It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Performance Shop or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:01 pm 
Field Grade

The Supersport is on my short list for my first Sporting Clays gun. Is the Performance Shop model worth the extra money compared to the standard model? Being a novice shooter, am I really going to need, or miss, all the bells and whistles that come with the P/S? The Performance Shop model would be at the extreme of my original budget.

Post subject: Re: Performance Shop or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:47 pm 
Crown Grade

It won't do anything but look cooler. Use the money for lessons and ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can add the options that you want. I purchased a regular SS and then added the release lever and magazine cap weights that you can get from Briley. I would suggest the release lever because if you shoot high volume, the little release button will start to hurt the tip of your finger. The extra cost of the performance SS is really in the barrel work anyways. Add what you want when you have the extra $$$.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have shot the 2 side by side and there is more to the Performance Shop version than just cosmetics. I definitely prefer the Performance Shop feel and smoothness, as well as trigger pull over the standard SS. I actually hope to shoot one tomorrow.

Now that being said, I don't know that at my level of shooting it really helps me much, but if I had the money to invest I would buy the Performance Shop version. But since I don't, I'll keep shooting my Montefeltro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Over the last 18 years my observation has been that sporting shooters who start out with a Benelli don't stick with them. They are certainly well made guns but not the best for they clay target sports.

CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rmac/md wrote:
The Supersport is on my short list for my first Sporting Clays gun. Is the Performance Shop model worth the extra money compared to the standard model? Being a novice shooter, am I really going to need, or miss, all the bells and whistles that come with the P/S? The Performance Shop model would be at the extreme of my original budget.

I'm making an assumption that you are a novice shooter (pardon me if I'm wrong). That being said, I wouldn't invest the money in a performance shop gun. At your level, all you'll notice is the money missing from your wallet. Spend the money you save on shells and lessons. Both of these will make you a better shooter than a performance shop gun.

Browning - Maxus Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 am 
Field Grade

B-Boy wrote:
rmac/md wrote:

I'm making an assumption that you are a novice shooter (pardon me if I'm wrong). That being said, I wouldn't invest the money in a performance shop gun. At your level, all you'll notice is the money missing from your wallet. Spend the money you save on shells and lessons. Both of these will make you a better shooter than a performance shop gun.

100% sound advice. I don't know a single shooter who has stuck with their first gun more than a few years or so, before moving on to something else as they refine their shooting ability and personal preferences in gun types.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 am 
Field Grade

I'll echo others here and suggest saving the money for ammo and lessons.

I have the regular SuperSport and added the weighted forend cap and larger bolt handle from Briley for the extra weight and aesthetics.

Barrel work and trigger work are really the big ticket items in the Performance Shop edition, both of which you can do later if you really want to. I'll admit that the trigger work is nice, but I personally don't see any value in the barrel work.