ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithacas on Gunrunner Auction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hello friends - not too much on the October Gunrunner auction, but there is one that deserves some TLC: auction 378 is a 1946 12ga 37S. Gun has some miles on her - originally FULL choke, now fitted with CUTTS with SKT tube. Correct forearm needs re-finish. Butt stock appears to be from a Field grade - wood is too plain for a 37S and checkering is field. Biggest sin is four holes (sob) drilled in receiver top - what were they thinking? This one really needs some restoration. Still, it's a 37S with a Knick rib. Be a great skeet gun for somebody to learn with.

Stay safe. Al

Post subject: Re: Ithacas on Gunrunner Auction
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 am 
Limited Edition

Al—I think this gun is beyond TLC! With a drilled receiver, chopped off barrel with a Cutts and the wrong stock, there’s not much to work with.

Post subject: Re: Ithacas on Gunrunner Auction
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I disagree - it all depends on what it brings. The Cutts doesn't bother me - it was standard equipment on most skeet guns of that era, and I can tell you from extensive experience with them, they grind claybirds! And the barrel length is about right for a Cutts equipped gun - it's a whole lot more useful than a Full choke barrel on a 37S. The butt stock wood you can find. The biggest sin is the holes in the receiver - nothing to be done there! Still, the gun is sound and would undoubtedly still do the job on the skeet field. There's something very satisfying about shooting a good score with an ancient skeet gun, surrounded by prima donnas with Berettas, Cesar Guerinis, Krieghoffs, etc with adjustable combs and ribs and too many choke tubes... :wink: