CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Label top lever location question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

My father has an older 20 ga Red Label and the top lever is left of center on lock-up. I told him that usually means it's worn and the locking mech. needs to be tightened up. Is that correct for these guns? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Red Label top lever location question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Many years ago, I had a chance to buy a 20 gauge Red Label that also had two sets of sub-gauge tubes. As I knew I would be the third owner I was concerned about how much it had been shot. I called Ruger to ask if the opening lever position was an indication of the amount of wear to the gun. I was told that the position of the opening level did not matter and should not be used as an indicator of wear.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks. That's good news.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

GEODUXX wrote:
My father has an older 20 ga Red Label and the top lever is left of center on lock-up. I told him that usually means it's worn and the locking mech. needs to be tightened up. Is that correct for these guns? Thanks.

I believe the conventional wisdom of assessing wear by the top lever being right of center only applies to some models, such as the Browning Citori.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

My father called Ruger and was told the lever should be right of center. Once it goes left of center, it's rebuild time... They want him to send it in. It just seems odd that the locking mechanism is worn out but the gun externally shows almost no wear. I think he's going to sell it...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ruger has very good costomer service , Did they give a price to fix it ?
I sent an older one in for work when I had a ejector problem and the gun came back fixed plus they replaced a lot that had become worn all at no cost other than my shipping it to them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

No price. I'll let him know about your experience. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, everyone. First post.

I bought my Red Label 20 gauge in 2002. I use it for quail hunting and five stand, which I do at least once a week, but usually twice. The top lever was right of center when new. Since that time I've put approximately 40,000 rounds through the gun, and the lever had moved to dead center. A couple of months ago I sent the Red Label in to have the vent rib straightened after the gun slipped out of its scabbard on my horse (the strap broke) and landed on rock. When I got it back from Ruger, the top lever was back to right of center. Ruger had checked the gun out completely, and replaced several things at their discretion. And they didn't charge me a dime, even for the bent rib, which was totally my fault. As far as I'm concerned, Ruger's service is outstanding.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ruger is an A+ company! They stand behind their products and will repair any damage for free. That is why I own more than 40 of their rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the- line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right for about $109.95. That's right.