Shotgun Forum banner

Model 12 Heavy Duck Black Diamond

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  missmodel12 
#1 ·
I picked up a Winchester Model 12 sight unseen to turn into my Skeet gun. When I got it it was a Heavy Duck with a black diamond stock. The finish on the receiver is pretty good, finish on the barrel and magazine about 70%.

When I saw the 32" barrel and fancy walnut stock I knew I couldn't cut down for a skeet gun. Looking around I have found no information on the heavy duck plus black diamond stock. Vintage is 1939. Anyone seen this combination before?

#6 ·
Riffle shows that in 1938 one could special order the Heavy Duck in Standard Trap Grade, Special Trap Grade and Pigeon Grade.

In July 1938 the MODEL-12-TRAP replaced the old STANDARD TRAP roll-stamp on the receiver extensions. If a Heavy Duck was ordered in Standard Trap Grade would its receiver extension be marked STANDARD TRAP?

I'll tag in another point here. In his Model 12 book, Riffle calls the guns Model 12 Skeet Grade pre WW-II and Model 12 Skeet Gun post-War. I've gone through every piece of Winchester paper in my collection from 1933 to 1964 and Winchester used Model 12 Skeet Gun throughout.

#15 ·
Does the stock have the factory lead weight in it? If not, it's not the original wood for that gun. Carefully remove the recoil pad and you'll know. I went through this with a Heavy Duck I was going to purchase that the seller believed the higher grade wood was original and upon inspection it did not have the weighted lead stock. Alot of duck guns were upgraded and customized by folks for shooting trap as the duck guns weigh more and tend to recoil a bit less.

#16 ·
winmod21 said:
It'll be interesting to see what the experts say, but I believe that may not be the original wood for that gun.
Leaning that way myself, need close up shots, stock looks longer than a HD stock stock, unable to id checkering pattern as pre war was 20 lines per inch, finer for black diamond, pre war HD stocks were either 13 5/8" or 13 7/8's then changed to 13 3/4" post war. Winchester produced several pre war model 12 Heavy Duck brochures, the 32" barrel was standard with 30" available then post war the 30" was standard. most pre war M-12 HD I've owned chokes were tighter than post war models.

If this is a black diamond HD stock, very rare, all original model 12 heavy duck stocks are the most difficult to replace of all orininal stocks.

#17 ·
That stock looks too long to be a magnum stock, but it looks like a righteous pre war trap grade stock. Is it marked TRAP on the extension? Of course, that is the easiest thing to fake. I can't remember whether pre war trap grade forearms had three diamonds on the bottom. I think they did. Yours does not seem to. It sure is a nice looking gun.

#18 ·
I know that this is a very late post to the Black Diamond Trap Grade Heavy Duck Model 12 but I will add to it. In my collection of 30 or so Heavy Ducks I have a Pigeon of the 50s that I will later add the information on but in my hands right now I have a Standard Trap Grade Heavy Duck of about 1939. Serial number is 786049, 30" FULL Solid Rib, pretty good figure in wood, factory red Win pad at 13-5/8" LOP. ( that was the correct LOP for HDs unless special ordered) Correct pre-war fine checkered wood. Stamped Standard Trap on the receiver extension and original blue and varnish finish. Any Deluxe Heavy Duck is rare as most were 30" plain barrel standard field grades. Getting close to 300 Model 12s I can say there were many oddities out there and I am fortunate to own quite a few of them. The gun in question for this original post appears correct and would have a pretty good value price wise to the advanced collector. Here are the stats on my Standard Trap Grade Heavy Duck.
1939 with a barrel date of 37, standard front bead and center bead at 13-3/4" from muzzle. 1 piece slide, 9-1/2" F/A, matted slide lock release, 1st notch adjusting sleeve, 2 screw headspace ring, carrier (lifter) with out guide, 1 piece magnum bolt before pinned ledge bolt, Winchester Proof Steel roll marking 1st style, follower no holes, 23" mag spring folded both ends, but without the factory plug. Very nice branch installed as the plug. I have found many branches in my purchased Model 12s. I have a collection of those documented. I have an expensive set of bore mics and these are the measurements I get and I use the difference of course for choke dimensions. You may not agree with my measurements but the end result is the same. Bore .732" Muzzle .695" Depth 3-1/2" Choke .037" Any questions you may have or other Model 12 questions you can reach me via e-mail or call 310-508-1827. Much information out there is slightly off at times and with the numbers I have I have a pretty good comparison of models, grades and variations. This was purchased 10 years ago for $800 and I was told by the seller that he bought it from the original owner. It was carried and hunted with but in fantastic shape for its age.

#21 ·
Finally found my TRAP GRADE HEAVY DUCK. Serial 900662 1941 with barrel date 40. 30" solid rib with twin beads. Special order LOP stock 14" with lead to factory red Winchester pad. WRA grip cap with extra figure. Field dimension drop. Fine pre-war checked both butt and 9-1/2" F/A. Marked MODEL-12-TRAP on receiver extension. W stamped just forward of carrier at receiver for blueing issue. Red still in safety, carrier with guide, ribbed slide lock release. Round bolt with pinned ledge. 2nd variation magnum bolt. Factory paper wrapped 3 shot wooden plug. Receiver top is blasted as skeet grade guns with the step down at proof mark polished.Bore: .733" Muzzle: .698" Depth: 3-1/2" Choke: .035" Very nice vintage original hard to find duck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.