It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wolff Gun Spring
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:53 am 

I thought I would post some findings on the Wolff 25% extra power (XP) recoil spring for the Benelli SBE's and M1/M2 in case someone else has been thinking of buying one.

I installed one in my SBE turkey model because it will mainly see heavy loads. I also wanted a little extra protection against the bolt accidentally coming out of battery.

I used my digital trigger scale to measure the force to pull the bolt with both the factory and wolff springs. I pulled them back just short of the bottom out point and minus the trigger group. I did a three pull average for each one. The factory was about 8.5 lbs and the Wolff was right about 11 lbs. The weight increased by just over a pound when the bolt was fully forward and locked when pulling the bolt back. The Wolff spring is two inches longer than the factory spring. The gun only has a few hundred rounds through it. Broken in but, not wore out.

In the field my SBE has been the best one out of about six other SBE's I have experince with as far as cycling lighter loads. It would cycle a 1 oz load at 1,290 fps (Remington Game Load) about 75% of the time. With the Wolff spring I'm down to around 50% of the time with these loads. The bolt would slam back pretty hard with 3 1/2" at 1,300 fps with 2 oz of shot. It's not so noticeable with the Wolff spring installed.

They also make a 25% less power (LP) spring for using light loads. It's not for use with heavier loads and the bolt will more than likely come out of battery accidentally with this spring. I don't have any intentions to use one and I would not want to have to change out stock mounted recoil springs for cycling different loads.

The install was easy and fast since I've already had more than one Benelli recoil assembly apart in the past. The hardest part was breaking loose the recoil spring retainer plug as always. About thirty seconds with a torch was all it took to melt the thread locker. I also cleaned the threads with a wire brush. I then cleaned the inside of the recoil tube and follower. I wiped off the new spring and lightly lubed it with some FP-10. I re-assembled and did not use a thread locker on the threads. This will make future recoil assembly cleanings much easier.

If you plan to use mosltly heavy loads and want extra help keeping the bolt locked, I recommend this upgrade.

Post subject: Re: Wolff Gun Spring
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looks like a prime candidate for a sticky :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Worc,

This is an excellent post! The 25% stronger spring has definitely added so much dependability to my already superb M2 Field. I installed my spring in March of this year...since then I've had 1500+ rounds through the gun & the after market spring. I cant say enough about it! I have not had one FTE/FTC in all the time Ive had it! I was really surprised how well it is still able to cycle light 1oz. trap loads (as long as they are above 1200fps). I shot sporting clays for nearly 3 months straight this summer....I never once had a problem w/ jams or cycling failures, this spring makes the gun a total workhorse.

One thing I really like about the added strength is how tightly the bolt shuts. There is practically no chance of the bolt coming out of battery accidentally (Benelli "Click") and the bolt continues to cycle very quickly even when VERY dirty or has grass/other debris in the action. That extra power doesn't let much slow it down, which is good when youre out hunting...you don't have to worry about little debris accidentally falling in the action & preventing your gun from working. I honestly feel like my M2 is unstopable (barring a catastrophic breakdown)....If youre a waterfowler this Wolf 25% stronger spring was mas made for you and youre Benelli in mind! For $12.99 you can't go wrong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:21 pm 

Thanks guys. It's up to Big Shooter to make it a stcky if he wants.

My SBE will still do the "Beneli Clck" but, it does take more force to make the bolt accidently come out of battery. Tapping the gun down on its stock against the ground still has the bolt coming back and then going back into battery.

I did notice the bolt closing with more speed with the Wolff spring too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:54 am 
Field Grade

I just put one in my SBE1 and my M1 90 20ga. According to Brownell's description of the Wolfe spring is the same spring for the 12 and the 20 ga. I shot the 20ga on Sunday with 3' Kent Faststeel 4's and it cycled perfectly. I did notice the bolt snapped into battery with more authority. I just hope my SBE will do the same with locking into battery with authority on those 10 degree mornings when loading the first shell in goes in in slow motion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

The 9 Benelli's I hunt with in my group have all done the recoil AND mag spring. Huge difference. I have been preaching this for 2 years now. Its the best thing a guy can do to his Benelli. My old M1 worked flawless with cheap 1 oz. loads too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:24 pm 

Its stuck!

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Worc wrote:
Thanks guys. It's up to Big Shooter to make it a stcky if he wants.

My SBE will still do the "Beneli Clck" but, it does take more force to make the bolt accidently come out of battery. Tapping the gun down on its stock against the ground still has the bolt coming back and then going back into battery.

I did notice the bolt closing with more speed with the Wolff spring too.

Worc, I hope I am mis-interpreting some thing here. Are you talking about tapping the butt stock on the ground to close the bolt with a live round in the chamber??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:19 am 
Field Grade

can u link or post of pic of what you are describing? im picking up my m2 field this week and just wondering if i should follow and do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:07 am 
Utility Grade

do all benelli use the same wolf recoil spring? i'm having trouble finding one that is listed for just the M2.

12ga Cordoba, 12ga M2, Maxus Hunter 3", 12ga 870

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bello wrote:
can u link or post of pic of what you are describing? im picking up my m2 field this week and just wondering if i should follow and do the same.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/BENELLI/SUPER%2090%20SERIES%20SHOTGUNS/cID2/mID10/dID32

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I am curious: are these springs the same as the recoil spring in my 'Sport'?

