CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it worth it? Custom SX3 Work. Angle Porting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I am concidering sending my new Super X3 to Angle Porting for some work. I shoot sporting clays about 1-2 times per week. I am new to the sport. But I am addicted. I love the gun the way it shoots now. But I am concidering angle porting, trigger work, action polishing, and forcing cone work? Let me know what you guys think. Is it worth it? I was quoted about $280 for all the work. And about 1 week turn around.....

Post subject: re: Is it worth it? Custom SX3 Work. Angle Porting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I would suggest that you not port/angle port any shotgun! There is more downside than up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I sure wouldn't, in fact they couldn't pay me $280 for the work. Learn the gun, shoot it only and any problems you think it might have, will go away.

Now, if the trigger has something like an 8# pull, or is rough, I might consider taking it back to no less than 4#, more like 4.5#.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:18 pm 

Welcome to SGW. I like TexasTon, would not have any of the work done on any of my auto's. The SX2/SX3's have a pretty decent trrigger right out of the box. Then again I don't notice the trigger pull of a shotgun like I do a rifle.

If you are having cycling issues then the action polishing might be worth while. If not I would just leave it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree....in 98 I bought an Ballistics (angle port) see-what-I'm-saying 390 package...the works. I still have it, its still a great gun, and would have great gun for a lot less if I just bought one stock.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 am 
Diamond Grade

cf7go - if you like journeys, then go ahead.

Personally, spend the money with a good instructor that communicates well with you (you might have to try several).

Just for B.S. went to skeet range yesterday to verify my previous follies of purchasing chokes, ammo, etc. @ station #4:

Here was the verification - from a 12ga. .740 bore (mic'd), using flush Winchester factory chokes (inv.+), Winchester factory upgraded chokes (Winchester Signature) Extended, and Wilson Precision Extended Ported using the following ammo (AA 9's @ 1 1/8 oz., @ 1200fps., Kemen 8's @ 1 oz., @ 1210fps., Remington Shur Shot 8's @ 1 1/8 oz., @ 1250 fps.) - could not tell any difference in performance or the breaks using cylinder, skeet and imp. cylinder a little bit better breaks (but missed a few more). :lol: