It is currently Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anybody shot the 20 gauge Ethos
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own and shoot a Cordoba 20 gauge. But, I miss the old school wood and blueing. I enjoy the Cordoba except for the ported barrel and lack of wood. I may look at the 20 gauge Ethos to possibly replace it. I was wondering if any have seen it, handled it or even shoot it. If so, what did you think? The Cordoba is a wonderful handling for me and fits incredibly well. So, the Ethos will have to really impress me to sway me to trade in the Cordoba. But, I do miss the traditional look.

Woody

Post subject: Re: anybody shot the 20 gauge Ethos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Handled a 26" 20 gauge last week at a local gun shop. Fit and finish was excellent. Dang thing was light! That's about all I can tell you. Tough to find a review of the 20 gauge ETHOS anywhere!

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Joe,

I am worried about the weight as well. I like the 6-6.5 lb guns for the field. They just seem to swing better. The Ethos seems to be a Legacy with a new "thingy" on the stock, a new bolt and something to do with shell handling. I do miss the wood/blue look of the Legacy/Ethos but worry about the slight weight difference for me. Hopeful of finding one soon to handle. Hopefully, Randy can get a hold of one to review soon. May even have a new A5 in 20 gauge to compare with.

Woody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There is no 20 gauge A5 that I know of, just the new Sweet Sixteen.

At $2200 MSRP, the market for the 20 gauge Ethos is a small one. There is such a thing as too light, at least as far as I'm concerned. The A400 28 gauge is in that category. Fun, but hitting the unstable arena.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

My Montefeltro 20 gauge with 26" barrel is 5.8 pounds on my calibrated digital scale. I think it's a perfect weight for field use, and I like shooting clays with it, as well. They list the Ethos as 5.6 pounds, so it's pretty much the same weight. The Monte is also listed as 5.6 pounds on Benelli's web site.

What's interesting is that my 12 gauge Montefeltro weighs 6.6 pounds, and the Benelli web site lists it at 7.1 pounds. The 12 gauge Ethos is listed at 6.5 pounds which, again, would be very close to my Monte.

For less than half the price, I think I'll stick with my 20 gauge Montefeltro.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:00 pm 
Field Grade

I bought my son one, and he seems to like it. He had me change the shims out to drop the stock at the heel, and it started working on his cheek. We are breaking it in with 1oz loads so that may be why its getting his cheek. I shot a round of skeet with it and its not for me, I like a heavier gun, that being said I think it will be a good gun for all around use.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I appreciate all of the input. I to fear the weight. I do not mind a 20 or 28 gauge in the 6-6.5 lbs to carry in the field. Not too light to carry and swings very well. The 20/28 gauge legacy models look great, but are too light for me to swing consistently. I will probably stay with the Cordoba and hope that Benelli will offer the barrel with none porting and the raised rib. The Cordoba is always a favorite of any of my fellow shooters who pick it up and shoot it. I too shoot this gun very well. Just wish it was available in wood finish, non ported and better shell handler(this has reportedly been improved with the Ethos). Happy hunting everyone this New Year.

Woody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

woodtam wrote:
...The Cordoba is always a favorite of any of my fellow shooters who pick it up and shoot it. I too shoot this gun very well. Just wish it was available in wood finish, non ported and better shell handler...

My Cordobas (12 & 20) are my duck guns so not having wood on these shotguns doesn't bother me. But if you need to have wood, get the Legacy or Sport II. They do have a ported barrel (like your Cordoba), but that shouldn't stop you from buying an otherwise excellent gun. For me, the Ethos has no "improvements" I can't live without. Especially at the price.

I have heard that you can get a non-ported barrel for a Cordoba if you live in Europe. I wonder why Benelli doesn't give shooters in the USA the same option?

Browning - Maxus Hunter (12 ga.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

B-Boy

Took my Cordoba 20 gauge out recently for a little spin. Forgot how well that gun fits, feels and shoots. I was quickly reminded why I bought and love the gun. I have decided against the Ethos. I will wait for the opportunity to get a non ported barrel if it comes around. I have shoot several Benelli's and the Cordoba still feels the best in my hands.

Woody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Woody,

Can't argue with you at all. {hs# The Cordoba is my favorite hunting gun. I like it so much, I have 2. :lol:

Browning - Maxus Hunter (12 ga.)

Post subject: anybody shot the 20 gauge Ethos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I wish the 20ga Córdoba came with a non-ported barrel and I wish the 20ga M2 came with a 28" barrel. I love my 20ga Córdoba (except for the ported barrel)!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

woodtam wrote:
I own and shoot a Cordoba 20 gauge. But, I miss the old school wood and blueing. I enjoy the Cordoba except for the ported barrel and lack of wood. I may look at the 20 gauge Ethos to possibly replace it. I was wondering if any have seen it, handled it or even shoot it. If so, what did you think? The Cordoba is a wonderful handling for me and fits incredibly well. So, the Ethos will have to really impress me to sway me to trade in the Cordoba. But, I do miss the traditional look.

Woody

For whatever reason, the 20 gauge Ethos models I've shot have had horribly heavy trigger pulls, far heavier than the weight of the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Does the 12ga Ethos have the same heavy trigger issue?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

When I reviewed the (12 ga.) Benelli Ultra Light, I found the trigger to wonderfully adequate, breaking at 5 lbs, 7 oz. Sadly, the 12 ga. Ethos trigger is worse, breaking at 6-1/4 lbs. or a bit more. The Ethos trigger break is just marginally lighter than the weight of the gun and that is a disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Mr. Wakeman,

Where or who can cure the trigger problem on an Ethos.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:44 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Before you buy, go to your pro-shop with trigger gauge in hand: an ounce of prevention and all that stuff.

Benelli will adjust a trigger within their tolerances. So, a phone call to Benelli as to what exactly they are willing to do with an Ethos trigger is a good place to start.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm 
Field Grade

BigAL33 wrote:
I wish the 20ga Córdoba came with a non-ported barrel and I wish the 20ga M2 came with a 28" barrel. I love my 20ga Córdoba (except for the ported barrel)!

BigAl
The M2 20 g does come with a 28 inch barrel. I have one and use it for everything (ducks/grouse/Pheasant). It balances well and is reliable.