It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 12 Disassembly/Reassembly Pictorial Gui
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:01 pm 
Utility Grade

my '48 slide release button is sticking, and releases only when dry fired. Have re & re the assembly, looked OK but still sticking. Anyone know what may be causing this, and or a solution?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is a guess, but if the gun works fine when dry fired and sticks when fired the gun has a rough chamber that prevents extraction.

Polish and clean the chamber with gusto.

The second cause might be some malfunction of the slide release mechanism under the forend. Normally it must be shoved a little forward to unlock the slide. Disassemble the forend all the way and inspect the little coil spring under the forend.

The ultimate truth is that a M12s reputation for reliability is greatly exaggerated.

Shoot one enough and they all give trouble.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The original recoil pad and wood refinish job was a huge disappointment; that fellow was not a woodsmith.

I finally had it redone by a professional, Andrew McFarlane of ADM Gunworks, in the proper vintage oil finish. I would have liked to keep the original bakelite butt-plate, by it was as slippery as a greased pig. This Pachmayr Decelerator is the perfect mix of staying where it is put, while not catching on my shirt, and absorbing recoil, which is not a factor with this gun as it is fairly heavy, ~ 8 lbs of Nickel Steel and walnut, and fits me well.

http://www.admgun.com

Hard to believe this is the original purple gun. Enjoy the pics:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:51 am 
Field Grade

nody wrote:
The original recoil pad and wood refinish job was a huge disappointment; that fellow was not a woodsmith.

I finally had it redone by a professional, Andrew McFarlane of ADM Gunworks, in the proper vintage oil finish. I would have liked to keep the original bakelite butt-plate, by it was as slippery as a greased pig. This Pachmayr Decelerator is the perfect mix of staying where it is put, while not catching on my shirt, and absorbing recoil, which is not a factor with this gun as it is fairly heavy, ~ 8 lbs of Nickel Steel and walnut, and fits me well.

Nice Mod 12. I came across a source for butt plates while I was restoring my late father's 1956 Browning A5 last year >>> http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopcart/48/Buttplates.htm

BTW, I have a like new Mod 12 12g/3in/FC/30in bbl that appeared to have had little use when I bought it. http://imgur.com/a/1swPQ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 am 
Utility Grade

My first post to this site and all I wanted to say was thanks for this.

I rescued my Grandfathers M12 from a life of neglect and constant dry-fire in a family members home. It had been hiding under a bed, surrounded by dust, cat dander and wrapping paper, taken out only when the youngster in the house wanted to play Army with it.

I thought it had been sold or lost long ago. The deer rifle (Sporterized Eddystone Model 1918) was there too. That was also rescued but will require much more TLC.

Its life has improved drastically, thanks its rescue, relocation and this excellent step by step guide.

Again, thank you.

Take care