It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super X-1 Bolt Slide Buffer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:55 pm 
Field Grade

I have been a skeet shooter, on and off, for the last 30 years. Recently I decided to give Sporting Clays a try, so I dusted off my Super X-Model 1, 28 inch, modified bbl, which has been in my gunsafe since the 70s, and took it to the range. I didn't shoot very well, but the gun functioned reliably.
Since joining this forum, I've learned that the Bolt Slide Buffer should be replaced after all these years. Today I ordered a new buffer from Wrights Inc.
Can anyone advise me as to the easiest way to install the buffer, or refer me to a website where I can get that information? I suppose I could wait until reliability suffers, but I would prefer to do preventative maintenance now.

Post subject: Re: Super X-1 Bolt Slide Buffer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:11 pm 

Remove the barrel, trigger group and the bolt. Remove the stock. Push the old buffer out from the area covered by the stock. Set the new buffer in place and secure it by driving into place with a dowel down thru the barrel opening. Clean and lubricate the gun and put 'er back together

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Remove the barrel, trigger group and the bolt. Remove the stock. Push the old buffer out from the area covered by the stock. Set the new buffer in place and secure it by driving into place with a dowel down thru the barrel opening. Clean and lubricate the gun and put 'er back together

Curly- Thanks for the reply. I'm a novice. How do I remove the stock?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Simply remove the recoil or butt plate by unscrewing the two phillips head screws. Then you will see a hollow tube in your stock. In the bottum there is a straight head bolt that is holding the stock on. Just use a big screwdriver and make sure that when you apply pressure to unscrew it make sure you do not let it slip, as you can actually wedge the screwdriver between the bolt head and stock, resulting in a crack in the stock. If you can figure out what size socket fits it that would be the safer bet...

A secret to prevent this is to use a piece of conduit that can slip in the hole, and be just a tad larger that the bolt head.

Member of Rose City Flying Clays

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

On all mine I use a 14mm socket spanner - had screwdriver slots on remmy but not my X1's :?:

dave