ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel length preference
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

Frequent lurker, seldom post, but have a question for the Ithaca 37 crowd. With the demise of quail hunting, my wingshooting has become more oriented towards doves and ducks. With that, I have moved from a 24" barrel on my 12 gauge model 37 to a 28" (fixed modified choke). My question is, has anyone here shot both the 28'' and the 30" barrel on their 37's? If so, which do you prefer for the type of hunting I am talking about? I'm thinking about trying a 30 incher, but am wondering if it might be too much of a good thing; i.e., too muzzle heavy. I would have the choke opened up, so that's not part of the equation. Also, this would be used primarily on a 2-3/4 action gun. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Barrel length preference
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’ve used 26, 28 & 30” barrels on 37s in 12 gauge. The 30” might swing better than the shorter barrels but not much. Definitely not muzzle heavy though. The new 37s from Ohio might be a different story because the barrels seem a bit heavier but on 2-3/4” barrels you shouldn’t have any trouble with forward weight. YMMV of course; shotgunning is highly subjective.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:42 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for sharing your impressions, and I understand about the subjectivity of those impressions. And you are correct, the Ohio barrels are noticeably heavier. That, plus the longer receiver required for 3" shells and overall you have a much less lively gun in my opinion. I will try the 30" barrel if I can find one for sale at a reasonable price or in a trade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 1970something Model 37 with both a 30" full and 28" modified, everyone told me to use the modified and sell the full but I'm old and slow and for the pheasant hunting I do I just shoot the 30" full better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

My 2 cents--stock fit is more important than barrel length. When properly mounted, I am unaware of barrel length. imho.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I've only shot Trap with my guns and seemed to do okay even with a 20 gauge.
With modern shotshells I doubt if the 30 inch barrel is necessary.

I sent my older 37 to King Ferry for a new barrel, after the barrel lug came off the original barrel and after having it welded warped the barrel, and had 26 inch barrel withchoke tubes installed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:43 am 
Field Grade

+1 on what the other Eric said. I think I break one clay more when I use a 28" or 30" barrel, but prefer the 26" when afield for ease of handling in the brush. Again, to paraphrase Eric, it's a Chevy, Ford; Dodge thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

A 30 inch barrel on a 3 inch chambered receiver pump would be about the same as shooting a 35 inch barrel on a double. If you put extended chokes on it, then you are easily beyond a 36 inch equivalent double.

It you think that is useful then go for it. As for me, a barrel longer than 28 inches on a 3 inch chambered semi auto or pump would be just cumbersome in the wild regardless of how it handles.

That goes double for use in a duck blind. However, I have never tried a Beverly Hillbillys, Jed Clampett equivalent length gun in a hunting situation, so can't speak from experience. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

ithacanut wrote:
My 2 cents--stock fit is more important than barrel length. When properly mounted, I am unaware of barrel length. imho.

Completely agree, but I was not thinking in terms of visual awareness of the barrel, but rather the feel; whether muzzle heaviness is likely in a barrel longer than 28". My stock has been modified and fits me extremely well.

If I run up on a really good deal on a 30" barrel, I may give it a try, but if I don't I am very content with the 28" fixed modified that I have in place. 2-3/4 inch length receiver, by the way.

Thanks for all the replies.