It is currently Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli Ethos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I purchased the Ethos this past Saturday at the Cabela's in Lacey WA. I inspected the outside of the gun really well, but didn't look any further.
When I got home yesterday I tore the gun down to remove all the packing grease and noticed a ding in the bolt (see pic).
In your opinion should I be worried about this? I've sent this picture to Benelli asking the same question.

Post subject: Re: Benelli Ethos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Might be related to the new "ball detent" they added on to lock the bolt without much effort?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I wouldn't worry about that. Only is it has raised edges and is scraping the receiver rail.

If it really bothers you...call Benelli and send a picture...they will probably just replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I emailed Benelli and this is their reply:

Quote:
The gunsmiths’ don’t think this will be an issue for function or will hurt the gun in any way. It looks to have been dinged before hardening and chroming. Should be fine.

I just feel like I bought a new car with a dent in the fender. They said if I send it back it's a month turnaround and the gunsmiths may not do anything about it, since it's not affecting the function of the gun.

I may send it back anyway in the hopes that they replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is a manufacturing defect and Benelli needs to replace it, just that simple.

There are things they don't cover:

Quote:
What Is Not Covered

This warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by…

Misuse or accidents
Failure to provide proper care or maintenance
Failure to comply with instructions in the manual
Normal wear and tear
Rust or corrosion
Obstructions in the barrel

No way would that be acceptable to me in a brand new gun of any significant cost. Your e-mail from Benelli shows that they think they caused the damage: "It looks to have been dinged before hardening and chroming."

I'll translate that statement: "our quality control missed a defective part that never should have been hardened or chromed in the first place, it should have been rejected."

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Randy,
I love it and honestly you couldn't be more correct. I'll get it returned.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's the weight. Sorry I can't help with trigger pull.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Looks like the catalog / website weight is right on the money: they claim 6.4 lbs. for the 26 inch, 6.5 for the 28 inch, so that's about as close as anyone can expect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Mine is the 26"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

My 24 inch M2 is listed at 5.7 lbs. It isn't, it is 6 lbs. on the nose. My 26 inch Vinci is listed at 6.8 lbs. It is actually 7 lbs. 1 oz. The old "wood density" excuse doesn't apply here, for the stocks are fantastic plastic. The Ethos published weights seem more representative than most of the Benelli numbers.

Anyway, as far as your defective, marred bolt: you'll likely get a better response from a phone conversation than e-mail. Your marred bolt probably won't affect function, but that isn't the point. Your analogy of a dented fender is right on the money, for fender dents and scratched paint doesn't change basic function.

No way would I pay new, unmarred price for a gun with a gouged bolt. And, if I was buying used, the price of a new bolt would be a consideration in the price of the gun as well. That's why everyone buys new, sure there may well be blems acquired over time, but when you buy new you are the one that paid for the privilege of putting them there.

The Ethos is touted as the "Perfect Blend of Art and Technology." There is no Art in a dinged or gouged up bolt. The logo from Benelli proclaims "Simply Perfect." Everyone knows what perfect is and what you got is a mistake, not perfection.

It is also worth a call or visit to the Cabela's to see about an exchange. Though their published policy is "Firearms, black powder guns, ammunition, gunpowders, and primers may not be returned due to safety considerations." no one could tell me with a straight face that returning (or exchanging) a new shotgun that has not been fired is a "safety consideration."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 pm 
Limited Edition

I took Randy's advice and made the phone call. After a long chat, I learned that the gun is so new they do not have parts for it. Because of this, I have to send the entire gun in for an exchange. It also sounds like I'm in for a long wait. I may have it back in April, which is around the time my A5 Ultimate should be back from Browning's repair shop.
Benelli has been very easy to work with so far. I hope they make good on it. I never even got to shoot it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are several options, but only you can decide what you are agreeable to. Did you talk to Cabela's? Certainly, these things happen and the dingy bolt was not intentional. Cabela's can exchange the gun for you if they want to. There is no reasonable reason for them not to. Most Cabela's will handle returns for you, if you ask. This isn't like you bought a gun and wanted your money back a month later, and it isn't a belated claim of a defect at all. If you had bought a gun and found a scratch on the stock a month later and they said "Can't help you," I wouldn't blame them.

