It is currently Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: time to give the Model 50 long deserved credit. post em
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
i can see it on both posts.
i give up. it was just a matter of time before modem/dial up and ie7 werent supported by old websites.
click my link. go to gallery. look in want/trade room. its on bottom. lmk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
one more try...

[url][http://1776x2.com/gallery/21_02_06_15_8_08_01.jpeg/url]

[img]http://1776x2.com/gallery/21_02_06_15_8_08_01.jpeg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

one more try...

[url][http://1776x2.com/gallery/21_02_06_15_8_08_01.jpeg/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

New one on me as none of the dozen or so thru the years has had that little add-on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

hey! my pic worked!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:55 am 
Field Grade

Interesting, can you tell if it is covering up a hole or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

not my gun. wish i knew.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:43 am 
Tournament Grade

model 50 skeet up for grabs.......

http://gunauctiononline.com/viewitem/aid/2007/lid/218

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

lot of viewers have asked about the stock washer mod.
im posting pics to help. the diagram is out of the winchester shop manual. it shows the location of where the washers should go.
the problem, (is as with many winchester shotguns,) is so many have been parted together, stripped for re-sale of parts on ebay and just plain frankengunned, that you cant tell just by year or serial number ranges anymore, to know whether or not the mod has been done to your gun.
in a perfect world, as original owner, 60 years ago, with authorized winchester repair facilites......the correct way to modify an early model 50 stock BEFORE the mod was done to all guns off the assembly line, was as follows:
* order the 2 washers.
* have the gunsmith remove wood the equal thickness of the 2 washers from the stock cavity.
* install the 2 washers.
* reassemble gun modified.

the mod instructions were dated july 1957, so that means all guns prior to 1957 needed the mod.

fast forward to modern time.

so, is the gun you have in your hands in original condition? meaning, can you confirm it wasnt sold to you as a parts gun? if you can, and if your gun is pre 1957, it most likely needs the washers. if its post 1957, it was done from the factory on all new guns.

problem.
if your gun is a gunbroken or a fleebay wood stock special, the seller could have built or sold the gun from parts, mixing stocks up on guns that are post 57. there is no way to know unless you mike out the wood inside.
heres what happens.
if you put a stock on a gun that has not been modified for washers, its too short inside and it'll loosen. when it loosens, people buy the washers, but dont bore out the wood for them to fit. so now they got 2 washers in the unmodified stock. they go to tighten up the stock, but because they changed the OL of the stock tube, the recoil spring and op rod recoils back to where its suppose to be, but there is a gap between the properly adjusted cap and the safety clip. hazard? you now have a gun set up to recoil too far as the cap loosens out, causing the bolt assy to travel too far back cracking the receiver as the cap turns and loosens from recoil after recoil until it stops as it hits the clip. and double those odds of cracking if the spring is old and worn.
the holes for the clip were drilled where the cap is suppose to be, but the extra wood with washers causes the stock to tighten too soon, making the cap never reach the clip area on the tube when adjusted properly.

if you get washers and assemble your gun, if there is a gap between the clip and top of the cap after the gun is PROPERLY TIMED and adjusted iaw the manual, it means your wood wasnt bored. you either must have it bored or do the bobski quick fix.

when you install the new washers AND REPLACE THE RECOIL SPRING WITH A NEW ONE, take either a dime or penny and place it over the top of the cap and under the clip after you make the proper adjustment. this will force the cap from advancing outward. it will make the cap stay where it is properly adjusted and put pressure on the clip forcing the cap from backing out.

hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I own and shoot a model 59 which I like. It is very light and is my go to chukar gun. You want a light gun to crawl over the rocky slopes where those birds roost. I see model 50's in gun shows all of the time, but have never heard a thing about them one way or the other. Are they good guns?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:12 pm 
Field Grade

They are basically the same gun in very general terms. The 50 came first and (IMO) is more robust than the 59 wo getting into all kinds of details. I've had mine since I was thirteen (now 68) and have had no problems with it that weren't my own doing...i.e. dumb kid that didn't take care of it like I should have. Review earlier posts on this sub forum for all kinds of info on these guns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:50 pm 
Crown Grade

for those that know my passion for 50's, for me to say im considering thinning some out may come as a shock, but i might. anyone want a shot at some, let me know your interests. pm me.
cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:47 am 
Utility Grade

I just got a Model 50 Feather weight and after a good cleaning tried a few shots to try it out. Is the noise or thud feeling in the stock normal. I guess it is the inertia rod moving but was just making sure it was normal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A new recoil spring is probably in order. They are a bit tricky to change out.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I ordered one from Wolf Spring. I have been reading up on adjusting timing. With the spring out I could see how turning it in till it won't lock the bolt ,then backing out till it does works. I think what you want is maximum spring pressure but enough travel for bolt to lock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I have it all apart re cleaning it and there seems to be almost no wear any place I can see. I will get some pictures when I get it all back together. It is a serial number in the 177430 range with a A at the end. It was very gummy inside and chamber was stuck. Everything moves nice now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

i'll be posting up some pretty m50's on gunauction soon. they will be sold as 3 or 4 bbl sets, all engraved. watch for them soon. thin wallets need not apply! :>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 pm 
Field Grade

hello, first time post on Winchester site. I have a 20 gauge model 50 with ribbed 26" barrel marked ws-1 choke. seems to be authentic "skeet" grade with quite nice wood and mid bead. the puzzle to me is it has straight or English grip stock. checkering of the stock seems original factory and no indication of any alteration of the wood is present. fore stock is consistent with "skeet" grade. is it likely to be a factory original "skeet" grade gun? thoughts and comments welcomed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

yes. the option you have makes it an E grade skeet. now there are 2 types of E grade....skeet and pigeon. does your forearm have 3 diamonds? if so..odds are its a skeet gun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

bobski wrote:
yes. the option you have makes it an E grade skeet. now there are 2 types of E grade....skeet and pigeon. does your forearm have 3 diamonds? if so..odds are its a skeet gun.

thanks for the information pertaining to it. yes it has 3 diamonds. it has been graced with an ugly recoil pad, likely to lengthen lop. its 13 3/4" to the wood so perhaps hasn't been cut. would appreciate info from anyone as to obtaining the proper butt plate. also, mag cap as well???? I guess ownership allows one to install sling attachments on such a nice arm and as a result it has gaping holes in the cap and butt stock. "it has a better home now".
thanks again for helping out. cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next