CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Super X-1...another fan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

After being bitten by the autoloader bug, I recently purchased a Remington 1100 and a Winchester Super X-1. The Remington helped me successfully shoot my 2nd 25 in skeet yesterday. The Super X-1...my goodness. You weren't kidding!

Having done my homework and read the entire Winchester forum for Super X-1 posts (maybe "scanning" would be a better description), I decided that the $300 X-1 at my favorite gunshop had to come home. I drove there, and crestfallen...found it was gone. It was a Mod choke field model in fair condition, but I was planning on refinishing the wood and using it as an in-between gun for Trap and Skeet.

Luckily, I searched the walls of the rest of the shop, and found a much nicer X-1 with a 30-inch Full barrel, and just over $400. My spirits perked up, and while it won't serve me as a Skeet gun (not the way I shoot, anyway), I brought it home to check out the innards of what everyone has been talking about. (Yes, I know barrels are available. Why do you think I want to buy the very next "beater" Mod-choke X-1 I find?)

First, it's true! Super X-1's are very nicely built, and simplicity itself to disassemble and reassemble. I get a little bit of the giddiness I once felt when cleaning up an old Swedish Mauser..."you mean I bought THIS for how little??"

Second, I am in debt to everyone who continued to consistently posted, "check the bolt buffer before shooting." When I pulled out the trigger group, I found a hard, black nugget. Thinking it might be built-up powder residue, I went to throw it away...then stopped. It was too shiny. I set it aside, and followed SGW's instructions on removing the link and bolt assembly. Peering into the back of the receiver--no surprise, there were the cracked and riddled pieces of the bolt buffer, looking all the world like a cracked Lifesaver after a light hammer blow.

Ordered some buffers, O-rings and springs from Wright's today, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she shoots. Let me edit that. I can't possibly wait 2-3 days for the parts to arrive, install them, and shoot this gun. I feel like an 8-year-old does three days before Christmas when they know "the present" is under the tree.

For those who might ask, I have a M56xxx serial number, series 1 trigger, and a bolted rib. I know, neither feature is desireable to some--but it's a Super X-1, and if it shoots well, I'll be the happiest new autoloader owner in my corner of the world.

Thanks again to everyone who posted about this excellent shotgun. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Super X-1...another fan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Howdy, congrats and welcome to the addiction :P

Quote:
For those who might ask, I have a M56xxx serial number, series 1 trigger, and a bolted rib. I know, neither feature is desireable to some--but it's a Super X-1

Double check for sure, is the trigger shoe aluminum or steel-----smooth or grooved? Your serial number should make it late model with a soldered rib and late trigger, unless someone bought the gun just for that, to swap out early parts and sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

TexasTon,

Thanks, and I appreciate all of your informative posts that added to the Super X-1 acquisition.

I wish I had a better way of checking the trigger for you. It is grooved, and gives a bit of a dull "click" when I ring it with a steel blade. I was guessing Series 1 because it was grooved and because of the bolt at the end of the rib--wrong guess on my part? The pull does seem rather heavy. There is a screw on top of the trigger group underneath a small hook; if that's an adjustment screw, I intend to leave it alone.

1-2 days to buffer delivery; about 48 hours too many! Guess I'll have to wait until Saturday to shoot the X-1, so the 1100 will go to the range with me tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
I wish I had a better way of checking the trigger for you. It is grooved, and gives a bit of a dull "click" when I ring it with a steel blade. I was guessing Series 1 because it was grooved and because of the bolt at the end of the rib--wrong guess on my part?

No, you are correct, you've got an early trigger and barrel, it's just that I'm fairly sure that late a gun should have the late trigger. But who knows, the way my memory is slipping anymore I'm probably wrong.

Be patient, get the buffer and enjoy! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got the buffer in just two business days (Wright's ships Priority). Thanks to the X-1's easy takedown, I had it installed in about 10 minutes.

Just as advertised, it throws my modest 7/8 oz Trap loads to the side with agility (must get a shell deflector!), and I hit 22 and 21 in my first two lines. I'm very happy with its point of impact, and clearly knew when shots were my fault.

I hesitate to exaggerate, but I'd have to say the recoil felt about like a hot load in a 10/22. That's pretty nice. I could easily see my safe filling in the extra slots with more X-1's!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Funny you mentioned Super X recoil. I have three of them, and a Model 1100 to compare them to. For my shoulder, the Supers are as light or lighter kickers than the Model 1100. Texas Ton and other SX1 fans love the guns, but think they kick harder because of faster lock time.

We might all agree on this: A Super X One is the finest gas operated target autoloader ever made. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

The X-1 has a 25 in trap waiting for it. Ran the first 16 straight again before missing a straightaway on 3. Hit the next seven and missed the last bird, a shallow left. One 23, one 21 as the shadows were starting to come down. Nothing to brag about, but the X-1 is so easy to shoot, it feels like cheating all of a sudden. Not only that, but the 7/8 oz loads that chipped and fragged through my pumps seem to destroy the clay. Very, very happy with the Super X-1!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
but the X-1 is so easy to shoot, it feels like cheating all of a sudden

Over the years I've had a few hundred people ask/want or I offer for them to shoot mine, the comments are relatively close to yours. I guess the only negative comment I can remember was a guy that asked to shoot it, a devoted O/U Kreighoff driver, he said the trigger wasn't any good but then said "but it's the best auto trigger I've ever used"!!!

