Shotgun Forum banner

Great Winchester Buying Weekend

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  M12Gunboy 
#1 ·
A quick note of congratulations to those who were able to score some great Model 12's and 42's this weekend at the auctions.

I think the gun that surprised me the most was the George Ulrich engraved Black Diamond Trap Model 12 in 12 gauge with 2 Pin VR (Rough Back) and aftermarket pistol grip cap, no recoil pad and after market Cutts Compensator which brought $16,500.00. Someone with too much money and a lot less common sense bought that one.

I wasn't fortunate enough to land one this weekend but fir those that did, I commend you. Some great buys and awesome guns were acquired. I enjoyed it.

V/R-Gunboy

#5 ·
Sorry but I am not at liberty to discuss the details of the estate and invitation auctions I have been or will be an invitee of. The group of gentlemen who "took me in" and now include me in there collecting circle have been exceptionally generous.

The recent estate auction was a live auction we attended in VA, a splendid trip, outstanding hosts and Winchester fellowship.

The second auction this weekend was another live auction held by a firearms estate liquidator. Myself and two others in our group were able to get a look at the auction items we were interested in via email and text during the viewing period since we were unable to travel to both the VA auction and this auction.

The third one was an auction on-line which was run through auctionzip.com this past weekend, I can't find the link anymore, they must have already taken it down.

I was very surprised Mr. Galazan wasn't at the VA estate auction this past weekend. A lot of nice stuff was sold, some guns sold for exceptionally high prices while others sold way under what we expected. I believe and am seeing in a lot of these auctions and estate sales that most auctioneers, estate holders and executors are not gun people and are not able to identify engraving or authenticate a lot of guns and they sell for much less than actual value. I wasn't fortunate enough to score the two things I was interested in this time, one went for a crazy price and the other was bought by a member of the group who claimed "dibs" on it from the beginning.

The upcoming live PA estate auction, which I spoke of in another thread, I have also been invited to attend. It also has some real nice Winchesters. Hopefully I can score a small bore graded Model 12 or another factory engraved gun this time. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I would think Mr. Galazan would have this information and know of these "on-goings". I believe you stated at one point you have/had a relationship with him and figured you would have been informed due to your friendship with Mr. Galazan.

I have tried my best to help folks here and show guns to stay away from on Gunbroker and Guns International, as have others on this forum. I have also tried, when I find a gem which I have no interest in, to either post it here or reach out to those who have reached out to me looking for a Model 12 or 42.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Actually,that gun was a factory cutts.And I would say that price was on point if you planned on keeping it.If it was'nt a cutts, I would say it would have been close to 20 grand.How many gold inlaid ulrich guns has anyone seen.That is probably only the third one I have ever seen in the wild.

#7 ·
model121950 said:
Actually,that gun was a factory cutts.And I would say that price was on point if you planned on keeping it.If it was'nt a cutts, I would say it would have been close to 20 grand.How many gold inlaid ulrich guns has anyone seen.That is probably only the third one I have ever seen in the wild.
Agree and disagree. Agree if it didn't have the Cutts it would have likely realized $20K plus, may have gone for a lot more. The Cutts in my opinion was not factory, as it is not a Flanged Cutts, it is a screw on. Additionally, the chamber marking (2 3/4 CHAM.) is in the wrong location of the barrel legend for a 1940 gun. The original choke marking and chamber marking were likely removed and engraved over. I expected this gun to realize in the $6-8K range given some recent sales of non gold inlaid Ulrich engraved guns. I'd like to see what this gun would do at one of the big auction houses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.