It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester model 12-standard trap
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lowgun - Spent three long years in Maryland and until my last six months in 2016 never received an invitation from anyone in Maryland for anything Winchester related. Fortunately, after one year in Maryland late 2014, the group from VA and WVA welcomed my novice experience and interest in Winchesters as true gentlemen. I feel honored they have allowed me to be part of there contingent. Most of them read this forum and rarely ever post. I just want to extend my thanks and gratitude. As I like to say, "You Guys Rock"!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

I'm sorry that my lack of assistance and compassion caused you to move from Maryland to North Carolina. I don't remember you inviting me to your gun room either. I believe I invited you to my gun club when you first moved to the Ft. Meade area. My invitation was never responded to.

Last edited by lowgun on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Model 12 boy you are extremely fortunate to have been befriended by the Va. WVa. boys. By far the greatest wealth of winchester knowledge left in the country. They don't post on here they just read this forum for amusement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

A few of us in Maryland know a bit about a Model 12 also.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

johnnyo wrote:
M12Gunboy wrote:
Did you acquire this gun?

Yes-- I will get set up to show pictures one of these days. The standard trap in 20 gauge must be super scarce as I talked to another known model 12 collector who has only seen a couple in his years of collecting.

What ever happened? Photos would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:18 am 
Utility Grade

In regards to the smaller gauge STANDARD TRAPS. I personally viewed a 16 gauge 28" solid rib Full, Nickel Steel 600,000 range with correct small checked F/A, It was at the Winchester Collectors Association held at the Cody Museum about 9 years ago. A noted collector named Fred out bid me. I quit at $1800.00. That is the only 16 gauge Standard Trap that I have seen in person. I have about 10-15 Standard Traps in different stock and rib configurations. Also have three 20 gauges. My grandfather bought the one 20 gauge new in 1937 and gave it to my father in 1939 when he turned 12. In 1971 my father gave me that Model 12 to me
when I turned 12. My brother was given a Standard Trap 20 for his birthday in the early sixties. My dad had a passion for Standard Traps and I have purchased every one that I have had in front of me except for that 16 gauge. Should have bid more it was mint!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

Do any of your 20 gauge standard traps or the 16 standard trap that you bid on have a plastic buttplate instead of the rubber buttpad? Wish I could find a 16 or 20 gauge standard trap in mint condition for $1800. I might pay double that. Extremely hard to find in the small gauges and mint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Missmodel12,

What are the chokes marked and barrel lengths of your STANDARD TRAP 20 Ga guns? Do you have any 16 or 20 gauge Trap grades marked MODEL-12-TRAP?

I'd pay in the $3-6k range without much thought for a 90% unaltered original configured solid rib 20 gauge STANDARD TRAP or MODEL-12-TRAP marked gun. These are extremely scarce, especially in high original condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

Gunboy, I reread your original post and am still mystified by your decision to ignore my suggestion that I had invited you to meet and fool with Winchesters. I can get to Fort Meade in 25 minutes, and you could have gotten to my gun club or gun room in the same time period. Your other negative comments about living in Maryland fell on my deaf ears. What are your comments?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

Whats wrong with living in Maryland? I have been looking at homes in the Deep Creek area the last couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm 
Crown Grade

What's wrong with Maryland? M12Gunboy implies that he has been mistreated and ignored by Maryland collectors. I remember helping him into a very valuable Super Pigeon that I could have bought, but handed over to him. I also remember inviting him to my club to show and tell and shoot our guns. Somehow, he is a bit wrapped up in making money on his guns and forgot how to have fun with them and the people who collect them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

This thread started out to be very useful until lowgun ruined it. It came back with more good information from missmodel12 who I think will be a very good asset to the forum and by dam if you didn't foul it up again lowgun. I visit and post here to learn and enjoy Winchesters. Go cry elsewhere... nobody cares.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Agreed. Lowgun, your apparent sensitivity about residing in Maryland has been noted. However, I doubt that anyone here is very interested. So, please retire to your gun room and stroke your little treasures or whatever you do. You can rejoin the discussion when you are better rested and not so cranky. If you want to get into a verbal joust via the internet, go find a political forum. Now, back to the intended purpose of this forum. I too, would like to hear what Missmodel12 has to say.
Lowgun, one more thing. You should apologize to Rob and the rest of the forum for your pettiness. You can start your own thread for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

