, I guess the 3.5 in. shells can pack a punch.. but c'mon.. it's awesome. Love the 3.5's . The 935 is an autoloader.. Blast all the 3.5's out of that as fast as you can and you will know your shootin something!!

Kick isn't as bad as say.. my Rem. 300 short mag bolt action rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Been back and forth between Remington, Mossberg a few cheap imported guns and tried a couple browning guns last year..... I started out with a remington 11-87 20ga and then added a 870 supermag later on back in 2001..... I was a die hard remington fan but my mom and dad both had a couple mossbergs that I used once in a while for something different and I just liked the look and function .... the remingtons seemed to feel like a little better built gun to me at the time again based on feel in the hands alone....the mossbergs always functioned flawlessly where as my supermag loved to jam and lock up solid with 3 1/2" shells to the point where I could see how it was not properly designed for 3 1/2" shells as apposed to the 835 that I had also shot one of my friends and liked it a lot. Anyways I tried out some bigger money on a browning gold and acouple bps guns and they are really nice guns, look pretty but not worth the extra money imo. I did not like the bottom ejection/loading on the bps and how much harder they are to break down for cleaning and the gold is nothing special had a lot of jams with it and was just overpriced for an autoloader at the time..... after that mistake I told my self I would never spend over $1000 on a gun again :) I sold them all and wont be buying anymore Brownings. I recently picked up a new 500 flex marine coat and set it up for skeet.....really like the gun Mossberg just works good for me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm 
Field Grade

I've had a number of 500-based pumps by Mossberg, including several of the old catalog-house guns. When they finally get tired they are easy to rebuild. They are awfully hard to beat for a hard-use shotgun.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-rev ... -12-gauge/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Nice old Mossberg ya got there Sarge.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

SargeMO wrote:
I've had a number of 500-based pumps by Mossberg, including several of the old catalog-house guns. When they finally get tired they are easy to rebuild. They are awfully hard to beat for a hard-use shotgun.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-rev ... -12-gauge/

That is a very interesting looking forearm with those notches in it. Maybe it's just the sun but it looks quite a bit lighter than the stock also. Is that original?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 am 
Field Grade

duckqwacker wrote:

That is a very interesting looking forearm with those notches in it. Maybe it's just the sun but it looks quite a bit lighter than the stock also. Is that original?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Most of the 310's I've seen online have the slant notches, although a few display pressed checkering. I really don't know if the forend is original to that particular shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since Mossberg stopped importing the original Silver Reserve and started importing SR IIs, they took a big step in bringing a decent entry level O/U to the market. The original SR was not anything to brag about. It was cheaply made, easy to malfunction, and break firing pins. Not so the SR II. Mine has been heavily used and hasn't given the first problem. it is not a competition gun, but for a person getting into clays and for the hunters, the SR II will make Mossberg proud.

The SR II is a totally different gun. Now Mossberg has a beginners O/U to be proud of. It is stout and is a nice looking gun. Khan, the manufacturer got it right this time, IMO.

One of the gun reps told me that Mossberg had a "come to Jesus" prayer meeting with Khan. Either make a quality gun or we cancel the contract. Methinks they listened.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel