It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:57 am 
Field Grade

LazyEngineer wrote:
SxS, I'd be surprised if you couldn't - but according to the salesman at Gander Mnt the barrels are very expensive and you might as well just buy the seperate gun.

I'm interested in a combination tactical and trap/skeet gun. Beginning in 2005, the M2 comes in a tactical version with an 18.5 inch barrel (part # 11027, MSRP $1135, meaning the street price will probably settle around $1000 too). And the extra barrel is not all that expensive. For example, the 28" barrel (part # 81250) is MSRP $380, considerably less than a separate gun. Unless you want to buy a cheap pump gun as in the other barrel length, which is not a fair comparison to the M2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

jck2 wrote:
I've got a Rem 1100 that needs to rest.
I'm in the market for an autoloader and...you guessed it...Benelli wins. It's down to the super black 2 and the M2. I don't think I need the 3.5" of the super black 2 and I've heard a few horror stories on the super black 2 so I'm leaning heavily toward the M2. I've shot the M1 and loved it so I'm sure I'll love the creature comforts of the M2. Most of you folks seem to be purchasing the 26" barrel. I shoot a 28" on the 1100 and planned on sticking with that with the M2. I guess I just like the swing of the gun. Any info on this would be much appreciated. :)
I too am shopping for a gift from my wife. Thank God for generous wives. I'm sure I'll pay for it later but hell, from what I've read, it will be worth it.

Thanks All

Bought my M2 in August of last year. I was actuallly looking at the Montefeltro but the dealer reccomended the M2 instead. Mine is the wood stock version.

I have run close to 3000 rounds through it with out a hitch. All loads ahve been 2 3/4dram 1 1/8 Ounce lead or more with no problem. I have not ried light er loads. It has shot flawlessly so far. I do not baby it and I have had days where it was raining so hard that the dirt and debri that is normal from shooting turned to a black mud in the receiver. But it still did not miss abeat.

I use it for bird hunting, trap, 5-stand and now sproting clays.

I don't think that you will be dissapointed with it.

Mike :D

Judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from poor judgement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the post. I just bought a Montefeltro 12g w/ 28" barrel and I am considering selling my 391 Urika for the m2 w/ confort stock. I can't believe the rate of fire of these Benellis. The only issue I have w/ my Monte is that it does kick. My gun is under 7lbs and is lightning quick so I'll take the recoil for a faster jump on a (clay or live) bird any day.

Keep well, keep happy & keep your head on the stock. - Robert Stack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Great Review, I have M2 21" barrel this gun does everthing I want. Just a great gun!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:15 am 
Field Grade

Hello, thanks for the review. I was wondering, if you look at the rib of the M2 it is very stepped. According to me the gun should shoot high because of that.

Have anyone tested pattering and done any conclusions?! I just bought a Beretta 686 o/u but planning to trade my fathers old Beretta 303 to a Benelli. I dislike when the rib is stepped, but I am curious to know if there really is a difference?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

The rib has no effect on where the POI is. The POI is driven by your eye in relation to the bead, hence the shims to change the pitch of where the receiver meets the stock. On a wood stocked gun this can also be changed with an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:13 am 
Field Grade

Hmm... Well how do you explain the higher ribs on trap guns?? The trap guns are made to shoot higher...?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a new Benelli Cordova and am having the ejected hulls hang up about 30-40% of the time at the Clays course. Have gone from 2 3/4 drams to 3 drams and same thing. Love the handling and feel of the gun but something is wrong and I don't know how to cure it. Am shooting 2 3/4 in 7's and 8. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought an M2 28" Black Synthetic for duck hunting in January. I am very pleased with it. The recoil is moderate but manageable. I like the simplicity of the gun. Paying 400$ more for 3.5" shells wasn't worth it to me. Most of the guys I know with SBE's never shoot the 3.5"s anyway. I want a shorter pad for it and am not happy that Benelli wants 75$ for a piece of rubber.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:41 am 
Limited Edition

I have an M2 black with 26". Have had many auto's inc. SBE, Xtema, 390, 391, 1100, 11-87 and this it my favorite so far. I have patterned lead, steel, hevi, TM, and TI. Very good patterns so far with the factory chokes. My safety is very nice and smooth. The trigger is fantastic for a shotgun. It should make a very good slug gun with the good trigger and the option for the higher comb.

My M2 patterns about 4" high with the bead dead flat on the rib. That's about what I like so I am happy. The high rib has noting to do with it shooting high. Mine just does. Yours may shoot flatter. Trap guns and many sporting clay and skeet guns have high ribs for a more heads up shooting position, but the reason trap guns shoot high is because when the average person looks down the barrel they see the top surface of the rig like long straight road and stacked beads because of the high comb which is what make the gun shoot high by basically raising your head.

I notice very little recoil. much less then the SBE I had and surprisingly not really much more then the Xtrema and other Beretta gas auto's I have. However, I must say the gun fits like it was custom made for me and that goes a long way for recoil. Also despite what some say I think the pad works well and the comb is great with the heavy loads. I think face recoil contact is much more of an issue than shoulder recoil. I do think the stock works with heavy loads but not with light loads. I think it takes the heavy stuff to get the stock to actually flex enough to have a recoil absorbing action. I know the 2 oz. turkey loads recoiled much less that I anticipated and not much more then the heavy 1 3/8 oz. lead hunting loads I tried.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:59 am 
Field Grade

Over here in England Ive just bought a Benelli M2 as well . I paid £809 for it though, which is about $1200 I imagine, so think yourselves lucky :)
Im waiting for sunday to shoot with it, and I cant wait!

Post subject: re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Enjoyed the review and following comments.

I've been shooting my Pop's M2 quite a bit this year and am impressed. The gun points well, is easy to carry all day, and eats up a lot of the bump my 3" steel mag shells produce.

I hunt marshes often for pheasant, as they tend to produce livestock when the ditches do not. Not only is this long hard walking but the birds tend to flush a good ways out. The #4 3" mag loads I use feel light running through this gun. I've long wanted an 11-87 but am giving the M2 some serious thought. Then again why by the cow..............

Now if I can just get my dirty paws on his Cynergy for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thought you'd like to know...
...the patent for the Benelli is No. 4,604,942 and cites the Williams Patent No 2,476,232 - the birth of the inertia system and the Model 50. So it's thanks to Winchester that we can enjoy Benellis!
Nice one, Marsh!

'Carbine' Williams, 1962, talking about the Winchester Model 50.

Post subject: Re: re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Floating Chamber wrote:
Thought you'd like to know...
...the patent for the Benelli is No. 4,604,942 and cites the Williams Patent No 2,476,232 - the birth of the inertia system and the Model 50. So it's thanks to Winchester that we can enjoy Benellis!
Nice one, Marsh!

Hey, I have a model 1911 Winchester auto, (the so called "Widow Maker"), and it reminds me very much of the Benelli action. Granted it is recoil operated, the barrel moves back, but the shell lifter will hold an extra shell, just as the Benelli will. And the recoil is much like my M2, sharp, and quick.

My Benelli Ultra Light at a pound lighter seems to have much less felt recoil for some reason. And the M2 has the Comfortech stock, where the BUL doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ain't that the one with the knurled part on the barrel - so Winchester could get round the Browning patent?

'Carbine' Williams, 1962, talking about the Winchester Model 50.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yup, that is it. Fun to use on a round of skeet now and then. Cyl bore from the factory, which I hear is kind of rare. Very rare in a 28 inch barrel, but this a 26, of course!

Clyde

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm 

Excellent review. I share your sentiments regarding the "felt" recoil and I selected my stallion for the same reason.......I wanted a trim and fast handling autoloader.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I guess I'm not yet a big fan of the Benelli M2. I have a new one that jams frequently. The spent shell ejects from the chamber but when the new one is extracted from the mag it jams before it can be fed into the chamber. Benelli says it needs to be broken in but it has probably had over 200 rounds through it (mostly one at a time) and it's no better. It has been thoroughly cleaned. Any suggestions from anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What type jam? Do you mean the front end of the shell is hitting something before it chambers? Pinched between the rotary bolt head and what? The lifter not bringing it all the way up? Etc.

Are you by any chance running it dry? Lube it up wet and shoot some heavy loads.

And with more than one at a time, unless it is not able to. Wasn't quite sure just why you made that remark. IF it will, it needs to go through the whole operation, or else it is like trying to break in a new car, only using low gear!

If it won't, with reasonably heavy loads, it has a real problem and you need to contact Benelli!

Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:19 pm 
Utility Grade

My reference to "one at a time" was based on the fact that it jams so much it is basically a single shot. I leave a thin coat of oil after cleaning but it's not "wet" with oil. The loads I've been using have been 3 drams of powder with 1 and one eighth ounce of shot although I have also shot heavier loads as well with the same result. It's been months since I've shot this thing because it is so aggravating, but my best recollection is that the spent shell is successfully extracted and ejected from the chamber, and the new shell is fed from the magazine but will not come up high enough to feed into the chamber and the bolt stays open. I'm going to try it on sporting clays this Friday so I should have a more accurate and detailed description then. In the meantime, before I go I will try the heavier oil coating on the action. Thanks.---Later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next