ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ohio 37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thinking of a new Ithaca field gun, so asking the people that have them: Besides gaining 3” mag capability, what’s different in the Ohio Guns vs. my ‘75 M37? Still on the fence as far as 12ga vs. 20 ga.

Post subject: Re: Ohio 37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Biggest thing is the weight. I bought mine as a goose gun so that's no big deal. I do like the prewar style forearm very much. Some don't like the stock but I have no problems with it aesthetics aside. I would buy another.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am 
Diamond Grade

Ohio guns are well built. All parts are machined from billet, as the owner of the company was not happy with the quality of Metal Injection Molding. The vent rib is an unique design that has no soldering involved. As mentioned it is 3" but also includes choke tubes. Also included is a good quality recoil pad. Yes they do weigh more, depending how much you shoot vs carry the gun will effect your opinion on that subject. To date we have 3 Ohio built guns and are thus far happy with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:19 am 
Diamond Grade

My 20 from ‘49 is almost too light. Maybe a new 20 that is a bit heavier would be the way to go. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

I really don’t care for the new forearms. I have been tempted to get a new 37 for some time, just can’t get past the forearms. Can a person specify a forearm type ? At these prices and a small company I would think you could.

My preference would be the one on my 37:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I emailed Ithaca on Friday but their website says they are still under stay at home orders. I’ll be surprised if I get a response anytime soon.

The local Scheels is listed as a dealer but they don’t stock Ithacas, unfortunately because I’d like to horse trade a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have two Ohio Ithacas and one from the late 40s. The Waterfowler and the Hog Slayer are my newer ones.

I really like them and see no issue in the weight. I would also say that the Ohio Ithaca is a lot smoother pump than my older one. My only concern is the stock length is too short for me. I have a slip on recoil pad which solved my LOP concerns.

My vote is get one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’m all set to make it happen. Their website says they are holding orders in queue. I’d like to have a better feel for shipping time before I plug in my card number. No answer today when I called, so I’ll just bide my time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

EricB wrote:
I’m all set to make it happen. Their website says they are holding orders in queue. I’d like to have a better feel for shipping time before I plug in my card number. No answer today when I called, so I’ll just bide my time.

So are you getting the 20ga? I purchased a new 12ga a couple years ago and its been a great gun. Now I want a 20 and another new Ithaca is an easy choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 am 
Diamond Grade

It’ll be a 12. Probably with a 26” barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are recoil sensitive or have any desire to shoot 3" shells, the Ohio 37 is the way to go. Good luck on your quest for one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

EricB wrote:

Hello, I just placed my order on Wednesday 7/15/2020 for a New Ithaca Model 37, I went with the 20 Gauge/ 26" barrel. This will primarily be used for Rabbit hunting, a little squirrel, and occasional backyard clay shooting just for practice tune up.

The gentleman I spoke with said they are just starting to get the factory back up and running but its not completely back up yet.

For Example I wanted the AAA grade Walnut, he said they didn't have that in stock right now and that the folks in the "wood shop" werent back as of yet, so I settled for the AA grade.

I've never owned, shot or even handled an Ithaca in person, EVER. Buying sight unseen is a little unnerving. But hopefully I will like the gun, I plan to order a Matching 12 Gauge maybe by Christmas if I got the extra money.

I hope to pick it up at my LGS next week. Very excited, I own Benelli, Brownings, and other brands, but I don't think ive ever been more excited to get a new shotgun than this one. I hope its everything I expect it to be.

The gentleman I spoke with is named Jeremiah.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Let us know your impression when you get it. I would be interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got through yesterday and spoke with a lady that took down my specs and contact info. Someone is supposed to call me with availability.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

spinningreel wrote:
EricB wrote:

Hello, I just placed my order on Wednesday 7/15/2020 for a New Ithaca Model 37, I went with the 20 Gauge/ 26" barrel. This will primarily be used for Rabbit hunting, a little squirrel, and occasional backyard clay shooting just for practice tune up.

The gentleman I spoke with said they are just starting to get the factory back up and running but its not completely back up yet.

For Example I wanted the AAA grade Walnut, he said they didn't have that in stock right now and that the folks in the "wood shop" werent back as of yet, so I settled for the AA grade.

I've never owned, shot or even handled an Ithaca in person, EVER. Buying sight unseen is a little unnerving. But hopefully I will like the gun, I plan to order a Matching 12 Gauge maybe by Christmas if I got the extra money.

I hope to pick it up at my LGS next week. Very excited, I own Benelli, Brownings, and other brands, but I don't think ive ever been more excited to get a new shotgun than this one. I hope its everything I expect it to be.

The gentleman I spoke with is named Jeremiah.

See, I’m kind of still wavering regarding the 20. It’ll do everything I need a shotgun to do really. I like your plan to get both.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I only live about a hour away.Went to the factory and picked mine up. Not any cheaper but a lot of fun. Nice folks there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:51 am 
Utility Grade

ohio mike wrote:
I only live about a hour away.Went to the factory and picked mine up. Not any cheaper but a lot of fun. Nice folks there.

I was wondering if that was possible. I’m a little over 5 hours away, but I’d almost do it just to get the factory tour, I’d probably bring home at least one shotgun & a 1911 if I was there to see and handle them in person. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 am 
Diamond Grade

They used to give factory tours fairly regular however it’s my understanding that they no longer do that. I do believe you still can pick up a gun straight from them though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Seems Jeremiah comes in at 4:00. He’s the one that can check inventory (the website says “out of stock” on the one I finally decided on ((20 gauge)). They close at 5:00. I’ll keep trying. Would prefer to speak with someone so that I can get an idea on lead time. So far email and messages are going unreturned. Not whining, just sharing info. Don’t throw shade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:12 am 
Utility Grade

I completely understand your frustration.

I’ve emailed & phoned trying to get a Tracking number on my gun being shipped so I’ll know when it arrives at the gun shop. So far no luck either way.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the spike in Covid recently has caused them to once again reduce staffing.