CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rugers pattern tight?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, it was said today by another, and my tests confirm it. The Ruger patterns at least a choke tighter, depending on the loads speed. Faster brings it closer to size it should be. Anyone else have this same observation? Is it the over-boring, the chokes, what? My patterns were shot with 7/8 and 1oz through Carlsons extended tubes. Not the only person to see this, just wanted to know if they're all like that and why.

Post subject: Re: Rugers pattern tight?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Well, if your barrels are "over-bore" and your choke tubes are standard, there's your answer. I ran into the same thing with a De Haan shotgun; it was "over-bored" by .015". I ordered some extended choke tubes Sk/Sk, but the patterns were very tight for skeet chokes. Eventually I figured it out - the choke tubes were Sk for standard bore barrels. In standard bores, they were .005" constriction, which = Skeet. In my gun, though, they were actually .020" constriction, or Modified, much too tight for skeet (it was for me, anyway!).

So, if your barrels are over-bored and your choke tubes are for standard bores, that would explain why they're patterning tighter than expected or marked.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Nope, already looked at that. The Carlsons extended tube used was a Light Mod, .725 constriction. That amounts to .015 worth of choke. But the patterns were much tighter than a Benelli Legacy with extended Light Mod Choke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

How do the Ruger factory chokes pattern, with the same loads?

Based on the available information, this sounds like a Carlsons issue, not a Ruger issue.

If you stick with the Carlsons chokes, at least you now know how to calibrate choke for your specific needs. And if the bird breaks (or falls, as the case may be) - does the rest become simply academic?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

It may or may not be a Carlson's issue, but it doesn't seem quite as likely. As both chokes are Light Mod, and each firearm has a different bore, the chokes have different numerical constrictions, with the same percentage of bore constriction. So patterns should remain on par, regardless, right? Looking at it that way, with the Ruger having a LARGER bore, and LARGER choke (numerical) constriction, you'd have a larger pattern. That's of course theoretically, and as we've all found at the pattern board, there's just not that much difference in 12 and 20 gauges, so whats a little more or less bore right? Shouldn't see it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
Here's the first 7/8 oz load I ever patterned, with standard shot. Now all I use is magnum shot, so not sure what change that would have made to these numbers, but with confidence in the load, not gonna recheck em.
7/8 oz load of #7.5 Lawrence Shot= 178.72 Pellets from a Carlson's Light Mod in the Legacy at 1250 (published) f.p.s Thats an average of 5 shots counted, and a long waste of my life countin. :) On the Red Labels end, same day, same load, same choke manuf. and constriction, it worked out to be 201.42 pellets. Not significantly different, but still. It's a better core density. Should have done each with a box to be a little more accurate, but not really patterning for pellet count, looking for holes. Wanted to know that neither gun was just blowing shot to the four corners of the earth and the bird was giggling all the way to the ground.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=232638#ixzz10OX4bMMz

There's a quote from another post in reloading asking about over-bored barrels patterning tighter or not. It seems to have stopped on Monday, with no more responses. Do these numbers look tight, loose, what's the deal? I thought they looked much tighter in the Red Label, but wasn't sure what a true Light Mod should have looked like. Especially shooting a 7/8 oz load in a 12 ga.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

It looks as though the Ruger patterned a little tighter. Using just rough numbers the shot count from a 7/8 oz. load of 7.5's is around 306 pellets.
Doing simple math and again rough numbers it looks like the Ruger patterned at about 64% which might be more of a modified. The pattern from the Legacy using 179 pellets is about 59%-60%, a little bit more loose. Not really enough difference there to worry about in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

read the Carlson charts; they are tighter for ruger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 am 
Presentation Grade

My Gold Label patterns a little tight. The SK choke measured .008 constriction, and the IC choke measured .012 with my bore gauge. "Normal' constrictions for SK and IC are .005 and .010 respectively. I actually like my slightly tight SK and IC patterns. Knock the clays and birds for a loop. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

If the over bored Ruger barrel is the cause, wouldn't this also be the case with the Mossberg barrels, both using the same size choke constriction and barrel lengths? It's been said that the Mossberg barrels come over bored from the factory but I haven't noticed any difference in patterns in my Mossberg -vs- Remington 870 Wingmaster comparison, using the same size choke constriction (measured I.D. of choke, not just going by what named choke was written on it), ammo, and barrel lengths. The only thing I didn't check to see if they were the same was the over all total length of the chokes. I also didn't check to confirm that the inside of the Mossberg barrel was in fact over bored, I just took it in good faith that the saying is true about them being over bored from the factory. If the saying is wrong about the factory over bored Mossberg barrels, please correct me. My results on patterns at 40 yards between the two pump shotguns was that the Remington model 870 Wingmaster had a little tighter pattern than the Mossberg pump shotgun. If I'm not mistaken the Remington model 870 Wingmaster barrels I.D. bore is 730, correct? I was unaware that Ruger barrels are factory over bored as well.