Bout this time last year, a little earlier, I was having a good day at a charity event and ran them out. A squadmate said "but you make it look so easy"!! I handed him the gun and said try a few, as long as you don't handicap it, it will break them all for you too---just look at the target. We were on about the 30 yard line at the trap segment and he totally smashed the next 5 targets with it. He just said "you're right, it knows how" :roll: :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

The darned X-1 is magic, I tell you. I've never shot higher than 23 before. Last night, 24, then another 24. The wind picked up, and I missed 2 of 5 on the first station of my third line, then went 19/20.

The funniest part is that I accidentally grabbed my Skeet load for the first round (1 1/8 oz of 9's); shot fine. Second line was my standard Trap load (7/8 of 8's); also shot fine, but obviously recoils less.

This shotgun is fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

would you please tell me where the instructions for link and bolt disassbly are located?

thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I don't know if there is one, other than the few times it's be desribed here, wonder what it would take to get a sticky?? :roll:

Are you wanting to tear down the bolt itself, or just get it out?

If just out, remove the trigger and stand the gun on its pad. Wrap whichever hand you want to hold the gun with around the receiver top, then hold up on the bolt handle with your thumb.

Behind the bolt, attached with a pin to the bolt, is the bolt link---tuning fork looking thing. Follow it back and it will end up sitting in the follower, all you do is depress the follower with a small screwdriver or whatever is handy til the link is free. Tilt the gun back towards you and the link will swing free thru the slot in the spring tube..

Pop out the bolt handle, grab the link and in one motion you can most likely pull to the rear and lift at the back, and the bolt will just fall out. If it won't happen that easy for you now, a few times down the road it will. Otherwise, just pull to the back and lift thru the cutouts in the rails.

If you want to disassemle the bolt, knock the pin out holding the firing pin in the back of the breech. It will spring out slightly, just push the pin and breech back in and lift up and out with the bolt lock. Once there, it will slide apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:30 am 
Limited Edition

thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

...yet another 24 on the Trap field (after three lines of Skeet).

I'm due, I tell you! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quit thinking about it, it'll happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to this forum and I enjoy all of the information that is posted here. I had the good fortune this April of locating a Winchester Super X1 Trap Shotgun. This Shotgun was built at the Winchester Custom Shop in 1987. The gun is beautiful. The previous owner had not fired it in the 22 years that he owned it. I was very hesitant to shoot it myself but the old fella that I got it from told me that a Gun such as this needed to be out on the Trap Field. I have run about 20 Boxes through it to date. I have not shot very well with it yet. It is quite different from my old Remington 1100. I may have a custom Stock made for it to try get it to fit better. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:54 pm 

Replace the bolt buffer NOW Use a Wrights. Shoot no more until you verify the buffer is good.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bazoo wrote:
Any suggestions?

What Curly says, you also need to find out where the gun is shooting----either on a pattern plate/paper/or still targets on the ground, mount and pull up and fire on the target. Is it printing R/L high or low?

Was the 1100 a trap?

And,,,,,,,,,,we sure like to gaze upong pretty SuperX's, why don't ya take us some pictures? :wink:

Approximate serial number??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the rapid reply. The 1100 Remington is a Trap model however it has a low stock. With the Winchester MC Stock I have a hard time centering my eye over the rib. Perhaps some cast off would help. I do have a new shock buffer for it but I have not yet put it in. The o-ring is a little frayed as well. Here is a pic. She is purdier in real life. I hope it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
have a hard time centering my eye over the rib

You're right eye dominant and you're looking slightly down the left side of the rib, and maybe even more than slightly??

Does the wood have some right hand cast to it? If it doesn't, then it's likely not a factory (complete gun sold over the counter) piece. Replacement stocks, and specialty applications didn't get any cast.

If so, then yes some cast would help but probably not as much as it sounds like you need. A straight trap or skeet stock could be a better choice for you. But......unless you're going to marry that gun and see it thruout your days, I wouldn't modify the comb. If you're going to shoot it and try to wear it out, do whatever it takes to make it fit.

You may be a candidate for an adjustable comb though I dislike them just a bit. With one too tall it's hard to tell what's going on without doing damage to the stock. One too low, it's easy to tape cardboard or whatever on to see how much you need to raise it. All this by yourself, that is.

A good stockfitter could tell you but that's $$$$ that could put you towards another stock, too. Your call.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm having problems posting Pics. What am I doing wrong? Too big? Serial number is SXP0031. Curly thanks for the reminder of the buffer. It was missing. Must have been robbed for another gun. Fortunately no damage done other than a few scuff marks inside. I installed the new one. Never assume anything.