Shotgun Forum banner

How difficult is it to replace the vent rib on a model 37?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ithacanut 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 1970 M37 in a local shop. The vent rib is bent upward badly in between two posts. Can this rib be replaced eaisly or would you need a complete new barrel? Thanks

#2 ·
It may be able to be repaired rather than replaced. If replacement is required, it will need to be done by a competent gunsmith. Further, that replacement will almost certain require a reblue of the barrel. Unless you use some jake-leg smith, the cost to replace the rib is likely to be more than you're going to pay for the gun. Thus, if I couldn't repair the rib in place, I'd pass on the gun.

Here's an example of what it could cost to re-rib that gun.

http://www.simmonsguns.com/Pricing.html

#3 ·
If you can't beat it back into shape a 1970 M37 barrel should be sawed down to 18.5 inches as a people shooter, and a spare round barrel purchased for about $50.

Pristine VR fixed choke 855,000+ numbered barrels (since about 1966 production) often sell for $100-$150 tops. Ithaca sells brand new choke tubed barrels for $250.

A 37 with a buggered VR should be worth about $150,,,or less.;)

#4 ·
I don't know about the 1970 model, but on the 1975 model I have the rib is mounted to integral studs on the barrel. The studs are machined out of barrel material during manufacture. The rib slide onto the mounting studs and is pinned in place by the chamber end.

If the studs are not dammaged then replacing the rib should be very easy, just send to Ithaca for replacement.

#6 ·
jaguarxk120 said:
I don't know about the 1970 model, but on the 1975 model I have the rib is mounted to integral studs on the barrel. The studs are machined out of barrel material during manufacture. The rib slide onto the mounting studs and is pinned in place by the chamber end.

If the studs are not dammaged then replacing the rib should be very easy, just send to Ithaca for replacement.
I would never have guessed that a moderately priced gun like an Ithaca 37 would be made this way. If the studs are truly integral to the barrel that's an expensive manufacturing process. Now, I could see pressing studs into the barrel as a lower cost alternative.

#7 ·
I took a look at the stud on my barrel, they apper to be welded on to the barrel surface. The barrel is marked "Roto-Forged.". With that process it's hard to make the studs and barrel at the same time.
I would say they were added after the barrel was formed. By the way Roto Forging/ hammer forging makes for a very smooth barrel.

At any rate the top rib can be replaced by the factory, have no idea what the charges would be.

With a bent rib the shop should be giving a price brake on the gun. I don't think they want to go through the trouble sending it out and having it repaired they wouldn't recover their moneys for repairs.

#9 ·
THE RIB IS PINNED AT THE BREECH END. Drive out the pin and the rib should slide off, Getting another rib will be the problem. The rib studs are welded to the barrel and the tops dovetail cur so the rib can slid on. I don't know if the current will fit but a call to the service dept. will answer that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.