CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Develpment in My Ruger GL and launched choke tube
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Today I was back at OakTree GC and Nick, one of the workers there, presented me with a big chunk of twisted metal that was once my choke tube. Clearly, half of it had shattered and been blown out of the muzzle. So now I know what happened to the tube. The metal on the edges of the fragment (about 40% of the full tube) looks crystalized to the naked eye. So, I will be sending the gun back to Ruger along with all of my choke tubes and seeing what they will do with it. The right muzzle is slightly out of round due to a frament exiting at an angle.

Post subject: re: New Develpment in My Ruger GL & choke tube photo!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Got a photo now. Image

Post subject: re: New Develpment in My Ruger GL and launched choke tube
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:54 am 
Tournament Grade

R J Talley,

Are you sure you had your chokes screwed in all the way before you shot your gun? Any choke has the potential to blown out of a barrel if it is not tight and seated properly. Do you check your chokes everytime you go out, and preiodically while you are shooting?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am 
Field Grade

This is just one of those things that happens. It could have easily been a Browning or other well know manufacturer. I'm with Slickyboy, did you check your tube to see if it was properly installed? I have found that if you check them before, during and after you are less likely to have something like this happen. I don't feel that this is a Ruger problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, in the oringinal post a few weeks ago I laid it out in detail. I check the tubes before each session and once before the final round of the night. So i was completely surprised by the missing tube. I figure in any tube that thin, you're going to have a problem every once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:14 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

If you haven't seen my previous postings, check out a few of them where I show details that can make this subject more understandable from the shooter's perspective.

I have posted various pictures and have written much to explain choke tube troubles and have several articles at my website dealing with specific examples, such as the barrel about to rupture at the next shot. The tube is doing an inside out banana peel and has split the barrel exterior, as well.

Here are a couple of recent examples that I have posted for examination by readers here.

This view from the muzzle perspective shows a choke tube vastly offset from the bore centerline and nearly exposes the edge of the tube to the passing shot/wad (ejecta).

That shiny edge you see on the right actually starts before the 11 o'clock orientation and stops past 6 o'clock.
You mean you haven't looked through the photo section and found this picture? There is an explanation posted there, also.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410 ... 21&pos=167

That black shadow line is what the shot hits and will use to try to peel the choke out of the barrel.

One has a piece missing, and the other has the entire skirt gone. Not a strip-tease you'd want to be near.

That split down the tube is packed full of wad plastic and fouling.

You want to see more? See my previous postings and check the website articles.
kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

Post subject: Re: re: New Develpment in My Ruger GL and launched choke tub
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dropahammer wrote:
This is just one of those things that happens. It could have easily been a Browning or other well know manufacturer.

Absolutely true. However, this isn't the only report of an RGL sending a choke tube downrange... so what it is about the chokes in these guns that make them prone to taking flight?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:01 am 
Field Grade

The pictures above show what I stated, it can easily be a Browning, Winchester or another big name manufacturer. I am sure the ones above are of another making since Rugers are 2 shots. I would imagine a close inspection when you buy a gun would eliminate this problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dropahammer wrote:
I would imagine a close inspection when you buy a gun would eliminate this problem.

Yes, by a very experienced individual and with the right tools, or a good gunsmith. Most run of the mill gun buyers would have no idea.

Not only do screw in chokes have this possible problem, there are some that may be safe, but don't shoot to where they should as well.

Quality of installation, big name, new manufacture, or aftermarket, is the difference.

I just don't care much for screw in chokes. That said, I do have some guns that have them. Most are converted to PolyChoke II's by just screwing them in and only removing once or so a year, just to keep the threads from locking up.

If I can, (and I certainly can and do), grind in a jugchoke, using only a hand held die grinder with various stones and polishing arbors, and get the pattern dead on, why can't these choke installers get it right?

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13 pm 
Field Grade

jugchoke: I wouldn't think your run of the mill person would be buying a $2000+ gun and would be intelligent enough to check or have it checked before shooting it. Although you would think that at the prices of the "good" twice shooters, the manufacturers could get it right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:23 pm 
Field Grade

On a new gun I do check it very closely, but also consider the fact that when you pay that much for any shotgun it should be done right and you shouldn't have to check. I believe this is true for all gunmakers and not just Ruger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dropahammer wrote:
jugchoke: I wouldn't think your run of the mill person would be buying a $2000+ gun and would be intelligent enough to check or have it checked before shooting it.

Just exactly the way that was written, I would have to agree. But somehow, I don't feel that was exactly what you meant. Maybe I am wrong on what you meant, but I believe that they would more than likely just buy it and just go out and shoot it. Very few people that I know of, figure that they should "inspect" the fit of the chokes on most used guns, let alone on a new one.

Although you would think that at the prices of the "good" twice shooters, the manufacturers could get it right.

Now, on that one, no question!

And dklabs, on your "On a new gun, I do check it very closely", I think you are the exception, rather than the rule!

I certainly wouldn't even consider having screw in chokes installed, without knowing the reputation of the installer, and then I would use my tools to verify the job when I got the barrel/s back!

Been there and done that. As well as seeing the after effects of a less than desirable job. What was left to measure in the aftermath, measured exactly the same as the bore at the mouth of an undamaged, matching tube. NO room for error there!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dropahammer wrote:
jugchoke: I wouldn't think your run of the mill person would be buying a $2000+ gun and would be intelligent enough to check or have it checked before shooting it.

Most people, when buying a $2000 gun, ASSUME it's right, and shouldn't NEED to have it checked out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drsfmd wrote:
dropahammer wrote:

Most people, when buying a $2000 gun, ASSUME it's right, and shouldn't NEED to have it checked out.

Yeah, dr, but "wouldn't think" and then "would be"! Now just what did he mean? :? :?

Did he mean what he said, or did he mean what he thought he said, and was I right in that I said I didn't think he meant what he did say, or wrong in thinking he might have meant the opposite? Then of course, he could have said or meant something else, altogether.

Whooo! I am getting dizzy here! :shock: :roll: :? :lol:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

jughead:

Excuse me jugchoke, you have to know what ASSUME means.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dropahammer wrote:
jughead:

Excuse me jugchoke, you have to know what ASSUME means.

I didn't assume anything! I didn't even say it!

Better read your post again and see if you can make sense out of it! Would or wouldn't that is the question. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Makes an "a$$" out of "U" and "me"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK an update from Ruger:

I have to wait until the gun arrives to get the full detailed report but they did repair my gun at no cost to me. Here's what they did:
1. Re-barreled the gun
2. repolished everything
3. reblued everything
4. Replaced the ejector springs
5. Replaced the cross-bolt mechanisim
6. Replaced all of the choke tubes
7. Retimed the action
8. Replaced one of the fireing pins (right side/blown choke side)

So far, no explanation for the failed tube. I'll post agin when the gun arrives.

Post subject: Re: New Develpment in My Ruger GL and launched choke tube
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

One year later, 1,000+ rounds more and no further problem. So far, so good.