I ask as I am taking my 'Sport' outta the safe about once or twice a year for some fun clays and, when I do I am shooting light loads, 7/8oz and down. Problem is, for several years now, I have been noticing that, after a couple of boxes of ammo, the bolt and carrier start going into "slow motion" and then failing-to-chamber altogether.

I removed the recoil spring and weight for inspection the recoil systemand, no rust or oil residue on either the spring or tube interior, which is mirror bright.

Nearly two decades ago, I was ecstatic to discover, quite by accident, that the recoil spring my 'Sport' left the factory with must be a 'light weight' one as I was having no problems shooting 3/4oz loads, let alone 7/8oz ones (in 1,200-and-up fps department) through it.

It also seems like the problem is exacerbated by cold or damp weather. Does that make sense?

Anyhoo, I have just detail stripped the entire gun (with exceptions of bolt or trigger assembly) for the umpteenth time and I can find nothing contributing to the "slow motion" followed by almost constant FTE and FTFeeds.

Thanks in advance for any assist -- I truly enjoy this guns light weight, ingenious design, and everything but, the FTE's and FTF's are indeed getting frustratng.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I have had great success installing the Wolff recoil springs not only on Benelli's but on Browning Gold's(both 12 &20 ga) with cycling problems
Hope this helps
Chuck

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm 
Field Grade

Newbie here fellas, what exactly is the Wolff spring for and what does it replace??? Can anyone explain it to me in lamest terms? I have a benelli sport II 12 gauge and 90% of the time I shoot 1 oz loads at a min. of 1250 fps all the way to 3050 , but mostly at 1280-90 fps, would putting a Wolff spring make a difference?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm 
Crown Grade

chiniosky wrote:
Newbie here fellas, what exactly is the Wolff spring for and what does it replace??? Can anyone explain it to me in lamest terms? I have a benelli sport II 12 gauge and 90% of the time I shoot 1 oz loads at a min. of 1250 fps all the way to 3050 , but mostly at 1280-90 fps, would putting a Wolff spring make a difference?

1. Wolff springs are replacment gun springs made by, you guessed it, Wollf Gunspring Mfg
2. They replace a long, LONG list of various springs in ALL Makes and types of guns (handguns, rifles,, shotguns, you name it!)
3. As in 3,050fps? :shock:
4. I have installed Wolf springs in a myriad of my handguns (recoil, firing pin, trigger, etc., etc.) but, to date, none of my Benelli spriongs so; I'll let any of the others answer this one for you.
Best o' success!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 pm 
Field Grade

LOL, I meant 1350 fps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:37 pm 
Field Grade

So this fix takes the place of swapping out to a sure cycle?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a spring that will fit the m1/ super black eagle. sold my gun and never opened this one. still new in package will sale for 10 bucks plus shipping. Email me at dlupchurch21@yahoo.com if interested

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I have used many Wolff gunsprings in pistols - CZ and various 1911. Satisfied yes.
Their brief FAQ is worth reading.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would like to relate my experiences in installing the Wolff gun springs.I own seven Benellis.To claim that I like Benellis would be fair statement.I read this thread about the Wolff gun springs and decided my guns would benefit from the installation of these springs.

The first gun I worked on was an SBE with an E.R. Shaw custom slug barrel.I removed the butt stock.I then set the receiver in a Decker gun vice and applied heat with Benzomatic propane torch.It took approximately 20 seconds of heat to melt the adhesive material.I unscrewed the stock retaining nut screw using an 11/16 deep well socket while maintaining forward pressure to prevent the spring from escaping from the recoil spring tube.I used this socket because the stock retaining nut screw,on this particular model, was a six sided screw.I then tipped the gun backward and removed the recoil spring plunger.Before I began the installation, I ran a dry patch on a 20 ga. plastic fingered jag through the spring tube to remove accumulated gunk.I then ran a lightly oiled patch through the spring tube and lubricated the recoil spring plunger and spring before assembly. I followed this same procedure for an M1 12ga.,a Montefeltro 12ga. and a Montefeltro 20ga.I will note that the Montefeltros,maybe because of their age,required three 20 second applications of heat before the stock retaining nut screw could be tapped loose.I would urge caution when applying heat and check after each 20 second application of heat to determine if the adhesive has released.

All went well until I attempted to perform this same procedure with an M1 20 ga. The first difference I noticed was the stock retaining nut screw was bright metal,stainless steel, instead of blue and it had two flat sides instead of the six sided screw on the previous guns.It also had a "U" shaped cutout on the forward edge of one of the flat sides.This indicated this stock retaining nut screw had some plastic material holding the screw in place and it needed no heat to remove.I then used a 17MM open ended wrench to remove the stock retaining screw.This is a newer gun so be careful about applying heat to this stainless steel stock retaining screw. After removal of the spring I noticed that the recoil spring plunger was also stainless steel.I followed the same assembly procedure and all went well.

I have two more guns to do,a SBEII and an M2.I was contemplating using the Sure Cycle system on these two guns,since they will see use around salt and branch water environment ,as well as during foul weather.Since the recoil spring plungers as well as the stock retaining nut screws are stainless steel,I'm not sure it's worth the money.I'll think about this over the week end.

I hope my experiences will help some members with their installations.