All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold Label
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 am 
Utility Grade

:( I wish I could find one I could afford :(

Post subject: Re: Gold Label
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wish they would discontinue the 12 ga model.......and introduce a 20, 28, and 410.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm 
Utility Grade

12 or 20 either would be fine I just don't have $4000 to spend thanks to the "O"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Gold Label only comes in 12 gauge. You can usually find some on gunbroker for about $3K or a little less.

Goldhky

Isla de Cuba anillo dice "libertade para todos"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Gold Label has been discontinued for several years. It may still be in the catalog, but none are leaving the factory. Apparently lots of trigger problems, barrel convergence problems, and spiraling costs killed the RGL. We've had a few come through the shop, all of which were sold on the Internet auction sites... that seems to be where a lot of them are changing hands.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Maybe I should rephrase my previous post and say the Gold Label "was" only made in 12 gauge. They have in deed been discontinued, and that is probably why the recent price appreciation. I saw one sell a few weeeks ago for $1800. I was scared to bid, thinking it may be a scam. Most go for about $3K. I own one, and have had none of the usual problems. Mine seems to be ok.

GoldHky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Goldhky wrote:
Most go for about $3K. I own one, and have had none of the usual problems. Mine seems to be ok.

You are one of the lucky ones I guess... :)

The ones we've sold have been in that price range as well. IMHO, there are much better options at that price point...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Im aware of their end of existnence but they really needed to make it in a subgauge. And one trigger??!!!! SxS need two. Opinions of course. But yeah, they are and were a mediocre gun that Im not sad to see gone. Im not sure the Americans know how to make a SxS at any price point anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 am 
Crown Grade

I remember when the Red label was introduced in 20ga only. All the gun mags said what a brilliant ploy this was to introduce the smaller gauge first. Not sure why they reversed their game plan on the Gold Label.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Claydoctor, I agree with you. I love my Gold Label, but I would really love it to be a 16 gauge, and or a 28 gauge. The recoil on these guns is significant for those recoil sensative people. I've seen several with aftermarket pads installed. I think they could have dressed them up a little more around the action as well. But, all things said, it is one of my favorite shotguns period.

Goldhky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

First of all I am a Ruger fan and have 2 RRL's. One is a factory engraved 12 ga and one is a 20 ga Sporting Clays model. Both are excellent guns and have served me well.

Of course I wanted to get a Gold Label as bad as any die hard Ruger fan but after several delays and dissapointments I started looking at other options. The result was to discover the RBL made by Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company (boxlock) and the Grade IV Ugartechea (sidelock). I couldn't be happier with either one of them. I now feel lucky that fate intervened and was not able to buy a Gold Label. I'm not knocking the Gold Label, I'm just saying that having it discontinued is far from the end of the world. BTW the RBL model I bought ran just over $3K and the Ugartechea ran just shy of $3K. Both are excellent values.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't you think it would be nice if Ruger came out with an explanation of why they ditched the project instead of just sneaking off like a thief in the night? While they are at it, maybe they could fess up as to why the Red Label seems to have so many problems compared to the competition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

A U.S. made SXS double was what I looked for, and Ruger came so close to getting it right! The one I handled was very nice, with a good weight and balance for upland hunting. I believe it would have been done a fine job on pheasants and grouse. But why in the world did they make it with a single trigger?!!! :? I know Mr. Ruger thought things out and designed guns that generally work very well, but he left me wondering about this choice of triggers on the Gold Label. So now I have a U.S. made CSMC gun on order, in the 16 gauge as the Gold Label should have been chambered and with (you guessed it) double triggers. I think the Gold Label could have and should have been much more successful as a product, but the Ruger Co. just did not build the shotgun that I was looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Golfswithwolves wrote:
in the 16 gauge as the Gold Label should have been chambered and with (you guessed it) double triggers.

The potential market for a $3000+ SxS is pretty limited. The potential market for a 16ga with double triggers is exponentially smaller. The market for said gun from Ruger when so many other manufacturers are established in the SxS field is infintesmal. In short, from a marketing perspective, your suggestion would be a huge failure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claydoctor wrote:
Don't you think it would be nice if Ruger came out with an explanation of why they ditched the project instead of just sneaking off like a thief in the night? While they are at it, maybe they could fess up as to why the Red Label seems to have so many problems compared to the competition.

You want them to admit that they can't figure out how to properly regulate barrels and can't build a trigger commensurate with that of their competition? No manufacturer that hopes to have a future in their respective industry is going to admit that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Somethings make it from drawing board to market and some don't. For well over a century the double barrel shotgun both SxS and O/U required more design considerations than a single shot and or the later repeating shotguns. More than likely the pump action shotgun design lends itself to more efficient production than any other shotgun design. But efficient isn't always what folks desire.

I personally would not have a SxS with a single trigger, which is the primary reason I did not buy a Gold Label when I had my initial chance to buy one. I thought for sure something with such gracefull lines would be available with double triggers. I still don't understand why only a single trigger was offered.

I can't help but wonder if Bill Ruger had passed away before the RRL was truely market ready if the RRL would have been dropped. And, I think had Bill Ruger pursued a SxS instead of an O/U in the 1970's-80's, Ruger fans could very well had a SxS and a discontinued O/U line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Golfswithwolves wrote:
in the 16 gauge as the Gold Label should have been chambered and with (you guessed it) double triggers.

The potential market for a $3000+ SxS is pretty limited. The potential market for a 16ga with double triggers is exponentially smaller. The market for said gun from Ruger when so many other manufacturers are established in the SxS field is infintesmal. In short, from a marketing perspective, your suggestion would be a huge failure.

You're probably correct in your analysis of mass-marketing. However, though the market be small yet I (and those like me in outlook) was a significant proportion of the market and this segment was ignored. As to the success of the Gold Label, well the way it was presented DID prove to be a failure. Couldn't have done much worse if they had tried to offer what I wanted. :wink: I think Ruger may have analyzed the market wrong on this shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Golfswithwolves wrote:
Couldn't have done much worse if they had tried to offer what I wanted. :wink:

Touche! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Golfswithwolves wrote:
drsfmd wrote:
Golfswithwolves wrote:

You're probably correct in your analysis of mass-marketing. However, though the market be small yet I (and those like me in outlook) was a significant proportion of the market and this segment was ignored. As to the success of the Gold Label, well the way it was presented DID prove to be a failure. Couldn't have done much worse if they had tried to offer what I wanted. :wink: I think Ruger may have analyzed the market wrong on this shotgun.

Nothing wrong with the market analysis. There was something wrong with the gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:08 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I was scanning GunBroker, and when I ran across several RGL's I thought of this thread.

If anyone is interested, there are currently several for auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128677477
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128614754
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128687485
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128691172
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128691576
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128412568
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =128588611

I don't recall ever seeing so many there at once before.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.