Sounds like Benelli is going to exchange the gun? That does solve the issue, they are standing behind their product, etc.

There are other options, but that is between you and Benelli. No, they don't need the entire gun and no, it doesn't make any sense that you can't shoot it. A gouge in the bolt isn't going to heal itself, it has nothing to do with the rest of the gun, and surely they can sent you the part of the bolt alone that has the flaw.

It would make sense to me that you could simply order the new part that is to be replaced right now, as long as Benelli agrees to not to bill your credit card until the part is shipped to you and further agrees to issue full credit when you return the defective bolt piece.

To my tiny mind, that makes perfect sense. Your gun isn't tied up for a mystery amount of time, when the part is available, you get it. What is the difference? They get the marred piece back and they can then scrap it, send it to Italy or whatever.

Perhaps they want the gun as a "matter of policy." Well, then why can't they simply advise you when the part is available, and then you can send the gun in? Is that too difficult?

Benelli USA, in my experience, does have good customer service and good gunsmiths. The frustrating part, in some cases, is from a decision made in Italy that Benelli USA has no control over. For example, why would anyone sell a firearm without a full array of parts, in hand, allocated to warranty? The answer, I'm afraid, is "go ask Italy." The Raffaello Power Bore isn't actually "brand new," for it was announced in April of 2013 or perhaps a bit earlier. It is just new to the United States, that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I purchased the gun while out of town, so returning to that cabelas wasn't an option I wanted to peruse. I called our local cabelas and they didn't know what a Benelli Ethos was.
I just moved forward and shipped the gun back to Benelli. FedEx says it will arrive on the 19th at Benelli.
I will let you know how this turns out. I image it will end well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Alright, then it is a settled matter.

I would have done the same thing insofar as insisting on a defect-free bolt. Though no one else would notice, I would . . . every time I looked at the gun, that's all I'd see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

Gotta say, i think the bolts are not as pristine looking as the rest of the gun. Examining mine i noticed some little dings like that that look like they were there before the final polishing. Dnt look like they wil affect anything but its ok

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:50 am 
Limited Edition

You have dings in yours like I show in the picture above?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Macfly wrote:
Gotta say, i think the bolts are not as pristine looking as the rest of the gun. Examining mine i noticed some little dings like that that look like they were there before the final polishing. Dnt look like they wil affect anything but its ok

+1. Upon a very close inspection every new gun will have what I call irregularities. Once a part is handled by humans it begins the journey to "handling defects".

Sometimes in the quest for perfection we end up with a new part that has the same or worse defect.

There are far worse unacceptable defects that you can view on the Beretta A400 thread. Take a look at the bolts in those guns!!! Notice the reported wear just after light use.

How about all newly designed guns that come with a bolt that isn't polished or even chromed plated? Or worse O/U receivers with clear powder coatings. We can classify all of these as cost saving design defects.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
My 24 inch M2 is listed at 5.7 lbs. It isn't, it is 6 lbs. on the nose. My 26 inch Vinci is listed at 6.8 lbs. It is actually 7 lbs. 1 oz.

My Super Vinci 28" is 6.9# on a calibrated digital scale. Unloaded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://www.randywakeman.com/Benelli_Sup ... Review.htm

Directly comparing this 28 in. Super Vinci to my 26 in. camo Vinci, it doesn't weigh more, it is actually about 2 oz. lighter at 6 lbs. 14 oz. vs. about 7 lbs. for the standard Vinci. The trigger on the Super Vinci is outstanding right out of the box, breaking at 3-3/4 to 4 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
http://www.randywakeman.com/Benelli_Super_Vinci_Review.htm

Directly comparing this 28 in. Super Vinci to my 26 in. camo Vinci, it doesn't weigh more, it is actually about 2 oz. lighter at 6 lbs. 14 oz. vs. about 7 lbs. for the standard Vinci. The trigger on the Super Vinci is outstanding right out of the box, breaking at 3-3/4 to 4 lbs.

Ah ha. I would not have expected that; I thought you had a faulty scale. :) {hs#

6#14oz = 6.875# = 6.9#
So we confirm each other.