It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gold Label
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had a GL for several years now. No regulation or trigger problems today after many thousands of skeet and trap rounds. I did have a choke tube depart the gun last year. Ruger replaced the right barrel, re-blued the entire gun, times the action, replaced both firing pins and got the gun back to me with a new set of chokes in under 4 weeks. I've had no problems since then. I'm 6'3" with a 38 inch sleeve length. This guns fits me well with a 3/4" Kickeze pad. I got mine for about $1,750 which I think was a fair price for what was delivered.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Hang on to it and watch your investment grow.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

In my last post here, I linked to several RGL's for sale. NONE of them sold...WoW :shock: Not even the one at "only" $2750.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claydoctor wrote:

Any future collectability the gun may have had (which is doubtful anyway, in my opinion...) has been ruined by all the work done to it. Whether done at the factory or not, it's no longer an "original" gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
claydoctor wrote:

Any future collectability the gun may have had (which is doubtful anyway, in my opinion...) has been ruined by all the work done to it. Whether done at the factory or not, it's no longer an "original" gun.

Perhaps but mitigated somewhat by work being done by Ruger. As for collectability in general, check out the going price of a Ruger Hawkeye or the Red Label trap gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Field Grade

BPGuy wrote:
In my last post here, I linked to several RGL's for sale. NONE of them sold...WoW :shock: Not even the one at "only" $2750.

You may have missed the news, but the economy is in the tank. :wink:

Expensive toys are not selling well because people have no money to buy them (or are scared to part with their money). People are also selling off expensive toys to make mortgage payments.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:13 am 
Tournament Grade

How about this, I hang on to it, shoot the $%@@ out of it and watch my pleasure grow. That way all of the ruining Ruger did to it won't get in the way of its value to the ultimate collector....me. Whether or not this gun ever has collector value or not is completely irrevelant to me. I bought it as a shooter and I use it like a shooter and shoot it does. I used it for ducks a few times, I don't think it was at it's best there. For high desert chuckar though, it's the Kats meow. Every ounce counts when you are at 4,000' and the sun is beating down with temps in the high 101s, 104s. That's when this gun comes into its own. I love it and have no plans to part with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree that the Ruger Gold Label fits into the collectible category of firearms. Artifacts produced in small numbers with a recognizable name generally attract collectors. Having said that, I think there are better alternatives for the sportsman that chooses to use a classic side by side shotgun. For what ever reason, CSMC's vision and execution of the RBL design resulted in a good product and acceptable price. Most folks that have one are satisfied, I am.

I think the reason the Ruger Gold Label will be sought after by collectors is its rarity not its design, functional properties, reliability or looks (darn that single trigger). At present and all things considered, asking $2,750 for a used Gold Label seems very optimistic if the intended use is a primary hunting SxS shotgun. If I didn't already have a 12 and 20 ga RRL, I would certainly rather spend $2,750 on 2 RRL's than 1 RGL! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Couldn't agree more, Willieboy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not sure why the rumor of barrel regulation on the gold label still persits. Ruger's method of barrel regulation almost makes it impossible for the barrels to be out of alignment, unless something drastically goes wrong in process, and if that happened, they would have to shut down the operation and correct. Not something that slips by and out the door without notice. As a matter of fact, Ruger is one of a few (one other I think) that mfgs barrels in this manner.

Trigger problem is real and this is why: In order to keep costs down, Ruger tried to use same trigger system as the RRL. Ok, now take a look at the room for this mechanism housed in an O/U RRL, and the room in the SxS GL. Not enough room. Ruger evidently decided to forge ahead rather than spend the money and time for a better trigger.

My opinion only, if Bill were alive, the Gold Label would be available in 12, 20 and probably 28ga by now. (doubt he would have made a 16, too bad)
When new management came in it became all about the $$$$$. Not that any business doesn't, but Bill was a different cat, he would sacrifice money and at times delay products to the market until he had it "right" I don't think present management follows the same philosophy or vision of Bill.

I also believe that problems people are experiencing with the RRL are in part due to new management.

