It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PROCEDURES FOR CLEANING THE RECOIL ASSEMBLY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Big thanks to Benelli3.5 for providing the info.

PROCEDURES FOR CLEANING THE RECOIL ASSBY ON BENELLI SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN

APPLICABLE MODELS: BLACK EAGLE, SUPER BLACK EAGLE, MONTEFELTRO (12ga & 20ga) AND M1 SUPER 90

TOOLS NEEDED: 17mm WRENCH, 13MM DEEP SOCKET & RATCHET, #2 PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER, HEAT GUN , PADDED JAW VISE, 270 LOCTITE.

NOTE: ALL THREADED CONNECTIONS ARE RIGHT HAND THREAD

1. CHECK THAT THE FIREARM IS UNLOADED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

2. REMOVE THE RECOIL PAD SCREWS (ILL. 1) AND THE RECOIL PAD (ILL. 2) USING THE PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER. (TIP: LUBRICATING THE SCREWDRIVER TIP WITH GUN OIL OR HAND LOTION WILL PREVENT TEARING AROUND THE SCREW HOLES IN THE PAD.)

3. REMOVE THE STOCK RETAINING NUT (ILL. 4) USING THE 13mm DEEP SOCKET

4. SLIDE STOCK ASSEMBLY (ILL. 3) OFF OF THE RECOIL TUBE (ILL. 8) BE CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE LOCKWASHER (ILL. 5) OR THE LOCKING PLATE (ILL. 6) NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE LOCKING PLATE BEFORE REMOVAL.

5. WHILE HOLDING THE RECEIVER IN A SOFT JAW VISE USE A HEAT GUN TO HEAT THE END OF THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8) WHERE THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW (ILL. 7) THREADS INTO THE TUBE. THIS AREA NEEDS TO BE HEATED TO APPROXIMATELY 250 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT TO DISSOLVE THE LOCTITE. AS SOON AS THE TUBE HAS REACHED THE REQUIRED TEMPERATURE PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO THE STEP 6.

6. USING THE 17mm WRENCH ON THE FLATS OF THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW (ILL. 7) UNSCREW THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW. NOTE: EARLY PRODUCTION GUNS DID NOT HAVE FLATS CUT ON THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW, IT IS NECESSARY TO USE EITHER VISE GRIP PLIERS OR A PAIR OFJAM NUTS TO REMOVE THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW. WITH THESE GUNS IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE NEW STYLE SCREW BE INSTALLED WHEN REASSEMBLING (PART# 60426) CAUTION: THE RECOIL SPRING (ILL. 9) IS UNDER PRESSURE EXERCISE CARE WHEN REMOVING THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW TO PREVENT INJURY OR LOSS OF PARTS.

7. REMOVE THE RECOIL SPRING (ILL. 9) AND THE RECOIL SPRING PLUNGER (ILL. 10) FROM THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8)

8. CLEAN, INSPECT AND LUBRICATE THE RECOIL SPRING (ILL. 9), RECOIL SPRING PLUNGER (ILL. 10) AND RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8). THE RECOIL SPRING PLUNGER ASSBY IS ASSEMBLED AT THE FACTORY WITH LOCTITE AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE TAKEN APART FOR ROUTINE CLEANING, IF THE PLUNGER ASSEMBLY IS COMING UNSCREWED CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT.

9. THOROUGHLY CLEAN ALL OIL AND OLD LOCTITE FROM THE THREADS OF THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8) AND THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW (ILL. 7) WITH A WIRE BRUSH AND A NON RESIDUE SOLVENT.

10. INSTALL THE RECOIL SPRING (ILL. 9) AND THE RECOIL SPRING PLUNGER (ILL. 10) INTO THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8)

11. APPLY 270 LOCTITE TO THE THREADS OF THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE (ILL. 8) AND USING THE 17mm WRENCH INSTALL THE STOCK RETAINING NUT SCREW (ILL. 7)

12. INSERT THE LOCKING PLATE (ILL. 6) INTO STOCK ASSEMBLY (ILL. 3) AND SLIDE THE STOCK ASSEMBLY ONTO THE RECOIL SPRING TUBE. NOTE: MAKE SURE THAT THE LOCKING PLATE IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY, INCORRECT INSTALLATION CAN CAUSE THE STOCK TO CRACK.

13. INSTALL THE LOCKWASHER (ILL. 5), THE STOCK RETAINING NUT (ILL. 4) USING THE 13mm DEEP SOCKET.

14. INSTALL THE RECOIL PAD SCREWS (ILL. 1) AND THE RECOIL PAD (ILL. 2) USING THE PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER. (TIP: LUBRICATING THE SCREWDRIVER TIP WITH GUN OIL OR HAND LOTION WILL PREVENT TEARING AROUND THE SCREW HOLES IN THE PAD.)

IF ANY PROBLEMS ARE ENCOUNTERED FEEL FREE TO CALL OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AT (410) 957-4500

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

Last edited by Rick618 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PROCEDURES FOR CLEANING THE RECOIL ASSEMBLY
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:04 pm 
Global Moderator

OK, for anyone that hasn't done this before and I have done this a couple of times swapping the factory parts out to Sure Cycle on several different guns....the heat is a big help! You can twist the alloy receiver if you aren't careful. A sharp tap is better than a steady pull to break Locktite.

