It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Label questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

Hello...., I've got a Red Label 12 ga that I've had for 10 years or so. Recently I noticed the rib is loose in a couple places. Also, and it's probably been like this for awhile, the monobloc area has turned purple as compared to the blued barrels. How do you fix a loose rib? How about the purple color..., is there anything one can do to stop or counter this? Thanks!

Post subject: re: Red Label questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Tex,

I have the 30" sporting clays and the rib is a floating design that is not secured along its entire length. I have seen at least one thread in SGW regarding the purple color change I'm sure someone here has some info on it.

you could always touch base with Ruger on it for some more info on either issue. I have emailed them from there website and their customer service contact is just a phone call away.

Frank

Post subject: re: Red Label questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Ruger guns, not just the RL, will often turn purple.

Post subject: Re: Red Label questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tex106 wrote:
Hello...., I've got a Red Label 12 ga that I've had for 10 years or so. Recently I noticed the rib is loose in a couple places. Also, and it's probably been like this for awhile, the monobloc area has turned purple as compared to the blued barrels. How do you fix a loose rib? How about the purple color..., is there anything one can do to stop or counter this? Thanks!

This is common with the RRL and isn't the only gun out there that does it. Something to do with the metallurgy and the type of bluing Ruger uses. It is actually sought after by some people. It isn't the only gun that has that happen either. I have three Winchester Super X Model Ones. This shotgun uses a two piece barrel where the actual barrel screws into a second piece that slides into the receiver. About an inch of this second piece can be seen in front of the receiver and on all three of mine, it has a purple hue.

The rib rattle is also very common. As FrankQ said, Ruger has a floating rib design. This will loosen with time and become noticeably loose. You have a couple of choices. You can contact Ruger, send it in and they will repair it free of charge, or you can do what I did. I used a very small drop of red Loctite on each of the stanchions the rib attaches to and clamped the rib to dry over night. (A great way to clamp it is use wrap it with surgical tubing.) Two years later, still holding tight, no more rattle. There must be a little give in the Loctite because I was worried it would just harden and then break away under recoil, but that hasn't happened.

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

Post subject: Re: Red Label questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

The safety lever on my 1980 Browning BDA also turned purple. It must be in the bluing process. Makes it a nice two tone gun.