I apologize to the posters for replying to Model12Gunboy's comment about being mistreated by Maryland collectors. I thought his mean spirited comment warranted a response. He was never ignored or mistreated by anyone that I am aware of.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

My Standard Trap 20 that has been in our family since 1937 has been worked over. My father had a buddy that owned and refinished firearms in the 50s and 60s. The original English stock had the checkering sanded down and a wooden spacer with two white spacers sandwiched it between. Stock cut then reattached. My father did this so at the trap range he could spot his Model 12 at a distance. I have the original Winchester Red pad but worn smooth and I installed a Red Pachmayr White line as the gun kept slipping off of my shoulder. The rust blue solid rib barrel and my father as he called it then vapor blasted the balance of the gun so it has a worn grey look that still looks as it did 50 years ago. Serial range 7467XX and the choke opened to .017. Power Pistons shot too tight from cork wads. My father was a shooter and hunter. He became a serious collector and buyer in later years. That gun has taken more game than any other firearm in our family.. Still looks fantastic today and I will have to ask my brother about his 20. It is I believe in the 800,000 range. I have a few more but will have to get those cards out and re-read their configurations. The 16 gauge that I did not get baffled me at first because of the small checked F/A. It was my understanding that all Standard Traps came with the extended new style checked F/A. I honestly do not remember the pad or butt plate. I should have taken a picture of it because that would be all I would have. I do have one other Standard Trap 20 in front of me. Choked factory CYL and someone of course could not leave a rare one alone. CUTTS added, correct F/A and the butt was replaced. Original finish, 752915.
As the collectors know straight ones are hard to find. I have some good 12 gauges and will dig them out. I believe my brother's is pretty correct and not fiddled with.

Last edited by missmodel12 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I will have to correct my numbers of Standard Traps as I have about 8. The others are trap marked from the high 800,000 into the 900,000 range. Two Standard Traps are solid rib 30s, one with P/G and other English. I have one Heavy Duck Standard Trap as well as a Trap marked one also. Also one 30 milled rib (two pin) Standard Trap with a English stock. May find a couple more in a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the information. I have a standard trap 20 gauge(details in first post) that I acquired from a 50 year old collection of guns. I have tried to get this gun for years and finally he agreed to sell me the gun. This is the only 20 gauge that I have seen in 40 years of collecting guns. They have to be a fairly scarce gun. I don't recall seeing a 16 gauge either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:40 am 
Utility Grade

Just off the phone with my brother. His 20 gauge Standard Trap is a late one at 786900 which is about 1939. His is 28" SR FULL and PG without cap. His had not been messed with. He did not have it in his hands to get a barrel 2 digit date. My dad gave this one to my brother on his 12th birthday, 1959. Get this he bought the gun in 1958 from his friend who owned a gun shop in town for $40.00. I saw many 12s and 42s go through our house in the 60s for under a 100.00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

WOW! if there is an emoji that shows a head with a mushroom cloud above, that could be the rest of us..... MissModel12 you are blessed, Thanks for sharing! Notime2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm 
Field Grade

missmodel12 wrote:
Just off the phone with my brother. His 20 gauge Standard Trap is a late one at 786900 which is about 1939. His is 28" SR FULL and PG without cap. His had not been messed with. He did not have it in his hands to get a barrel 2 digit date. My dad gave this one to my brother on his 12th birthday, 1959. Get this he bought the gun in 1958 from his friend who owned a gun shop in town for $40.00. I saw many 12s and 42s go through our house in the 60s for under a 100.00

Did it have a buttplate or a rubber pad? Also: Nickel or proof steel barrel?