ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Century trap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

I’m looking at a SKB/Ithaca Century trap shotgun.

My question is would this gun have any cast for a right hand shooter ? Or anything else that might not be suitable for a left handed shooter ?

Anything specific to this shotgun I should look at ? What is it’s reputation ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Century trap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Both of the SKB manufactured guns that I own have neutral cast with no palm swells that would make the gun unsuitable for a lefty.

I don't believe that SKB ever offered a model with anything other than a neutral stock.

No experience with that model, but the SKB guns are rock solid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

+1, The Century is a solid Trap gun and at a very favorable price. No cast.
Buy it and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the replies. Is there much difference between the first and second version ? The one I’m looking at is the first. Round finger hole in the forearm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I have long forgotten the differences between the two but have never heard of a finger hole in the fore arm. Sometime I can't recall what I had for dinner last night. Getting old is not for sissys!
Best, Walt :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 am 
Diamond Grade

I had one but I sold it. Couldn’t hit a damn thing with it. They are flat shooters as trap guns go. Neutral cast. Century II has the oval forend hardware with one screw. Century I was known for “soft” parts. Firing pins were known to break. I believe the I was more prone to forend cracking. I sold mine to a buddy at trap club who is taller and has a longer neck then I do and he shoots the lights out with it.
I would advise that if it’s a low round gun in good shape and is around $750 then you can’t go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:34 am 
Limited Edition

I have owned two of these guns many years ago but when I went to release triggers they were sold. The Century II model had some mods to the forearm attach points but it also came with a Monte Carlo stock. I think the earlier Century models were available only with a straight trap comb. I felt that the barrels on those guns were for a 27 yard shooter. They destroyed targets but were very demanding of the shooter. At 16 yards it was like a rifle. Probobly one of the most beautiful SBT guns to come out of Japan in the late 60's, early 70's though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks everyone, I just need to decide if I can justify a one trick pony.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am 
Crown Grade

McFarmer,

Somewhere in my collection of catalogues and manuals, I have mid-70's Ithaca Parts & Service Catalogue. It has a page or two about the Ithaca/SKB Century SBT. IIRC, those pages mention something about the Century II having an improved firing mechanism which could be retrofitted to the earlier Century model. Based on that old memory, I would look for a Century II.

Its been decades since I last handled an Ithaca/SKB Century but, as I recall it had a neutral cast like the factory stock on my 700 Trap (which I restocked to my dimensions with cast off). As Ithacaskbfan mentioned, the Century models are flat shooters printing more of a 50/50 pattern. The guns are well built with a lockup, IMO, superior to that of the BT-99. Unfortunately, due to poor marketing by cash strapped Ithaca, they never received the recognition they deserved.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

This is the listing I am interested in:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877976912

The fellow who has it listed has been very helpful answering some questions I had. It is a late first model, he has had it since the 1980s (hasn’t shot it much) and bought it from the first owner. It hasn’t had any work done on it to his knowledge.

You can see the forearm crack but it appears to be in excellent condition. They are beautiful shotguns.

As to the low patterns, this has the Monte Carlo stock, I see a straight comb was available, would this gun maybe shoot higher?

I may call Diamond Gunsmithing and see what an update on the firing pin would cost me. Maybe open the choke while he has it ?

Anyway, it’s late in the season, I may use the winter months to look for something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Looks like a nice gun in nice shape. Nice price too.

With any trap gun, you're going to have to if it "fits" you. Does the seller offer a inspection period or returns? If it doesn't fit then it's really not worth messing with it as nothing on these guns are adjustable.

If it "fits" you then make sure you pattern it and see where it shoots. Be careful with opening up a choke on a trap gun.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mine had a monte carlo stock.... patterned 50/50. The gun in the listing is nice. The wood is better than average for SKB. Plus there are bidders so it will probably go for close to the buy now price. I would suggest holding out for the second version. There seem to be a lot of them out there. There is a Century II listed now on Gunbroker.
FYI, use Nev’r Dull on the coin finish if you buy one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks everyone for the input.

I may see how this one goes and wait for another, or not.

If anyone sees this and is at all interested don’t hold back bidding or paying the buy it now price. I know how these things work and the fella deserves to get what the market will bear. Won’t bother me in the least. Anyone has one sitting around send me a message if you want.

There’s anyone one listed but the guy hasn’t returned an email question so I’m not interested. It has some funky spacers I asked about. No reply.

They are very attractive shotguns, I really like the forearm.