It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which recoil reducer for 20ga Montefeltro?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

My wife and I have matching Montefeltros, 12 for me and 20 for her. Since the Montes are so light, she starts feeling some discomfort after a couple rounds of trap. I'm currently searching for a youth stock for her 20ga, and I figured I'd add a recoil reducer while I'm at it.

My question is that I don't know which works better for trap. I've seen models that mount in the stock, as well as models that screw on in place of the magazine cap. Do any of you have any recommendations which would work best for trap? Personally, I'd rather go with the in-stock version, but if the mag cap model dampens better, I think she'd be ok with that.

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Which recoil reducer for 20ga Montefeltro?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Forend weights from Jim's Eye and Ear in Jacksonville, FL have worked well for me. Some of my friends use Dead Mule in-stock recoil reducers or shot filled hulls with good results. I'm not sure what kind of stock cavity you have to work with and that may influence your choice. I prefer 1100s for their added weight in the field and on the field so I normally only add 5 ounces or so. Good luck finding a good solution so that she will enjoy shooting with you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 pm 
Field Grade

Limbsaver recoil pads help a lot. Put one on for her, see if it does the trick. They don't add much weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Of all the shotgun sports I think trap gives the shooter the most focus on recoil. Strongly suggest you buy an appropriate gun for your wife to shoot trap. A 6lb bird gun is about as bad a choice as could be made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anyone who has not fired a Benelli with a Limbsaver recoil pad installed needs to do it.
There is no other way to understand the degree of felt recoil reduction.

If anyone has a problem with inertia action shotgun recoil they deserve it to themselves to try one of the NEW Limbsaver pads.

It made my Montefeltro into a go-to gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 am 
Limited Edition

Would you include even the 20ga in that assessment?

Are they sticky?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mine are 12 gauges, but I'm guessing the 20 would benefit the same. I had old ones that got sticky-gooey-the new ones I am using are the AirTech models. They are a different design but are also not slick like most pads. You have to adopt a push out, then up, mount. They don't slide over clothing very well. I have one on a SuperNova pump and my Montefeltro and am very pleased. I had no trouble adjusting to using the pads, but mostly hunt. Shoot clays very seldom.