It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gold Label
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

I shot skeet with my GL yesterday morning. How dissapointing. i was only able to break 95 out of 100 birds. My guess is that if I had a real gun with collector value I would have done much better.

I thought the only choke tubes that fit the gun came from Ruger.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, you are just going to have to learn to live shooting 95. Don't beat yourself up over it. If that is all that hunk of junk can do for you, then you know your limits with it.

I just ordered today a Light Modified choke from Briley. Search for gold label chokes on google, will take you there, it is harder to get there if you go to Briley site first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

R J Talley wrote:
I shot skeet with my GL yesterday morning. How dissapointing. i was only able to break 95 out of 100 birds. My guess is that if I had a real gun with collector value I would have done much better.

I thought the only choke tubes that fit the gun came from Ruger.

I think Ruger's choke tubes are made by Briley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

You are right. I just got my Light Modified choke from Briley today.

Raining here, won't get out to pattern it until Friday now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Patterned my GL with a 1 1/8 oz load of number 6 using my new Lt Mod choke. I thought it would be a tad tighter than it was. Without counting pellets and getting all scientific, I would call the choke Improved Cylinder and a half.

Regardless, no holes in pattern, nice uniform pattern. Will hunt with skeet and Lt Mod in the barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

My experience with Ruger shotguns is that if you get a good one, you've got a good one. If you get a bad one you're in for an intimate relationship with their service department. Sounds like you've got a good one. Enjoy it for many years and leave a note for your heirs telling them what a rare gun they have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Oddgauge wrote:
Patterned my GL with a 1 1/8 oz load of number 6 using my new Lt Mod choke. I thought it would be a tad tighter than it was. Without counting pellets and getting all scientific, I would call the choke Improved Cylinder and a half.

Regardless, no holes in pattern, nice uniform pattern. Will hunt with skeet and Lt Mod in the barrels.

I measured the choke constriction on my Gold Label's skeet and IC tubes and they measured .008 and .012 respectively. A little tighter than I would have expected. I shot a sporting clays course in August with that combo and 7/8 oz loads and scored an 85/100. Not bad! I think I'll keep this ol' shooter! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:19 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Oddgauge wrote:

LMod is half-way between IC (.010") and Mod (.020"), or about .015" constriction. What would you expect, other than "Improved Cylinder and a half"? That's exactly what it's supposed to be...

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a GL and a 20g RL. I took the GL out looking for some quail a couple of days ago. I don't have a dog so it was just me kicking around some brush piles on a conservation area. I've shot a few rounds of trap and sporting clays with it, but what I really like is getting out and walking through the cover. The temp was around 30 degrees amd there was still a little snow on the ground. I didn't find any birds but really enjoyed getting out. Both the RL and GL have the straight stock and weigh about the same. I believe that the RL is a higher quality gun and the GL will probably be more collectable due to the low production numbers, but I really like the idea behind the GL. A light weight 12ga upland bird gun. It does kick but I have patterened some 3" - 1 1/4 oz steel BBs in it and found that the recoil was managable for me.
I read somewhere that when the GL was in the first stages of development, one thing that Bill Ruger insisted on was that they use as many components as possible from guns that were already in production. The SXS frame was to be based on an old round action design, english, small and compact, and was to be mounted on the stock of the 28 ga RL. The decision to utilize components from existing products is economical and an attempt to keep the cost down. The decision to mount it on the 28ga stock was to keep the size down. I do not have a 28 ga RL, but the stock of the GL is much smaller than the stock on my 20ga RL. The GL is a 12ga on a 28ga frame and I really like it. I really think that they intended to produce a field gun for upland hunting at a price under the RL. Since that was not possible they dropped it. When I kick through the brush and climb the hills with it I can really see what Bill Ruger was thinking about, a gun that you really like to take hunting.
If they were producing 10,000 units a month and selling them for $600 each, I think it would still be my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Gold Label that is 99% with1800 rounds through it, all at Skeet or Sporting Clays. Barrel convergence spot on,stock uncut or altered. Kickeeze pad added to increase length of pull,original buttplate , in original box.Automatic safety altered at factory to manual.No issues with triggers. I am not a sXs guy and shot the gun to see if I could score well in sxs tournements; I can't. Pictures for interested parties. $2900.00

John6272@sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:50 pm 
Field Grade

Haters can cuss the Ruger shotguns all they want but I have had my RRL for about 10 years and my RGL for 5 or 6 years now. Both have had several thousand rounds through them over the years and the Red Label was sent in once for a small crack in the forearm. It did not hurt how the gun shot but I did not like seeing it there. 2 weeks after sending it off it came back with a new forearm and a new stock that matched, new firing pins, and new springs. I asked the service dept why all the extra work was done and they said it was their policy to rebuild each one that came in for any kind of repair. It also came back with better looking wood than it had going in. Great job at customer service!!!! The only Ruger guns that I own that I would not send back for service are my old 3 screw revolvers because it is their policy to convert them to the transfer bar system.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

sting75ray wrote:
The only Ruger guns that I own that I would not send back for service are my old 3 screw revolvers because it is their policy to convert them to the transfer bar system.

But not without your OK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 am 
Field Grade

claydoctor wrote:
sting75ray wrote:
The only Ruger guns that I own that I would not send back for service are my old 3 screw revolvers because it is their policy to convert them to the transfer bar system.

But not without your OK.

Are you sure about that? I remember reading somewhere it was in their policy to convert them to cover them in case of any lawsuits.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

sting75ray wrote:
claydoctor wrote:
sting75ray wrote:

But not without your OK.

Are you sure about that? I remember reading somewhere it was in their policy to convert them to cover them in case of any lawsuits.

My understanding is that for years, they have offered to convert your old three screw model to the new system at no charge, however. you have to request it. As the three screw models are more collectable, if they converted it without your consent, they might be responsible for decreasing the value of your gun, even though they return the old parts. That might make them liable on another front. It's all about the lawyers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's been a few years since this thread started. I still have and shoot the GL. No problems yet. I also purchased a RL in 28 gauge. Again, a very fun gun to shoot. I hope 2017 finds you all well and hearty.
R J Talley