It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wolff Gun Spring
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is a follow up on what other upgrades I decided to perform on my Benelli's.I replaced the recoil springs in my SBE2 and M2 with the Wolff springs and used the savings for different upgrades.Since the recoil tubes in the newer SBE2 and M2 are corrosion resistant and the other components are stainless steel,I didn't see the need for the Sure Cycle system.I will also clean the recoil tubes after each season and hopefully negate the necessity for the SS springs.The OEM springs will be kept in reserve in the event of failure of the Wolff springs.

I did decide to replace the magazine components in my SBE2 and M2 with the Sure Cycle system because I detested the OEM plastic magazine follower and limiter plug.The Sure Cycle magazine systems are reasonably priced and the components are top quality.I also was able to use the SS magazine springs, liberated from the SBE2 and M2,in my SBE and M1.So the OEM SS springs didn't go to waste.

I hope this helps other members in their choices for their Benelli's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:52 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and want to install the wolff spring. I also have a problem with my bolt hanging up when I ease the bolt closed. I have an old M1 super 90 12 ga that has servrd me for years, but recently let me down on a waterfowling trip. My newer M2 bolt will not hang up when I ease the bolt closed. Something is causing the bolt to "catch" slightly and this is where the failute to feed the next shell seems to be hapening. Do I need a new trigger assembly, and If so will the newer triangular safety model trigger assembly work in the older M1? I have the gun dissassembled thanks to info recieved on this site, so any help you guys could give would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Please lend me some clarification from those with more knowledge than I!

Am lucky enough to own a number of Benelli's (M1's, M2's and Monte's). I do not have the Wolf spring installed in any and all cycle every load I put in them (lucky I suppose).

I get the idea of the extra power recoil spring on gas guns and recoil guns but wouldn't it be true to say that a Benelli does not have a recoil spring being inertia operated?

From the sixth paragraph of Chuck Hawk's article: http://www.chuckhawks.com/benelli_inertia_action.htm
"...The bolt head spring gets full compression regardless of the load fired (as long as the recoil force is heavy enough to fully load the inertia spring). As a result, bolt speed is not varied by the load; it is driven only by the spring. This means that the floating bolt body is propelled backwards at a constant speed controlled by the spring (inertia, my clarification). Hotter loads will not punish the floating bolt body or the back of the action. No struts or links to stress and no possibility of peening the back of the receiver with heavy loads...."

This jives with my understanding of how a Benelli works. As such the "recoil spring" in a Benelli is really a bolt closure spring and NOT a recoil spring?

This would also jive with people on forums saying "a Benelli kicks harder because it fires like a fixed breech".

So am I right in saying that the ONLY benefits of the Wolff extra power 25% in a Benelli is that it holds the bolt closed ~25% tighter and returns the bolt to battery ~25% quicker and that you need ~25% more shock to make sure the inertia spring is charged upon firing? There is no risk of "peening" the back of the receiver as it can't happen according to the above.

On the opposite a -25% power should help cycle light loads as there is less total force for the inertia spring to overcome, but still the same Mass to overcome of the bolt to drive it backwards????

AM a bit confused but I think I have it? Just not sure I see a "recoil" benefit.

Thanks,

Rocked

Edited to add link

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You are correct, they aren't actually recoil springs, probably best called action springs.

I have maintained and used several SBE's and own a Benelli SS. I haven't had a problem with any of them cycling any ammo that they were designed for, but many folks have.

I do understand a guy sitting in a blind and resting the gun and having the bolt come out of battery, I have seen it happen and had it happen to me a couple of times. I never thought it was that big of a deal and I didn't like the trade offs of installing a heavier spring.

However, for my employer, I have replaced the action spring and follower with the Sure Cycle on his SBE and thought it was a joke, it created more problems than it solved, especially with 3 1/2" ammo. We went back to the standard Benelli parts but used a Wolf spring in it, and the shotgun works well with no problems. He used his SBE for 3" and 3 1/2" Steel and 1 1/8 oz. lead loads.

IMO Wolf Springs YES.......Sure Cycle NO.

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple, stupid - The first rule of shotshell reloading.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 am 
Tournament Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
I do understand a guy sitting in a blind and resting the gun and having the bolt come out of battery, I have seen it happen and had it happen to me a couple of times. I never thought it was that big of a deal and I didn't like the trade offs of installing a heavier spring.

