It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire the Target Gray!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:44 am 
Utility Grade

I took my Stoeger and Ruger out and shot some skeet and trap. I shot the Condor II first. It functioned flawlessly and I did okay. I say okay, because I am only in my second year of shotgunning, and I have only shot skeet on 1 prior occasion. I am going to shave off about 3/8" off of the stock, and bring the comb down about 1/4". The reason I say this, is because on my next round of skeet and with the new Red Label, I shot 6 points higher. I attribute this to the fit of the Ruger. It's amazing what shooting a shotgun that fits will do for your score! I shot another round of skeet with the Condor, and dropped back down a few points, but again the gun functioned without a hitch. On the trap course, it was mostly practice at shooting flushing birds. I probably hit just over 50%, but mostly because we were tired and not taking ourselves too seriously. Even with skeet chokes, I managed to hit most of the birds from the 24 yd positions (Is that even correct? We didn't know exactly what we were doing, and at what distances we were supposed to be at!)

All in all, I would say that I am as pleased as punch with both guns. I got a lot of compliments about the Target Gray finish. As far as durability, only time will tell. I'm going to shoot more before dove season, so I'll post again about my progress with the Ruger. I'll also let ya'll know how the Condor shoots after I tune the stock.

Cricman

Post subject: Re: Fire the Target Gray!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:46 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'm not trying to get into your buisness but when someone makes a comment about shaving off 3/8 inch of stock before he has patterned his shotgun makes me a little nervous.
Please take your time and pattern the gun several times after each 1/8" taken off to make sure your not going too far.
Have a great day and a better one tommorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:08 am 
Utility Grade

Hey, no problem. Actually, I goofed up and forgot to say that the dimensions that I am using will make the Condor the dimensional equivalent to the Red Label, which points very naturally for me. The stock on the Condor is extra long, because the original owner added a 1/16" spacer and a 1" thick pad. Removing the 3/8" will give me the same comfy length of pull as the Target Gray. I agree, as far as removing such a large chunk of stock at once, without a reference, or repeated trials. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

cricman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't own a Ruger shotgun but I have two Ruger rifles finished in their "target grey" finish. I have had no issues with the durability of target grey.