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

:D

John 3:16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is a "heat gun" and how do you know when you've reached 250 degrees? That's the part that spooks me a little.
I assume you only apply a very light coat of oil to the spring, tube, and plunger?
How often is it suggested that this be done? Is it more of a time related thing or number of rounds or both? What about replacing the spring? Does Wolf or anyone else make an aftermarket spring? I haven't noticed factory springs listed anywhere, although I haven't searched for them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:03 am 
Global Moderator

Not sure how that got by, but a heat gun is actually a souped up hair dryer, mainly used to strip paint. A torch is also ok, just be careful!!!

Light coat of oil as close to none as possible. The more lube the more crap it collects.

Should be cleaned as needed.....I hunt in a woody area and always get bits of bark and trash in the gun and that ends up in the spring area. If it gets wet, from splashing or rain, clean it. In AR, there is a lot of airborne dust, you feel gritty after a morning hunting, its a good idea to clean it when the action becomes sluggish or you notice that the bolt isnt rotating 100%.
The springs are listed in Brownells, although mine are aftermarket through surecycle. After 4+ years I just changed it. The new spring is about an 1-1/2" longer than the old one, sent no charge by SRM!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just did this on my Monte. I used a butane torch for the heat job. Not enough to change the metal's color but enough to make it VASTLY easier to remove the end cap.

Sean
:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

It should be noted that the newer models now utilize a nylon washer, and do not use loc-tite.
Heating the nut will melt the nylon and render it useless.

Check your parts list before applying heat!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:08 am 
Utility Grade

Do you clean the M2 the same way as described here?

Post subject: re: PROCEDURES FOR CLEANING THE RECOIL ASSEMBLY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Sure Cycle Stainless Recoil assembly in my 8 year old SBE. Brownells sells them and they're well worth it. I don't neglect my shotguns, but it gives me a good piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about the recoil system causing problems any more. Stainless spring, housing tube, and plunger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

How often does the recoil assembly need to be cleaned? For example I have a SBE II that I got last October...I pretty much do a basic clean after every other hunt or shoot (unless it was raining or really muddy). I've never cleaned the recoil assembly and after reading (some of) the instructions to be honest I don't want to do it.

So my question become how often do I need to get it cleaned because when I do I'm just going to take it to a pro to get it done.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 am 
Field Grade

Does this apply to the SS, also?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Simple very Simple I did it and changed shims in 15 minutes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Last year my 20ga Monte wasn't cycling like it had in the past despite my cleaning the heck out of the "front" end. I read somewhere the recoil spring should be replaced occaisonally. I bought one from Brownell's and took mine apart. The recoil area was filty and the new spring was 2"+ longer than the old one. Put it back together and hunted all of last year with no problems regardless of how cold it got.
Just like anything mechanical they need replacements once in a while.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:54 am 
Utility Grade

Is it anyone here who knows if the stock retaining nut is glued to the recoil spring tube with Loctite on the M2? I’ve heard that there is a nylon washer there, and that heat will damage it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you shoot trap you could be putting 2000+ rounds a month through your guns and you can be surprised how much and where gun powder residue can get. I recently bought an M2 and I will do that probably every 2 months, but I clean my guns that get shoot regularly every month or 1000 rounds which ever comes first. That is probably overkill but fore some reason I have come to enjoy cleaning :w I guess it's the feeling of a job well done :?:

Benelli Super Nova MAX4HD 28" 12ga
Remington 870 super mag turkey camo w/ scope 12ga
Benelli M2 MAX4HD 28" 12ga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:18 pm 
Field Grade

I have a SBE that I purchased new in 1997. In hunting ducks through the years I have dunked my gun at least 10 times and hunted in the rain multiple times each season. One time I even had to use the gun, buttstock down, to be able to free myself from some soft mud in waist-deep water. I initially did not worry about the recoil spring, mainly because I did not want to go to the trouble of heating it up to get the end piece off (I had tried a couple times).

It was a mistake to not check out the recoil spring. The gun still performed just fine after 6 seasons, but my dad's SBE (3 years older than mine) developed a problem cycling and found his recoil spring had broken. He decided to go to the Sure-cycle and I decided to put one in mine at the same time. I have never regretted it. During the installation by my gunsmith I found the original recoil tube and spring to be a rusty mess. With the Sure-cycle, I now inspect and clean the recoil assembly at the end of the hunting season or even mid-season if I dunk the gun. I have never put loctite on the threaded end plug and have never had a problem. To me, the Sure-cycle is peace of mind that even if it gets wet things will dry out and work well. It takes me more time the get organized and gather up the needed tools than it does to remove the pad, remove the stock and clean the recoil spring.

Franchi 720 20 ga

Last edited by crusher61 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 pm 
Field Grade

The 1100 has the same type of "recoil spring tube in the buttstock" setup like most Benellis. I owned an 1100 magnum. It was a good gun for it's day. I think it is old technology. Mine would jam if it was cold, foggy or, certainly, if it rained or snowed. I've never cleaned a gun as often and thoroughly as that gun. I traded it in towards my SBE. I'll take the Benelli any day. It works no matter the weather or temperature. It is also lighter. And it is much easier to take apart and clean than an 1100, in my opinion.

Franchi 720 20 ga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm 
Field Grade

Have you ever seen someone field strip a Benelli? Remove the bolt handle, unscrew the magazine cap and it is apart. It is the simplest action of any semi-auto. No action bars, o-rings, or stuff on the magazine tube.

The recoil spring assembly is now corrosion free on the SBE2. I am a duck hunter and my gun has been dunked more times that I would care to admit, often in graceful fashion. If not for that I would not even worry about that action spring. I check mine at the end of the season, unless I happen to really submerge the gun and I feel the need to take the stock off.

Franchi 720 20 ga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is there a video on this ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 pm 
Utility Grade

too much info, thanks guys