CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Red Label All Weather 12 ga. for waterfowl and am quite impressed. I am therefore considering upgrading my upland gun (CZ Bobwhite 20 ga. SxS DT w/English stock) to a 20 ga. Red Label with English stock. I had good luck with the CZ this year and am wondering what other upland hunters think about the Red Label with the English stock. I seem to see a repeating pattern of "The 20 ga. didn't do it for me but the 28 ga. did." It's pretty hard to find one nearby, I have to travel out of town to get my hands on one in a gun shop.

Any thoughts on how it handles and how it carries for a day afield would be appreciated.

David

Post subject: re: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi!

a) I owned a straight-stock 12 ga for approx. 8 or 9 years, until about a year ago;

b) liked it very much (esp. for wobble-trap fun!)

c) my understanding is that Ruger has discontinued production of straight-stock RL's (maybe just the 12's? doesn't make too much sense, that)

d) the one place I last knew you could definitely get one shipped to your FFL, particularly at anything near a price to "brag" on, was CDNN Investments in TX.

e) if you're seriously considering one, and I'm correct in 'c' above, do not procrastinate, call CDNN today (Google "CDNN Investments")

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I do have an English-stocked 28 ga, and I really like it. Personally, I don't even notice a difference between the straight stock and my POW stocked hunting guns (my true pistol-gripped guns are target gun only).

I haven't handled a 20 ga. RRL English stock, so I can't comment on it.

Is there something wrong with the CZ Bobwhite? If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

The CZ works great. I only have one 20 ga. at the moment, so would like to have one for me and one for the wife - she doesn't like to shoot anything bigger.

I thought seriously about the 12 ga. from CDNN, but it was a bit more than I wanted to carry around all day. Killer price though!

Thanks for everyone's comments. Is there anybody out there who specifically has the 20 ga.? I'd like to hear about how much it weighs, how it swings for upland shooting. My CZ is 6 1/2 lbs and it's a dream to carry. Ruger's website claims the English-stocked 20 ga. is only 6 lbs., but reality often differs with wood, etc.

Thanks again,

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
c) my understanding is that Ruger has discontinued production of straight-stock RL's (maybe just the 12's? doesn't make too much sense, that)

I have an RRL Sporter in 20 gauge with 30" barrels and PG stock. I like it enough to upgrade to straight grip wood from the Engraved Red Label. I called Ruger to order a set of nice wood (which they will not sell unless you ship the gun back to them for fitting, PITA), and they do not have any straight grip stocks available and don't know if/when they will have any.

Re the gun itself, it is front-heavy compared to a similar Beretta, but comparable in feel, especially around the frame dimensions. I don't shoot many clay targets, but use these guns for hunting. Compared to the Beretta, the Ruger is more of a pass shooting gun because of the weight-forward aspect. This gun is experiencing the dreaded Ruger safety problems, which I am posting about separately.

There is a lot of variation in Ruger wood, so if/when you buy, try to select for the quality of the wood. The good ones can be spectacular for a field gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

David,

I was just looking at a straight stock RRL 20 gauge (new) in a local shop yesterday. ($1479 ??)

Very nice gun. There's also a straight stock RRL 28 (a few towns over) used. ($900). Butt stock has alot of grain, but the forend is a little more plain.

I'm tempted by the 28. The 20 seemed to be very nice, however, I have a 686 20 gauge that already fills this void.

I guess the guns are out there to be had. PM me if you would like information about the local shop (they're reputable guys), maybe they would be able to send you pics and information.

Maggs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the price info. I'm tempted with the 28, but I think I should stick to the 20. Not trying to start an argument (been to that thread already) about whether a 28 can take a pheasant, but I think I personally need the extra lead in a 20.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

David,

I have a RRL 20 with an English stock that I won at a banquet 7 or 8 years ago. It's a pretty nice gun, but I never shoot it. My shooting skills require all the lead I can throw in the air so I usually use a 12 ga. I doubt that it's had a hundred rounds through it. I might consider selling it if the price is right. If you are interested in discussing it, let me know and I'll get some pictures and other info about it to you.

