It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Engraved model 12 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Alembic wrote:
Congrats! and pardon my ignorance of the finer guns but wouldn't that be a Model 1912?
Did the factory commission the engraving or the original owner?

Yes, this is a model 1912. The model 1912 didn't stay around very long until it was changed to the model 12 so people just use the model 12 term for the total production years of the guns. Kinda like 1897 and people say they have a 97, if that makes any sense. As far as the engraving I'm not sure. My uneducated guess would be the original owner. Maybe others on here can add their thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 am 
Diamond Grade

It would have been ordered by the customer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 am 
Presentation Grade

I really like to see guns like this, and all items that display remarkable craftsmanship for that matter.

But then I think; could I own one ? I mean yes, I could come up with the cash but I honestly think I enjoy looking at them more than I would owning one. I just couldn't resist taking it out hunting. Then I'd probably fall front first into a roll of barbed wire with it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's absolutely great there are folks willing to preserve items like this, and what's more allow us to share it in the enjoyment of them but I don't think I have it in me.

Say, where's that gun going to be opening day this October ? Need some place to store it ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

My opinion is unless NIB a gun can be shot. Would I shoot a gun like this every weekend or even every few months? No, I wouldn't. I have my hunting guns, target guns and occasional shooters which are my collector guns. Some have never been fired by me.

This gun would be great with OOO Buck, on a South Georgia deer hunt running dogs. Tight choke, short barrel, light weight....and after you dropped it, hit the tail gate of a pick up with it unloading dogs or scrambling to get the pick doors open and on a stand, you'd destroy it and its value.

Collecting is a disease, only limited by the thickness of your wallet and how badly you've been infected.

This being said, are you bringing it down for the deer/dog opener in October in Ludowici, GA Mr. Retsehcniw?

Last edited by M12Gunboy on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve shot my Model 21 Grand American, my Model 12 Kusmit engraved Pigeon and my Purdey 20 bore. Why, so I can say that I’ve shot them. Mostly they just get looked at. Guns were made to be shot.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a good friend who has a bunch of his grandad's Winchester rifles. His grandad was a pretty serious collector with older used guns and NIB guns.

My friend is a serious outdoorsman, every kind of hunting, shooting, fishing, trapping, you name it. He says some of these rifles are driving him crazy just sitting there. I told him to shoot them, enjoy them. He's not disrespecting his grandad by doing so.

That's been nearly ten years, he still hasn't taken them out of the box.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Me personally... I do not like shooting pump guns. My short stubby arms make it not fun at all. My autos and double barrels I enjoy shooting a lot. I guess I could cut the stock down on a couple of my model 12 to fit. BRB.. gonna go get my sawzall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Retsehcniw wrote:
Me personally... I do not like shooting pump guns. My short stubby arms make it not fun at all. My autos and double barrels I enjoy shooting a lot. I guess I could cut the stock down on a couple of my model 12 to fit. BRB.. gonna go get my sawzall.

Ithaca model 37 with the long forearm is the best for that situation. I have a hard time with the 870. I shoot left handed and my thumb interferes with the ejected shell unless I hold far forward.

You can get a longer forearm for your model 12.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Shooting guns out of our collections that we don't want to expose to harsh weather or terrain is why we have Dove shooting!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
Shooting guns out of our collections that we don't want to expose to harsh weather or terrain is why we have Dove shooting!

That, my friend, is an excellent point! My sentiments exactly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Was given the opportunity to view and handle this beautiful example of a classic engraved Winchester Model 12 small bore engraved by Mr. Stokes. The photos we saw here were great but in hand inspection and viewing was spectacular. The detail and original condition are phenomenal. Wanted to extend my gratitude to the owner, his family and the Virginia Winchester collector crew for the invitation and fellowship discussing, collecting and socializing about vintage Winchester shotguns. Thank you.