CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About to buy my first Red Label
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's an older (1992 Sporting Clays) model in real nice shape. I was looking at Citoris(hope it's ok to say that word here), but decided to take a look at a Red Label. I like the Citoris, but they are kinda blocky looking to me, and the Citori I was considering is 3/4 pound heavier(at least) than the Red Label. I shot it last night on the skeet field and will shoot it again tomorrow night.

I've been a Ruger fan for awhile, owning 2 M77 MKII rifles. I'll keep you posted in the next few days.

Any words of advice on what to look for specifically, good or bad?

Dave

Post subject: re: About to buy my first Red Label
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I have the Sporting Clays model from the same year. I like mine very much. The stock drop is a bit low for me so I put an 1/8" comb riser on mine and it shoots where I look. It has a bunch of rounds through it and works very reliably. What more could you ask for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just buy it you won't be sorry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

I know 20 ga RRL's were introduced first. Is the SC model from 1992 a 12 ga or a 20 ga? I have a 20 ga SC model built in 2000 or 2001. It didn't sem to "fit" me at first but after a bit of practice it seems to shoot mostly where I point it. I really have grown fond of it. I have a 12 ga RRL and have not had any serious issues with either. I have other more expensive O/U and SxS shotguns but none any better.

If possible, I would see if a stock off inspection is an option before buying it to check for corrosion. Look closely at the forearm in a good light for signs of hairline cracks. You should end up with a shotgun that will last several life times.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry about not mentioning the gauge, it's a 12 ga. I'll check the items you mentioned. It's currently owned by a guy that I have known most of my life. He's the captain of the Trap team that I'm on. He is meticulous with his posessions. I trust him, but will still check it out pretty good.

And Speaking of Trap Club, our Annual Awards Banquet was tonight, and our team took 1st place. Naturally, being my first year of shooting Trap, I was the team boat anchor, but an improving boat anchor.

More later
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I picked it up tonite. Everything checked out good and I'm pumped. Ready to give it a go at the trap club on Wednesday. That will be the last night of shooting for the year. Then on to the hunting season. Grouse and pheasant are my 2 main bird targets. Grouse opened on the 13th, and pheasant opens up on Oct 11th.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: About to buy my first Red Label
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm working on getting an RRL Sporting Clays 20 ga match to my 12 ga RRL Sporting Clays. It's a 1996 manufacture according to the Serial #. I'll know tomorrow whether I am able to get it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

They are super addictive! I got the 20 first and had to have the other gauges, I ran across the 28 first and then the 12 just a few weeks ago. All of them are great shooters and I got them for way under what they are worth. I'm very happy with them!

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the- line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right for about $109.95. That's right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got the RRL Sporting Clays 20 ga. Actually, I've had it a couple of weeks. My digital camera is old and not working properly. As soon as I can get it to work or replace it I'll get some pics posted up. Up here in the frozen North Country we're still a month away from the Trap & Skeet Club opening. I'll use it primarily for the skeet range and possibly some ruffed grouse hunting in the fall.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

You'll enjoy it! I have all 3 barrel lengths too, and I wish they were all 28" for some reason that is a perfect length for me.

I'm surprised your trap and skeet isn't open by now though... its pretty cold and snowy here about 50 miles from the Canadian border but Trap, Skeet, and SC spring leagues start next wednesday for us, we've already had a few NSSA shoots.

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the- line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right for about $109.95. That's right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

mattsbox99,

I'm not sure what goes into determining the opening date of the club. I've only been a member for 2 yrs, and haven't gotten into that type of detail. All I can say is, that's probably the way it's always been, and so that's the way it is. I'm not sure what other clubs in the area do in the way of starting times either.

Now I wish that I would have started shooting the clay sports 20 or more years ago - Oh well!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 am 
Diamond Grade

I guess its better late than never.

Its been very windy here along with cool temps in the 40s so shooting hasn't been so enjoyable.