It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for PerryB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 am 
Limited Edition

PerryB

I did not want to high jack another forum so I started a new one. I have a Cordoba 20 gauge that when functioning well is a beauty to shoot. But, I think I have the issue you noted in another forum. The gun is difficult to load and high volume skeet days will tear up my thumb due to some work to load the gun. I have a FTF problem that increases with use of the gun. The FTF problem improves a little after a good cleaning but still becomes an issue as shot count increases. I am very particular about making sure the shells are pushed all the way into the magazine so as to feed properly during consecutive shoots. The carrier latch/sheel shot stop issues could be my problem. Can you tell me the best way to diagnosis this and where can I find info to fix this if this is the issue. This a fantastic gun to shoot when it is cycling well.

Woody

Post subject: Re: Question for PerryB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone else that is familiar with this possible problem, please chime in

Woody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:26 am 
Field Grade

I am not Perry B, but the Benelli shotguns (including the 12 gauge Cordoba and SuperSport that I own and shoot extensively) tend to suffer from difficulty in pushing the shells past the shell stop to load the magazine, trapping a thumb between the end of the shell lifter and receiver after the shell is loaded the magazine, and difficulty releasing the bolt with the bolt release button when there is a shell on the lifter, waiting to the loaded into the chamber. From my own experience, I manage the first problem by simply pushing the shell firmly past the shell stop. Regarding the second problem, I never have a problem with trapping my thumb, because I learned years ago (on an 1100) to push the shell in with the end of my thumb (instead of the pad of my thumb), keeping my thumb parallel to the shell lifter. This technique also prevents me from pinching my thumb when loading my Benellis. However, there is a modification available to the shell lifter that "fills in" the end of the lifter, that pretty much stops any possibility of trapping a thumb. The third problem is caused when a shell is placed in the ejection port when the gun pointing down, then trying to press the bolt release button to load this shell into the chamber. When loaded this way, the nose of the shell is usually all the way forward in the receiver and against the shell in the magazine, which blocks the shell latch from moving inwards, which in turn prevents the bolt from pressing in easily (when this happens, the shell loads after I stop pressing the the bolt release). I manage this problem by keeping the muzzle of the gun level or slightly elevated when loading a shell from the ejection port, which keeps the nose of loaded shell away from the tip of the shell latch, which allows a much easier bolt release when loading. Hope this information helps. CG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:42 am 
Tournament Grade

I definitely recommend pushing the shells into the tube with the tip of your thumb, pad down. Use the angle of your knuckle to apply pressure to the lifter in order to keep it above the shell stop while pushing the shell into the magazine. You only have to get bit once or twice to figure to how to keep it from happening again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Tex and CG

Thanks for the input. I do tend to close the action loading the shell with the barrel pointed downward. I will try you technique next time out. I will try the thumb technique next time as well. Hopefully no more FTF issues or bad thumbs. Will let you know next time I have a high volume shoot. Thanks guys.

Woody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 am 
Field Grade

If the gun ftf's again, try to note if the shell is not leaving the magazine, if the bolt is back and the shell is sitting on the carrier, etc., as that will provide additional detail that may help to identify and correct the cause of this problem. You have probably noted that there are a couple of marks on the inside of the receiver caused as the shell comes out of the magazine, then is lifted by the shell lifter into the chamber. These marks and the flat surface of the bolt release/shell stop on the other side of the receiver should receive a very light coat of oil or grease when the gun is cleaned to reduce friction in these areas, which in turn reduces the tendency to ftf. In general, these guns are very reliable even when dirty, but can begin to have problems when they do not have enough lubricant in their friction areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Limited Edition

CB

Thanks for the pointer. My ftf is always the same. The bolt is back and the shell is out of the magazine resting on the carrier. I do notice the marks in the receiver and have never lubed them. This may be part of the problem. The ftf occurs after increased use. I always clean the gun after use. I do not grease these areas. So, the problem could be the residual oil after cleaning could be worn away with extended use resulting in slowed transition from the magazine to the barrel as a product of friction against the wall of the receiver. I will use a small amount of grease on these areas next time out to see if this happens to fix the problem. Thanks again.

Woody