It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

I own m2 in 20g and 12g. Absolutely love them. Interested in buying legacy 28g next. Any feed back?? Or thoughts??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Been thinking about an M2 w/ a 24" barrel as a general field gun and for use for recreational sporting clays (not a serious competitor). Also want to be able to use for turkey hunting with an Indian Creek/ Black Diamond Strike choke. My current turkey gun is a Rem 870 with the same IC/BDS choke and with 3" Heavy Metal shells it is a real turkey slayer. Anyone have any experience with the M2 and IC/BDS choke system for turkeys? What shells pattern the best? Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone have experience shooting the M2 with an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike turkey choke? If yes, what shells have you found pattern the best? Thinking about getting an M2 for recreational (definitely not competitive) sporting clays, but also to use as a turkey gun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:32 am 
Field Grade

I recently purchased a 24" M2 Advantage Timber for general field use. My previous general use gun was an 870 express synthetic. A real beater. My intention was to use the M2 for turkey, ducks, upland (for guests, I shoot 20ga O/U) and "maybe" slugs for deer if I can find a slug that shoots consistently well out of the smooth bore. I shoot alot of trap with my Browning XT, and here is the part that surprises me... I shoot the M2 24" almost as well as I shoot my XT with 32" barrels. My scores are typically the same or one clay less with the M2 (23's and 24's). I actually prefer the feel of the M2 over my trap gun and reach for it more, somehow I'm having more fun shooting it. I have nothing but praise for this gun so far, it cycles my 1 1/8 #8 1200fps trap loads just fine, feels absolutely telepathic in my hands, and has been 100% reliable so far. I smile every time I look at it.

rob p ---- I bought a Kicks .665 Gobblin Thunder for mine, but haven't patterned it yet. Hope to do that this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Let me know how it patterns. The Indian Creek choke I was shooting on my Rem 870 with a 3" Hevi-shot #6-shot shell was putting about 14-15 pellets into a turkey head sized circle at 45 yds. Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Do any of y'all know where I can get a comfortech stock? I have m2 American and I love the gun but want a comfortech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

I just bought a Benelli SBE for waterfowl 3" and 3.5". Lighting off the 3.5" the gun pretty much jumps off my shoulder and I have to catch it in the air.
So rather than put in a dead mule or a Mercury filled reducer I temp'd on a Graco Recoil reducer thinking the gun would possibly not cycle. But much to my surprise it DID in fact cycle all mixed rounds from 2 3/4" 7/8 oz loads thru 3.5" and back again. Never a hiccup, yet.
I ordered one and will see-its adjustable from about lockdown to light light loads, alum and nylon so we'll put 500 rounds thru it and report.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got an M2 again after having several before and two M4's and a Versamax.

I got mine customized for competition at Taran Tactical...

It's wonderful..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Picked up an M2 (full APG camo, 24" barrel) and an Indian Creek Black Diamond turkey choke for birthday. Can't wait for Spring season.

Was a REALLY tough gun to find in FL; no go at any instate BPS or Gander Mountain. Finally ordered online thru EuroOptic in PA and shipped to local FFL; simple. EO is a real first rate outfit with a great lineup of guns. Highly recommend.

Wife thinks it is mainly for sporting clay shooting; but it hasn't occurred to her, why then the full camo finish? Oh well, what they don't know....

UPDATE: Finally got the chance to pattern the M2/turkey choke this weekend with a 3"/2 oz/6 shot Hevi-shot load. 25 pellets in a 3" circle at 40 yards - should be a real turkey killer. Going to try it for real in MS in March. In the mean time the gun performed flawless on a sporting clay range.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 am 
Utility Grade

Had shot a m1 tac a long time ago. very impressed with its ergos. Moderate recoil I thought.
Got the m2 tac. now . hope to shoot it some soon. seems like very little recoil compared to 870
and moss 500 and ichica 37.

t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a M2 field in January and have had nothing but failure to feeds. It seems like something is out of time. I fire the first shot and it ejects and leaves the bolt open with the second shell slightly stuck in the magazine tube. I have tried about every type of 3 dram 1 1/8 shells but to no avail. On its way back to Benelli. Hope they fix it right because i love the way it shoots.

Update: Benelli sent me an RA number. I told them there is no way I am paying to send back a gun that is less than 2 months old. They then sent me a prepaid label. Now it is supposed to be 10 weeks until I get it back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:04 am 
Field Grade

This is my new M2 Tactical. Patterned it with #8s and number-one buck. Fifteen-inch circle at 15 yards w/ IC choke for the buckshot (pic shows three buck loads, or 48 pellets). Then shot wobble trap w/ 1 1/8oz #8. Trying to not look thru the ghost-ring sights shooting clays was a bit of a challenge. lol After over 80 rounds, no malfs yet. Recoil is not bad given the "standard" stock! Clean-up is a snap! Sweet gun IMHO. Good luck and good shooting. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Great review man. I've been thinking about one too in in 20ga. I currently us us 26", 20ga 1187 for upland an super Vinci for everything else. . Thinking about selling the Versa Max and 1187 for the M2.
Nothing wrong with either gun, but I like my Super Vinci more than everything else. I just thought if the M2 is anything like the Super Vinci then it should be a home run.
The other question is the price. $1700 after tax here in Canada

13 Remington XCR2 270
13 Remington Versa Max waterfowel Realtree apg
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Remington 11-87 20ga Sportsman Deer/combo
94 ruger 10/22 stainlessj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:24 am 
Field Grade

I have a M2 28" i use for sporting clays, has a Taran Tactical reduced recoil spring set, Recoil, hammer and trigger, is fantastic got the C shim and the B shim to get the drop i wanted.. i love it, cycles every 7/8 load i have put in it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Was perusing the local emporium and came across a M2 with a 21in barrel---pick it up and mount/swing it a few times-----what a sweet little unit.

Look at the tag and its priced to sell---this is NIB with hard case and all the accessories. So for a penny under $1100 I have a new M2 on lay-a-way-----should be able to get it out by pheasant season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 am 
Field Grade

Barry2 wrote:
Well the review in the original post has cost a significant amount of money.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up my new 28" M2 a couple of weeks ago. It is my Trap gun, which I know will strike many as an odd misuse of a fine field gun. But I have my reasons and so far it has proven to be wonderful. The recoil does not seem any more bothersome than that of the eight and a half pounder it replaces. Adding a Birchwood Casey shell catcher takes care of the flying empties problem, and swapping over the raised comb insert and longer recoil pad from my Supernova, along with maximum shim drop and cast, makes it fit very well. So far I only have a bit over 200 rounds through it. I've shot both high velocity and low recoil shells - all 1 1/8oz. - and the only difference is the amount recoil, as you would expect. Most of my past shooting has been with either fixed or locked breach guns, my Supernova, a friend's Remington 870, and another friend's O/U. My semi-auto experience has been limited to a Remington 1100, a Browning A5, and now my M2. Although I've shot it a lot, the 1100 doesn't fit me well and has a hard butt plate, which makes this otherwise soft shooting gun uncomfortable. The A5, though an inertia gun similar to the M2, has a much harsher feeling recoil, which might be due to the recoil pad material or just the dynamics of the gun, I don't know for sure. But the M2 is just right. It is light, but not too light, well balanced, and a delight to shoot. I would expect the recoil to be noticeably worse than my Supernova, and that might true, but the period of recoil seems to be spread out by the reciprocating action to the extent that the perceived effects are less abrupt than the Supernova. This is what I was hoping for.