ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ohio 37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I wanted to be sure to get one before the guns are no longer available. I’m not saying anything about Ithaca specifically but who knows how long before something changes and what you want will be no more.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 am 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer wrote:
And you said this is “A” grade wood is that right ? Very nice, I don’t think a new Wingmaster has that nice of wood.

This is pushing me closer to getting one myself.

Yes it’s “A” grade wood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:59 am 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer wrote:
you said this is “A” grade wood is that right ? Very nice, I don’t think a new Wingmaster has that nice of wood. This is pushing me closer to getting one myself.

I purchased a new Wingmaster a few months after I bought my new Ithaca a few years ago. Remington ended up buying back the gun because of numerous problems. The Ithaca was a far superior shotgun in terms of build quality, bluing, wood, ect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

The gun doesn’t make me a better shot but it doesn’t hurt my shooting either. It doesn’t like Herter’s shells (I had some stashed away). I didn’t need to dig the empties out, just had to cycle it a time or two or three to dislodge the hull on occasion. Pheasant loads will be the next test. At least it hits where I point. I’m glad I bought it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot a round of 5-stand with my ‘69 M37 today and it perfectly and easily extracted and ejected all the Winchester AA shells I fired. Not so when I switched to Winchester Super Target, which seemed to stick in the chamber requiring considerably more effort to eject. l’m guessing that Ithacas are chambered to minimum specs and that the steel head Super Targets expand more than the brass head AAs, making extraction more difficult. Is this correct? Should I hone the chamber?

Sorry for the thread drift, but it’s related to Eric’s last post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
I shot a round of 5-stand with my ‘69 M37 today and it perfectly and easily extracted and ejected all the Winchester AA shells I fired. Not so when I switched to Winchester Super Target, which seemed to stick in the chamber requiring considerably more effort to eject. l’m guessing that Ithacas are chambered to minimum specs and that the steel head Super Targets expand more than the brass head AAs, making extraction more difficult. Is this correct? Should I hone the chamber?

Sorry for the thread drift, but it’s related to Eric’s last post.

Yes and yes. I sent mine in to have reamed out, honing wasn’t enough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer, did you send it to Ithaca or someone else? I’m trying mine with game loads before I make any changes. For me it isn’t a target gun so I don’t care much about trap shells sticking. If all shells stick, well that’s different. Hopefully next weekend will present an opportunity to test more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Eric give Ithaca a call if your concerned. Be aware that a lot of guns both pump and autos don't like Promo ammo be it from Walmart or Cabelas.On the other hand Remington Gun Clubs,Federal Top Gun or Clay and Fields work fine. As do AA,STS,and Gold Metal Grand. I'd stick with Remington or Federal for my field needs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
McFarmer, did you send it to Ithaca or someone else? I’m trying mine with game loads before I make any changes. For me it isn’t a target gun so I don’t care much about trap shells sticking. If all shells stick, well that’s different. Hopefully next weekend will present an opportunity to test more.

Diamond Gunsmithing. Fast turn around, but this was just before the virus thing. Didn’t cost much, well, it was reasonable. I think they put a new extractor in also.

I would think a new one would be better able to handle the cheaper shells.