Have a new Citoir? They can have just as many issues, and with little regard from Customer Service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oddgauge wrote:
Not sure why the rumor of barrel regulation on the gold label still persits.

Not a rumor... talk to any one of the many dissatisfied owners...

RRL's are known for frequent barrel regulations problems...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ever been to Ruger's production facility? Do you know how it is done?
I will agree there were some issues in quality control on some Gold Labels, and I do not know when those particular guns were mfg'd. Ruger people all very tight lipped (about all products not just the GL) I have my suspicions and some "people" I know helped substantiate those suspicions. Because I have no proof, I will not state them here.

Whenever someone professes "barrels are out of regulation" or my chokes must not be concentric, or whatever..." I take it all with grain of salt. I am not their gunsmith, I have not seen or inspected their gun. I am guessing many do not know, then read rumors on these boards, and then lo and behold...they have that problem too.

Many people including many on this forum recommend the RBL as a better choice than the GL, but several of the experts and "people" I know and trust called the RBL "junk"
Now I wouldn't go that far, but to these individuals, quality is taken to extreme. They didn't NOT recommend the GL to me, Its short comings were explained, as were the qualities of several other makes. but simply there are better guns out there. Well, Duh. Never said the GL was greatest made gun on planet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tons of people seem to be "Experts" based on hear-say. You know, it takes all kinds of folks to make the world go round, some are born Adam Henrys, others seem to gravitate that way when they can't get the things they want. The Germans even have a name for it, "shadenfruede" (my spelling is most likely none to accurate) it means, roughly, that it's not enough for you to succede, your friends have to fail before you can be happy. So, I have a GL and like it. I patterned it awhile back and both barrels center the pattern at 40 yards. Also, no trigger problmes to date. The ejectors are weak, kinda sissy like but that's ok too as I'm a reloader. Others get some perverse please in telling me what a POS I have. I couldn't care less. I'm happy and satisfied. All of the nattering nabobs of criticism can go pound sand up their butts as far as I'm concerned. Sheesh!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I couldn't be more pleased with my GL except that I don't shoot it as often as I would like. Damn job keeps getting in the way.
I am almost slobbering on myself for dove season to open. Starting to load some shells this weekend in preparation!

I have also found this to be my experience, in defending my GL, most people who complain about it, tell you how bad a choice you made, better guns out there, etc don't own one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

BPGuy wrote:

Why is it that there is always someone to jump up to report negative things or "not selling" news, but when the same gun is selling no one says "BOO". Here are four Gold Labels sold on Gunbroker auction # 131788042 used at $3400, auction # 132690853 used at $3100, and auction # 135827688 used at $3200 and auction # 137020751 used at $2999. Looks like Tommy Guns is a Gold Label connection. He told me he has sold over 50 Gold Labels since Dec. 2004. I bought mine from him about a year ago. I think the above sale prices are a strong showing for used Gold Labels especially when the economy is in the dumps. I think anyone who owns a Gold Label can expect very good collector value in their guns in the future when the economy finally again points up! Also before you judge the Gold Label, or any gun, talk to people who own them rather than rip on the guns because for one reason or another you don't have the money to buy one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

RJ, your collector value is approaching zero. If I were you, I would sell me your GL right now, I will give you your original purchase price of $1750 and ignore any work Ruger did to it.

I think that is a win-win deal. I would surely hate to see you hang on to a giant "boat anchor" , better take my offer while it is still on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Saw one at my gunshop today. Couldn't make out the exact price but appeared to be north of $3K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Oddgauge, I think the moral and ethical thing to do is to keep it and eat my loss. I wouldn't dream of burdening you with such a poor example of an American side by side. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

R J Talley wrote:
All of the nattering nabobs of criticism can go pound sand up their butts as far as I'm concerned. Sheesh!

I am going to quote you, with your permission of course, at the next opportune time.

Well said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I appreciate your concern for me RJ. I was only trying to save you from the same fate!

I think some just do not appreciate the sacrifice some of us are making by keeping the junk out of the hands of others.

Anyone buy a choke from Briley for the GL? I am thinking about ordering the Lt Mod choke for it. Using the Lt mod might be the only way to make this scrap heap shootable.