CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger Customer Service
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I just wanted to share something with y'all.

About 6-7 weeks ago, I decided I was going to do some "serious" shooting with my RRL 28 ga. Over the course of maybe 2 weeks, I shot about 400 rounds on the skeet field. At the end, I noticed there was a crack in the stock! It started at the lower right hand corner of the top tang (where the safety is), and travelled about half way towards the trigger. I called Ruger, they said send it in, if it's "under warranty" they'd fix it for free, if not, I'd have to pay for it.

So, off it goes. I wait about two weeks, no word, so I give them a call. They looked it up and said yeah, we received it, the stock is cracked, it's under warranty, we'll fix it. About two weeks later, it comes back with a new stock installed, and they returned the old one, too. All it cost me was to ship it out.

My only complaint: The new stock seems to be quite a bit "more plain" than the original was. :? Even on that, I have to admit that it's not too bad looking, and it should be stronger, as the grain flows correctly. Other than that, it couldn't have gone any better. It took less than a month total, including shipping both directions to get my gun back.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

Post subject: Re: Ruger Customer Service
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Good on ya! That's one of the reasons we bought Rugers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 pm 
Limited Edition

You are lucky. The openning day of early wood duck season, the tang that holds the forearm broke off on my camo all weather stainless and it was having the issues with the barrels not firing. I made the mistake of taking mine back to the dealer because it was only a couple of months old and I had only shot maybe 10 shells thru it and I thought I would get treated right since it was practically brand new and Ruger has such a good rep or so I thought. I ended up having to pay $30 to ship it there and then $30 to have it shipped back and I had to wait 6 months to get it back because it had to be repainted. I was furious becuase I should not have had to pay anything or wait at all because it was a brand new gun. Needless to say, I ended up using my old stoeger condor that duck season. When I got it back, had I been able to get anything remotely close to what I paid for it, I would have sold it and gone back to the condor. I have since used it several more duck seasons and feel comfortable enough that it is working properly and that it is a very well made gun now that the kinks are worked out of it.

By the way, if you look further down in the posts here, you will see where I was asking what the gun was worth. I hated it so much because of the way I was treated that I just wanted to get rid of it at just about any cost. It is now working great, but had someone offered me half of what it was worth back then, they would have gotten a great deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JimFromTN wrote:
I was furious becuase I should not have had to pay anything or wait at all because it was a brand new gun.

So the guy with the older gun should go to the back of the line? I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it's first in, first out... you don't get to jump the line just because your gun is newer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Not newer, brand new. I think theres a difference between a 20 year old gun and taking a gun out for the first time and it falls apart in your hands. There should be no $60 shipping charges and waiting 6 months because the gun had to be redipped. It should be, here is a brand new gun to replace your brand new gun that had obvious factory defects that you spent over $1000 for, we are very very sorry for the inconvenience. At least, thats what happens when something like that happens with other manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

JimFromTN wrote:
Not newer, brand new. I think theres a difference between a 20 year old gun and taking a gun out for the first time and it falls apart in your hands. There should be no $60 shipping charges and waiting 6 months because the gun had to be redipped. It should be, here is a brand new gun to replace your brand new gun that had obvious factory defects that you spent over $1000 for, we are very very sorry for the inconvenience. At least, thats what happens when something like that happens with other manufacturers.

6 months is a long time, too long, but the shipping thing is industry standard. The only companies I know of that cover the shipping charge on warranty repairs are those that are battling reputations for bad service.

I had to pay shipping to send back the barrel on my Remington 870, and again when the first replacement barrel turned out to be defective. Though, I didn't pay the return shipping and I do see our point on that.