It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heads Up on the New SBE3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Good luck! You are [b]far[/b] from alone with this issue and with all the SBE3 that have gone back and are going back, Benelli USA is well aware of it.

Of course, the good folks at Benelli USA didn't design or test this, it was a genius in Italy that really stuffed it up. They are just stuck playing the hand they are dealt. Right now, it is a spectacular bust. It will get a lot worse, when some folks actually start patterning their guns.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:47 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Right now, it is a spectacular bust.

Randy's right, my SBE3 is a "spectacular bust", spectacular at busting clays that is.... :lol:

I couldn't help myself...... {CR8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
Field Grade

Ruger12 wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Right now, it is a spectacular bust.

Randy's right, my SBE3 is a "spectacular bust", spectacular at busting clays that is.... :lol:

I couldn't help myself...... {CR8

Lol, I took mine and shot 10 rounds of 5 stand and did really good, but only after I figured out I need to aim low. I really hope they can fix this problem, because I absolutely love everything else about the gun. Especially the loading port.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hate having to aim both in front of and below the target...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 am 
Limited Edition

When I was young adult, that was a while ago, it was common knowledge in my circle that when it came to cars, guns, and other large purchases of anything mechanical (most didn't have the disposable income buy very many guns) , one should not buy a first year new model until the bugs get worked out. When the SBE 3 came out I went and replaced my SBE 2 I sold a couple years ago with another 2 at a nice price. I'm sure benelli will get all this worked out and best of luck to those who bought the SBE3, but right now I'm glad that buying practice stuck with me. There are a couple first year model cars I'm glad I didn't buy as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:51 am 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:

Apparently you haven't shot Sporting Clays......... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Double post.

Last edited by lossking on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VHart51 wrote:
lossking wrote:

Apparently you haven't shot Sporting Clays......... :lol:

Several times, and 5 stand many times. But having to lead a target that's dropping isn't the same as having to float a target.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am 
Field Grade

Davy Crockett wrote:
When I was young adult, that was a while ago, it was common knowledge in my circle that when it came to cars, guns, and other large purchases of anything mechanical (most didn't have the disposable income buy very many guns) , one should not buy a first year new model until the bugs get worked out. When the SBE 3 came out I went and replaced my SBE 2 I sold a couple years ago with another 2 at a nice price. I'm sure benelli will get all this worked out and best of luck to those who bought the SBE3, but right now I'm glad that buying practice stuck with me. There are a couple first year model cars I'm glad I didn't buy as well.

I'm an engineer by trade and have always been the same way, some reason a gun never stood out to me to have a first run issue like this, I guess they just seem so basic, I didn't expect it.

Just tracked my gun, and it was delivered to Benelli about 30 minutes ago. I was told 5-7 day turn around, I'm really curious to see what is done and get it back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Good luck! You are [b]far[/b] from alone with this issue and with all the SBE3 that have gone back and are going back, Benelli USA is well aware of it.

Of course, the good folks at Benelli USA didn't design or test this, it was a genius in Italy that really stuffed it up. They are just stuck playing the hand they are dealt. Right now, it is a spectacular bust. It will get a lot worse, when some folks actually start patterning their guns.

Let's say they come back and they won't fix it or admit something is wrong, what would be a good waterfowl gun that you would recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 pm 
Limited Edition

You can add a rib for $150

Know where your barrel is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Crossing shot wrote:

You can also subtract an SBE3 for $1800.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am 
Field Grade

Just talked to benelli, they put a bigger front sight bead on and said that brought it into spec, I told them it's not good enough, they said they will try and debarrell, but don't have one in stock, so they will send my gun back and contact me once they have one, then I will send my gun back. They gave me other options, but that was the best fit for me. I will say they were really nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I can vow for a little bigger bead working. I put a hiviz on both my SBE3 and my brothers sbe2 and it brought it down, plus placing with the shims too to see how each one works found the right fit for both of us and we are shooting great at trap with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 am 
Field Grade

Clearwater81 wrote:
I can vow for a little bigger bead working. I put a hiviz on both my SBE3 and my brothers sbe2 and it brought it down, plus placing with the shims too to see how each one works found the right fit for both of us and we are shooting great at trap with them.

I agree a bigger bead will bring it down a little, but that is just a bandaid, not an actual fix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

Crossing shot wrote:

Or trade if for a Beretta.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

A shotgun that is off 8 inches at 20 yards has about 40 MOA of error built right in. To claim that this is "within tolerance" or within specifications is just saying there is no spec other than what falls out of the machine. That level of slop is considered worthless in a cheap air rifle.

When you put on optic on any firearm like this, for slug or turkey use, why would anyone be surprised when your scope doesn't have enough adjustment to get you on target?

Is the bead fix a golf ball? You'd need an 80 MOA bead to get it to shoot to point of aim.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Law57 wrote:
I patterned my new Vinci - at 21yds the pattern was high and left. The bottom of the pattern touched the top of the 5" circle. An established shooter and gun man on the site told me I should pattern at 40 yards with a full choke. The gun only comes with a modified tube - so I ordered a Carlson full tube.

I pattered the gun with the full choke at 40 yards - again - nearly 100/0 and left. I would say the pattern was a least 1 ft high of center.

I filled out a Benelli repair request. We'll see what they do about this. I hope they can fix it. I really like the gun - light and fits me very well. I'll keep you posted.

Okay - I got the Vinci back from Benelli. It took nearly 7 weeks - but they said it would take 6 weeks so that's fine with me. I had to pay for shipping to them - over $30. they patterned the gun at 21 yards and said it was within specs. I didn't take a picture of the target they returned to me - I may edit this post with that picture later. I'll say the center of the pattern is 6" high at 21 yards. But the pattern is about 95/5. And at 40 yards the center of the pattern is at least 1 foot high of POA. I do have a picture of a 41 yd pattern. I don't know if I can download it or not - I'll try.

I shot the gun a couple of days ago - you definitely have to hold low to break a bird from the 16 yard line. I hate to think how low I'd have to hold from handicap distance - for my team, 22 yards.

I really like the Vinci - it's light but there's virtually no recoil. Wonderful for a man my age. Someone said they are considered ugly. But to me, form follows function. The gun shoots for me. I intend to keep it. I'll go the VooDoo barrel bending route this winter to see if the POA improves. To me a gun should shoot target where you shoot. If the pattern was centered 8" high at 40 yards I'd be happy. I want to put the bead on a straight-away target and break it. Now if I do that I miss - I have to shoot a foot low.

Yes - I'm disappointed with Benelli. I won't recommend them to anyone else. But the Vinci has some things about it that I really like and I will keep it and attempt to make it shoot where I want it to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a market for used Benilli Vincis. Trap shooters do not like the short barrels.

Know where your barrel is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 pm 
Field Grade

The search for felt recoil reduction began with the SBEII and appears to have gone extreme with the SBEIII, to the point cause and effect engineering was apparently neglected and problematic issues have surfaced.

I suspect Benelli was receiving an earful from consumers about the "kick" of these weapons especially the first SBE models when shooting 3 1/2" loads in them.

Bottom line, as others have stated, light weight and inertia cycling actions are felt recoil machines. IMO, either deal with it, get a heavier shotgun, different cycling action or take up golf.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next