Hell that's half the fun of hunting with my buddy when he has a Benelli in the blind. He gets out of the blind to pee and I can't help but reach over and pull the operating handle down about a 1/4 inch!

I get the first shot and a good laugh listening to him cuss me as he tries to bend the trigger!!!

Course with me also shooting a Benelli I have to check battery every five minutes after I do it!

RockedEm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 am 
Field Grade

Can you put the wolf springs in a sure cycle system?? By that I mean swap out the sure cycle spring with a wolf spring?? Are they the same diameter????

I have a sure cycle on my SBE, but I was thinking of picking up a wolf spring as backup in case I ever have problems. It was be great if it just dropped in the sure cycle tube. However, I know I have the original factory spring and tube put up somewhere, I just gotta find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Just put all Wolff springs offered in my new SBE II and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. LOVE IT,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just went the other way last month on my gen1 monte 20ga.

Mostly use for clays and upland and could not get it to cycle fully 100% with 3/4oz reloads.

Just couldnt generate enough recoil even at 1300fps to cycle apositively.

Installed the lighter wolff spring and voila....not a single issue now in a couple hundred 3/4oz skeet loads.

Rockedem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
Field Grade

Do all Wolff springs fit all models. I went to their site and only found one spring. Might have not been looking in the right spot. I have a SBEII and it listed a super 90. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 am 
Limited Edition

Sent an e-mail to Wolff, they do not have a recoil spring for the SS.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

I installed a xtra power spring in my new M2 20 gauge. It handles the 3 inch loads great but will not even eject dove loads. Is this normal?

Gun has less than 10 rounds shot through it so it may just need to be broken in.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Boa3 wrote:
Do all Wolff springs fit all models. I went to their site and only found one spring. Might have not been looking in the right spot. I have a SBEII and it listed a super 90. Thanks

I cannot attest to all, but I have a 20ga Monte (new style youth), 12ga M2 and 12ga SBEII and a 20ga Monte Super90.

The springs interchange between all of them without affecting operation.

In fact the bolts also interchange between the 20ga Monte (new style) and 20ga Monte Super 90 (old style).

egraham wrote:
I installed a xtra power spring in my new M2 20 gauge. It handles the 3 inch loads great but will not even eject dove loads. Is this normal?

Gun has less than 10 rounds shot through it so it may just need to be broken in.

I would say that sounds about what the extra power spring would do in my 20ga Monte's. With the stock spring it cycled all 7/8oz and 1oz+3" without fail but would not reliably cycle 3/4oz hand loads. I moved to the 10% less power spring and now it cycles everything reliably.

Remember, you don't have to worry about peening the receiver on a Benelli. During the initial firing the rotating bolt lock is still closed. The inertia spring compresses and THAT is what cycles the bolt at a static speed.

Other than if you are going to shoot ALL magnum loads that will FULLY charge the inertia spring, I can't see the 10%+ power spring helping. In fact I would think it makes the gun less reliable with lower power rounds.

RockedEm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 am 
Field Grade

Interesting coincidence. Yesterday I was cleaning out a "gun-stuff" drawer and ran across an un-opened Wolff Spring I bought for my M1 Super 90 12...

Part 16096 25% reduced power. Bought for sporting clays in summer, guess I did not need. No long shoot the 90, so...who wants for mailing costs?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought my sbe2 about 3 1/2 years ago just for clays maybe 2-3000 rnds through it. I shoot all off the shelf 1 1/8oz target load what ever is on sale. just this year after a good cleaning its decieded it will cylce 1oz 1290 fps which is nice. Ive never had the recoil tube apart am i just lucky that my gun cycles light loads or am I missing something? Again being a clay gun im not sure if id want to or need to change springs. But see on here its a popular subject, am i missing out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Deleted.

Last edited by ScatterCreek on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Put a set of Wolff 25% extra power springs in my 12 gauge M-2 about six weeks ago - I've used it several times with 2-3/4" and 3" steel waterfowl loads in near freezing weather and with 3" lead turkey loads (to test) - works perfectly. Great upgrade for a heavy duty hunting shotgun. OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought the new M2 back in July and experienced 2 or 3 clicks out of 300 rounds recently. Will the Wolff Spring with 25% Extra power help it not from happening again?