It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ejector problem on Red Label
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:06 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Red Label 20 ga, 50th Anniversary model. Recently, I've had a problem with the ejector on the lower barrel. With certain brands of ammo (Fiocci & Winchester), when I place a shell in the barrel, it occasionally falls past the ejector. I then have to pull it out or the gun won't close. If I use Remington STS, this never happens.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? Is it just bad ammo or should I send the gun in for repair?

Post subject: Re: Ejector problem on Red Label
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:37 pm 
Crown Grade

WHOOPS!!! Wrong forum...

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'd get it checked with your gunsmith,may be bent or worn ejectors.-Nick,why is this the wrong forum?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

It was just a joke... I'm known on this board as not liking the RRL's very much and when I saw that there was a problem with one, I thought I'd voice myself...

Sorry if you think it was in poor taste...

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:23 pm 
I've had the same problem with Fiocchi's in my RL. I've also had the same problem with Fiocchi's in my Beretta. Other members of my informal skeet group have had the same problem in Citoris, Weatherbys and just about any kind of autoloader you can name. We've even had trouble with 870's and Mossy 500's. SOmhow I don't think it's the guns!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:45 pm 
Crown Grade

French Double wrote:
SOmhow I don't think it's the guns!

My shotgun, clay target reloading experience began in 1970.

I don't think in this case I am influenced by nostalgia for the "good ol days" but it seems to me in the last 15 years there is more substandard ammo out there compared to the AA's, Rem RXP's and Fed that were almost exclusively used at the clubs I shot at back then.

It may be the extremely price concious market we seem to have today may be lowering the standards these days more than in the past.

I believe this is why at least some of these problems occur.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an RRL 20, but have only put 2 boxes of ammo thru it, so not really acquainted with the gun yet.

If I have trouble with minewithin the next 5 years, I'll probably get rid of it. I didn't pay $1000 for it to turn around and take it to a gun smith !!!.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:54 am 
Gee, I used to be able to spell.
My informal skeet club just bought a bunch of Winchester Super Speed shells. We changed brands due to the problems we were having with Fiocchis. None of us have noticed any ejection problems but we have found some with loose crimps and also some squib loads.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:27 am 
Field Grade

Problem solved. I traded the Red Label in for a Beretta Blackwing. It shoots anything I feed it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:30 am 
I worked with Red labels all summer and we had 7 of the 11 fail due to the ejector problems on our 12 gu's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:05 am 
Knock on wood ... I have new 20 and 28 Engraved Models that have not had any trouble. Shoot Sporting clays with them often. Shot my highest score ever (in any gauge including 12) at a large tournament last time out with the 20.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:00 am 
Tournament Grade

I have had my Red Label since 1981 and have put many shells through it on live birds, trap & skeet and have NOT experienced the ejector problem with anyones ammo. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GSonnen: I know of 3 different people that shoots Ruger Red Label's, 28 gauge an they all have the same problem with the Fiocchi an Cheddite hulls. They don't have any problem with STS's or AA hulls getting past the injectors when loading, so it must be a problem with the other hulls. It can't be bent ejectors or it wouldn't eject the STS's or AA's I would think.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I had this problem with my 28 ga., no matter what brand hull I used. Sent it back to Ruger. It took two trips, but they fixed it free of charge, and even replaced the stock free of charge, even though I told them that I damaged it. Ended up replacing both ejectors, safety detent springs, and some other small parts that escape me right now. It's functioned for over 1000 rounds since, without a hitch. They have definitely earned a life long customer. I've also got a stainless 12ga, and have had no issues, with several thousand rounds fired.