CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Label Safety Problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

This gun is an RRL 20 ga Sporter with PG and 30" bbls, purchased used but mint.

The safety selector is very sticky and will literally wear the skin off your thumb after a morning of dove hunting. I can force the selector off "safe" but only with a great deal of force and sometimes a bit of fiddling. Auto safety is still in place and I have no desire to deactivate the auto safety. I do want the safety to work more smoothly because it's so stiff that it causes me to miss shots when I can't get it off safe. Mechanism is clean and lubed. I took it to a capable shotgun smith who fooled with it for about an hour, and his report is that the problem is in the detents and that Ruger seems to have changed the design by adding a couple of bumps on the mechanism so that it cannot be disassembled. He suspects that Ruger may have done this so that the gun needs to go back to Ruger for work. I discussed the situation with another gunsmith and with a pistol smith who does a lot trigger jobs and 1911 customs, and they are both a bit stumped. I will call Ruger and will undoubtedly get their standard answer, which is "ship the gun to us and we'll let you know." I don't want to ship the gun cross country and would much prefer to have it repaired locally.

Any similar experience, hints, solutions, or special tools? Thanks.

Post subject: re: Red Label Safety Problem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, I called Ruger Product Service this morning and I did get the standard response, "no one else can fix it, so you must ship it back to us for repair." The person I spoke with did put me on hold to check re design changes, and she came back with a confirmation that they have changed the design to make it impossible to have the safety repaired locally. That means the gun has to be shipped 6,000 miles round trip for what should be a $50 repair. She could not give me an estimate on the cost of the repair. Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interesting. Good luck with your repair.

I've known some members from our club that had issues with the RRL Sporting guns (not sure what the problem was...)

After the trip to Ruger, the guns were repaired and the members seem to be happy with their experience.

I hope that this works out to be the same success story for you.

Maggs

Post subject: Re: re: Red Label Safety Problem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ducky's Dad wrote:
She could not give me an estimate on the cost of the repair. Very frustrating.

Ruger is famous for repairing "under warranty", i.e. at no cost to the owner. If I were you, I would point out that this is a manufacturing issue, and they should fix it for free. I'd even ask them to send a UPS shipping label so I didn't get stuck paying for shipping (what the heck, it never hurts to ask!). I know send a gun off is a PITA, but at least it's the beginning of the "off season", and should be back to you before the next hunting season opens.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
Ruger is famous for repairing "under warranty", i.e. at no cost to the owner.

Yeah, I know, but I still don't like the idea of having to ship the gun for what should be a simple, local repair. I guess it irritates me that I can get an 1885 Parker fixed locally, but I have to ship a modern CNC and castings gun to the east coast.

Post subject: Re: Red Label Safety Problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

For what it is worth, concerning customer service -

I sent in a RRL 20 gauge sporting model, that needed a couple items of attention. One of which was caused by my negligence. They did a tremendous job, and sent it back about a month ago.

Concerning customer service from another American company, I sent back a Marlin 1894C rifle to slick up the action, and they did a tremendous job as well. I sent in both guns at the same time, and got them both back within days of each other!

Besides shipping, I didn't pay a dime for anything!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I sent my RRL 12 Sporting back for repairs I requestes a paid shipping label since I was going on vacation for 2 weeks, they emailed it to me. Standard procedure was that they arrange pickup by ups for you. Took 3 weeks and cost $0. While I felt the same about not wanting to send mine for repairs, I sent it and ahve had 0 problems since it returned about 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good info, guys. Thanks.