Post subject: Re: re: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 am 
Crown Grade

Ducky's Dad wrote:
I have an RRL Sporter in 20 gauge with 30" barrels and PG stock. I like it enough to upgrade to straight grip wood from the Engraved Red Label...

Re the gun itself, it is front-heavy compared to a similar Beretta, but comparable in feel, especially around the frame dimensions. I don't shoot many clay targets, but use these guns for hunting. Compared to the Beretta, the Ruger is more of a pass shooting gun because of the weight-forward aspect.

Thanks for the info. I would be looking at a 26" version that perhaps would reduce the front-heavy issue you experience. I'll have to handle one in person before I think about raising the ire of the wife ("You want ANOTHER gun? But you just bought one!"). Thanks for the offer awalt, I'll keep you in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm 
Crown Grade

An original-style 20 ga. Red Label with a blued receiver and fixed chokes (skeet and skeet) showed up at one of my local shops. They also happen to carry 20 ga. CZ SxS shotguns so while I was in there I picked them both up and gave them a try. Both guns balance just about perfectly over the hinge-pin and are close in weight - the CZ Bobwhite is 6 1/2 lbs. and the RRL is 6 3/4 lbs. Amazing what a little difference in weight and its distribution can make. When I swung both guns to the shoulder there was a marked difference between the two. The RRL felt heavy and slow to swing - not a lively gun - compared to the CZ. For the first time I felt what people mean by the description of Rugers being "barrel heavy."

It does not seem to be an upland gun, but perhaps a good waterfowling or clays gun. Now I just need to figure out how to get my wife to fall in love with it so we can get her one properly choked to go duck hunting together!

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have one of the early RRL 20's with the blued frame, also choked skt/skt (inherited). The thing that strikes me about that gun is the spectacular wood compared to the current guns. The Ruger will probably last longer than the Huglu, and the slight additional weight will help to absorb recoil if your wife is shooting duck loads. The weight is also helpful when shooting a lot of targets, both in absorbing recoil and in helping to keep the swing going. I don't find the weight of the RRL objectionable in 20 or 28, but I might in a 12 used for upland (fine for ducks, though).

Post subject: Re: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 am 
Field Grade

I have a RRL in 12 Ga. with and English stock. I love it! 26 inch barrels make it so handy and a little lighter. I got it from CDNN Investment last year for $999. I think they still have some left. You can;t beat that price, even after shipping and and FFL transfer fees.

I also have a CZ Ringneck 20 Ga. with Prince of Whales stock, also w/ 26" barrels. It's actually a very handy gun. You can carry it all day, points well, and it just fits me (5'9" tall and stocky build). The only beef I have with it is it has a really stiff trigger. So much so I called CZ and asked about the crappy trigger. Of course tehy offered to do $150 trigger job to fix it. BUt they also said it will loosen up with use. I have about 100-150 round through it and it does seemed to have lightened a little.

I've come to be really fond of the English and POW stocked guns. They just feel more natural to me when I hold them. I still have a few Veronas with Pistol grips, and of course the Waterfowl and Slug guns (pumps and Semis) have pistol grips, which I shoot just as well. (or poorly), but there is something about walking a field with my dog and carrying a straight stocked gun for upland birds. Maybe it's all in my mind, but like I said, I'm really fond of the English and POW stocks now.

Post subject: Re: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I saw the Ruger in CDNN too and if I didn't already have a 12 ga All-weather I would have seriously considered it.

When I went back to the shop to have my wife look at the 20 ga we were too late, somebody had already picked it up. I also noticed the nice wood in the older gun. Things never stay the same...

Thanks for the input guys!

Post subject: Re: re: English stock/straight grip Red Label Owners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm 
Limited Edition

maggs01 wrote:
Butt stock has alot of grain, but the forend is a little more plain.

That often tends to be the case, they select a straighter grain section for the forends on most firearms.

My father has a 20 gauge straight grip RRL, I like shooting it when he feels like using one of mine.